Author Topic: 7-12  (Read 3861 times)

Mono

7-12
« on: August 27, 2008, 06:01:35 am »
Hi everyone. I have a question about the 7-12. My doctor told me that the procedure had to be made within a year. Otherwise the muscles would have hibernated too long to come back to life.
I had my operation in April 2007, so now I’m 16 months post op. What is your experience with this? Have anyone had the 7-12 done after one year?
The reason for me not having it was that there was/is some regeneration of movement in my face. But I would like to know if I still have the option.

I was originally diagnosed in 1996 and had my first surgery that year. Lost my hearing on my right ear but that was it. The surgeons intentionally left some of the tumor untouched (it was big) because removing it completely would have left me with a paralyzed face. I was only 25 at the time.  Since then I had radiation but it kept growing.  So last year I went through surgery again. This time we agreed on a more aggressive approach but still with the bearing in mind not to damage my nerve.  I had full facial function the first 24 hours post op, but after that all sensation/movement went away. Now I’m waiting (impatiently) for my face to come alive again. I’m from Denmark (Europe).  There is only one doctor who performs the surgery here in Denmark.  Same one did both my surgeries.

Please bear with me as English is not my native language  :)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: 7-12
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:08:41 am »
Hi Mono and welcome! Good to have you here and hoping you find answers you seek.. and we look forward to having you participate here. I can see you have had quite the journey..... and thank you for sharing your story with us (btw, your English is just fine!)

There is a user here named "Kaybo" who had the 7/12 (or is it 12/7, I always get confused by it)...   Her's was done this past year and so far, her results have been terrific (I've seen her progression pictures and they look great).  She can share her process with you (as can many others here) but her name came to me first (sorry folks!).

Hoping she will be able to post here and advise... you can also send her a Private Mail/PM here on the site to speak to her directly.

Again, welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:25:53 am »
Mono~
Hello and welcome!
I had AN surgery 12.5 years ago (when I, too, was 25).  After a year, and absolutely NO movement, I got the 12/7.  It gave me a LITTLE movement, but more than anything it helped to "rejuvinate" my face since it was now hooked up to a "live wire" (nerve).  I don't know if you have to get it within the first year or not.  Lori67 is scheduled to have it within the next few months and off-hand I cannot remember exactly how many months out she is.  You probably want to contact her or she might chime in here.  I had the T3 (Temporalis Tendon Transfer) at the end of March - I think that is what Phyl is referring to (because that is the most recent pictures) and have been VERY pleased with the results.  You can check out my blog (address below) if you would like to see the pictures from that - just go to the end of March.  "Nancyann" let me know about that - you probably want to talk to her too because she got the T3 and never did the 12/7...

Please contact me if I can help you anymore!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:42:13 am »
Hi Mono and welcome!

First, I have to agree with Phyl that your English is wonderful!  Second, I have to say that I've always wanted to go to Denmark.  I hear it is so beautiful there.

Ok, now back to business...  Kaybo is right, I'm having the 7-12 in early October.   I had my initial surgery February of 2007, so I'm well beyond a year out.  My doctor had mentioned doing it at a year, but I wasn't completely convinced that my nerve wouldn't miraculously recover on its own, so we decided to wait until I hit 18 months post-op and then make a decision.  Well, no miracles happened, so, we scheduled the surgery.

I was never told there was a cut off and if I remember correctly, I seem to remember my doctor saying I could have the procedure done at any time.  I could be wrong, but I didn't get the impression that there was any sense of urgency.

Not to keep passing you along to someone else, but Carrie (CMP) had the 7-12 and said it was the best thing she could have done.  Hopefully she will pick up this thread and add her insight.  Feel free to PM me if you need any more info or if I can help in any way.  Or if you need an American visitor in Denmark!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:32:44 am »
thanks K and lori (you angel with 1/2 witted halo!)..... I try to keep up with everyone's procedures but glad you all chimed in with your stories/experiences... I stand corrected on the T3 and 7-12..... all these numbers.. geesh! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 12:49:04 pm »
I know!  It's like our own secret code!  Maybe we should sell decoder rings!  $$$$$$$   ;D

Last time I was at the doctor's office and decided on the 7-12, I had to bring the paperwork to the surgery scheduler.  Well, the normal one was off that day, so someone else in the office was covering, and she thought the doctor meant he wanted to see me back in the office on July 12th!    Since it was already August, she was a little confused as to why he had to see me specifically on the 12th of July - next year!  So, you're not the only one who can't keep all the numbers straight.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 01:03:04 pm »
Lori~
That's funny!!    ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 05:50:44 pm »
Hi Mono:  Just catching up here with everyone.   At your age I would definitely without a doubt go for the 7/12 or cross nerve graft ( my preference),   I personally chose not to have a nerve graft b/c I was 51 y.o.,  a smoker at the time, & was scared about another nerve graft (my own paranoia).   

I did choose the T3 surgery which K also had, & am very happy with the results;  however,  I'm still paralyzed on my right side, my face is just lifted back to normal, & I get a 'Mona Lisa' smile when I gently bite down on my back teeth.

So my friend,  think about what's best for you.

Always good thoughts,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Mono

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 04:38:01 am »
Hi all,

Sorry about my absence but lots of things came up (new job). I just want to say thank you very much for all your answers. It is really nice to be able to "talk to" people which understands you. Makes it a whole lot easier you don’t have to explain yourself.

Seeing my doctor this Friday and the MR scanning images taken last week... Very exciting what they show. Did get scanned right after my surgery in April 07, but he was not sure if it was a swelling or remains of the tumor which was visible. So I'm hoping it was just some swelling and I'm actually cured  :o  ;D We'll see.

lori67 hope your 7-12 went as planned. If you should ever come to Europe and Denmark our door is open. That  goes for the rest of you as well  :)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 05:51:14 am »
The fact that you had movement immediately after surgery is in your favor for regeneration. See http://neurosurgery.mgh.harvard.edu/CranialBaseCenter/b95.htm especially the section on Predicting Facial Nerve Recovery.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 06:23:14 am »
Be careful who you invite; we may just show up!  :D
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.