Author Topic: Fatigue & Focus  (Read 9030 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Fatigue & Focus
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 02:46:19 pm »
Awww. Anne Marie, I'm sorry you are hurting.  Hugs across the miles, and a kiss on the forehead.  Well, let's face it, our head is the center of our universe and it's a darn fantastic place what with eyes, and ears, and all that thinking we have to do, and everything!  Now, if some stupid thing goes haywire in there, our poor wee heads aren't very happy. Doctors specialize now and don't think about the whole body healing, or something along those lines.  Maybe we need to build our own AN Spa Resort, where we can learn things, and get massages, and pedicures, and float in the warm water, and be pampered.  We'd have Tai Chi and Yoga and healthy foods and soothing Yanni music and green tea and meditation and group  therapy in the afternoon, and a bubbling brook to walk beside and it'd just be wonderful.  *sigh*    So go there in your mind, while you lay down and rest for a little bit, and just imagine yourself in a place like that, and walk around the beautiful gardens and the blue pools and the slight warm breeze rustling the trees, and somewhere somebody is cooking something that smells really good and later on you'll be having that for dinner.  Then, after the body massage, the foot rub and pedi, and after the tea and scones, you can walk down the path to the ocean where the cove is waiting for you. There you can sit under the shade of a big umbrella and watch the waves roll in from the crystal blue sea, and the distant white clouds are pretty against the blue of the sky and the seagulls cry softly as they fly out to sea.  It's the most beautiful, peaceful place you have ever been, and there is no hurry, no speed, no rush, no obligations to do anything but to rest and to enjoy your surroundings.  You aren't even going to have to tip the wait staff, because it's all included in your free trip to this luxury Spa. 

I hope this helps!

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 03:26:33 pm »
What's the address?  I'm there in my mind.  Thanks Dr Sue, to my rescue! :-* :-* :-*

Anyone want to join Dr Sue and I?

Anne Marie

P.S. May be our Capt and Cruise Director can have a special place like this on our big old boat as we're cruisin the high seas!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 09:05:05 pm by yardtick »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 04:25:15 pm »
I want to come - I promise I will be quiet & peaceful...do you think it will stay this calm & peaceful with Jan, Lori & me there????????????????????

K   ;)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 06:33:56 pm »
I was going to try to say something about ignoring the raucous Pirates over in the bar, but didn't want to disrupt the calming influence I was trying to convey to Anne Marie.  ;D

Of course you can join us. *Psst, Anne Marie, there goes the neighborhood * ;)   Then maybe the Goode Ship PBW can anchor in the  cove, and the party can be on board, and Anne Marie, me  and those of us at the Spa, can wander over to the party, once we have achieved our one with the universe thing. Ohhhhmmmmmmmmm.  :D

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

yardtick

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 09:10:25 pm »
I can't believe I made all those errors in my post from 5:26.  That goes to show how much I was hurting and what it does to my focus.  No wonder I'm on disability.

Anyone see The Doctors Show today?  Botox for headaches and a bonus for wrinkles.....I might see if my insurance will pay for this and than I'm off to Dr Sue's Spa ;)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 11:51:33 pm »
I think I've created Fantasy Island!  De plane, de plane!!

Sue in Van WA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leharner

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 08:56:58 am »
Sue -
Thank You so much for that article!!!  I was really feeling like I was a train-wreck having symptoms it didn't seem others were having. This particular paragraph hit it exactly! and I thought I was just losing my mind!!!

"Unlikely as [/sub] it seems, vestibular damage can cause memory problems. Here is why. When you damage your vestibular system, keeping your balance is now largely a conscious effort, not the automatic effortless procedure it once was. Consequently, those areas of your brain that you once just used for thought and memory, now must constantly work on keeping you balanced. As a result, your memory may suffer. You may grope for words when talking. You may easily forget what is being spoken about during a conversation. You may be easily distracted. You may have difficulty comprehending directions or instructions. You may have trouble concentrating and may feel disoriented at times."[/i]

Solrry I am late to the discussion here, but I just wanted to say that I understand exactly how you feel. I have a small an on my right side that causes listing and frequent balance challenges too. On bad days, it can be really hard stringing 2 thoughts together. A small problem since I teach for the Park Service!

