Author Topic: Fatigue & Focus  (Read 9029 times)

JustMe

Fatigue & Focus
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:52:59 am »
Hi...
Another newbie... I'm scheduled for surgery Dec 16th. My company shuts down between Christmas & New Year's so I wanted to be able to take advantage of that PTO. Unfortunately I'm really struggling. I am sooo tired and am having a really hard time focussing. I have a pretty high level business position so this is not good. Is the fatigue and hard time focussing something everyone experiences? Any suggestions how to improve it?
5.4x5.4x5.7mm Diagnosed Sep08

Kaybo

Re: Fatigue & Focus
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:02:04 am »
Welocme to our little group! 
 I never even knew I had a tumor until right before they took it out!   ;)  Every case is vastly different in the symptoms and recovery - I know that really doesn't help, does it?  Hopefully someone can give you better insight!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:02:25 am »
Hi there,
It may be that the stress of waiting is what's causing you to have trouble concentrating.  Once I was diagnosed it was pretty hard to do my job, which also requires a high level of focus and attention.  Can you move up your surgery date?  If not, then you'll have to get really good at compartmentalizing.  Also, I would think that a therapist might come in handy for the next couple of months.  Just an opinion.
Be well,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 03:04:20 pm »
i Justme,

I want to welcome you to our group, and I am so sorry you have a reason to be part of us. This is an amazing bunch that is supportive, informative, funny, intelligent and loving.

My guess is anyone facing this serious issue would have a hard time focusing to some extent. However, people are having some of us seem to have some issues with it. You can look under Post Treatment then to Cognitive/Emotional Issues. Hope that gives you some insight. I find if I am tired I have more difficulty with focus. Sometimes a short break helps, or a nap. Then of course there is the illusive good night's sleep.

Take care and keep in touch.

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 03:12:17 pm »
Hi, Just Me and welcome  ;D

I didn't have any fatigue prior to my diagnosis or surgery, but I had lots of fatigue post op - most do.

As far as the concentration issues goes, it's probably just having too much on your mind - no pun intended.

It's normal and natural to worry about your upcoming surgery, the side-effects you will or won't encounter, etc.  At some point, before your surgery you'll probably reach a level of peace and calm; a lot of us do.

Mind if I ask, how large is your AN? and where are you having surgery?

Just curious,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JustMe

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:20:11 am »
My tumor is small 5.4x5.4x5.7mm on my right side. In addition to the headaches I've been having "episodes" for a year or more. Suddenly I feel light headed, all my color totally drains and my balance leaves me and I vear right. These "episodes" used to last a minute or so and were gone. Since Labor Day weekend they're becoming much more frequent, intense and lasting much longer, sometimes all day.

I'm being treated at the Univeristy of Wisconsin, Madison. On November 20th they're going to do another MRI of my head along with a MRI of my spine because of "how I present". From reading on this forum and my other research it seems my most bothersome symptoms are not symptoms of AN.

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 09:04:03 am »
Have you got a chance to meet Dr Gubbels who is at Wisconsin now.     He was a fellow at Univ of Iowa and is super.    He was part of my surgery this spring.
                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 09:28:39 am »
Hi,

You might want to read this: http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/balancesystem.htm

This explains why you are tired.  It's not easy for the brain to have to do all of this work that a compromised balance system causes!   This should resolve itself in time.

Best of luck to you,

Sue in Vancouver, UA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

JustMe

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 03:27:57 pm »
Sue -
Thank You so much for that article!!!  I was really feeling like I was a train-wreck having symptoms it didn't seem others were having. This particular paragraph hit it exactly! and I thought I was just losing my mind!!!

"Unlikely as [/sub] it seems, vestibular damage can cause memory problems. Here is why. When you damage your vestibular system, keeping your balance is now largely a conscious effort, not the automatic effortless procedure it once was. Consequently, those areas of your brain that you once just used for thought and memory, now must constantly work on keeping you balanced. As a result, your memory may suffer. You may grope for words when talking. You may easily forget what is being spoken about during a conversation. You may be easily distracted. You may have difficulty comprehending directions or instructions. You may have trouble concentrating and may feel disoriented at times."[/i]

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 06:03:23 am »
Hi Just and welcome. Good to have you here participating and hoping that all here are sharing that will help you along this journey.

There is a brochure I had posted here re: brain tumors (all types) and fatigue and how they go hand in hand. It doesn't matter if it's malignant or benign, but there are definate signs of the relationship between the 2 (brain tumors and fatigue).  If you click on this link, then scroll to the 2nd post by Stein, you will see in his post the link for the brochure, entitled: Brain Tumors and Fatigue... written by Dr. Peter Black of Brigham/Woman's in Boston and Nancy Conn-Levin, who recently did an ANA sanctioned support group meeting (I believe in NJ):

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=1969.0

You will need Adobe Acrobat or Reader to open the file (you can download for free on the Adobe website). The brochure notes the relationship, remedies, etc.  Many here over the years have found it insightful and helpful. I share this with you now for the same reason.

Again, welcome.... and know we are here to help.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 07:19:41 am »
Hi JustMe-

I think that the fatigue and lack of focus you describe is fairly common in the recently diagnosed.  I certainly suffered from the lack of focus!  The reasons are probably a combination of physiological and psychological.  Stress can definitely