I know you feel like your symptioms don't "fit" most of those listed here, but neither do mine, and it seems like every time I read a post the new person doesn't think their symptoms "fit" either.

ANs are very individualized from what I have gathered reading the posts here. Research gathers symptoms across a broad range of patients and then distills it to describe the most common symptoms.

I am very interested in hearing about your experiences, since they seem so similar to my own. My AN is too small for treatment yet has a huge impact on my life. At this point I have to look for other employment because I can't stay where I work (7000 ft elevation) and I can't string 2 seperate thoughts togethr on bad days. So in many ways I am envious of your ability to move on to treatment!

Thanks for sharing,
Laura

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 09:08:57 am »
Hey Anne, just wanted to let you know I read article regarding botox for headaches and small amounts of botox being absorbed in the brain stem.  Might want to check with your doctor before he injects you!  Don't know if this study was a good one, and sorry I don't have the article anymore  :(, but just wanted to give you a "heads up" here. You probably could "google" this to find it.  I'm sure I was on Medscape for this. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

JustMe

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 03:17:25 pm »
Hi Just and welcome. Good to have you here participating and hoping that all here are sharing that will help you along this journey.

There is a brochure I had posted here re: brain tumors (all types) and fatigue and how they go hand in hand. It doesn't matter if it's malignant or benign, but there are definate signs of the relationship between the 2 (brain tumors and fatigue).  If you click on this link, then scroll to the 2nd post by Stein, you will see in his post the link for the brochure, entitled: Brain Tumors and Fatigue... written by Dr. Peter Black of Brigham/Woman's in Boston and Nancy Conn-Levin, who recently did an ANA sanctioned support group meeting (I believe in NJ):

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=1969.0

You will need Adobe Acrobat or Reader to open the file (you can download for free on the Adobe website). The brochure notes the relationship, remedies, etc.  Many here over the years have found it insightful and helpful. I share this with you now for the same reason.

Again, welcome.... and know we are here to help.

Phyl

Awesome!!  Thank You so much!!
5.4x5.4x5.7mm Diagnosed Sep08

Keri

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 01:09:18 pm »
Hello,
I'm new to this as well. My two others posts are under general AN issues where I posed lots of questions.
I'm recently diagnosed; my AN's 1.5cm; surgery scheduled 1/29.
Loss of hearing is my most recognizable problem, but my head just feels weird all the time. I'm tired (but I don't always sleep well for a variety of reasons - kids, hot flashes !), also I have the constant ringing. I feel like the left side of my head is stuffed up with something. My head just feels off balance, but it's not really dizziness.  I start sentences that forget what I'm saying. I thought most of what I've been going through is just from being middle aged. When I'm in an open big space, like a store or school hall, my head feels even more off balance. Sometimes I walk a bit like I'm tipsy. When I run, my head feels more clear and I don't feel off balance. Maybe because I'm concentrating. I don't want to complain to friends/family because I wonder if they just think I'm more aware of my problems now. I don't feel like this is stressed related, because I've been under more stress that this and don't feel this way. My symptoms are worse when I'm tired.
Any of this make sense to anyone?
Thanks!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

yardtick

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 01:24:24 pm »
Ker,i

Yes it all makes sense to me.  I sleep with the window open, so the night sweats are tolerable.  My husband hates it, but an extra blanket on his side keeps him cozy.  Fatigue and focus seem to go hand in hand.  The two F's in this battle.  There is no magic cure, other than listening to your body, especially when you come home after your surgery.  I wish you the best, Jan 29 is just around the corner.  Your friends and family may not understand everything you are going through but we certainly do on this forum.  Ask away, comment and read as much as you can about AN. 

As it has been said many times "Information Is Power"

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!!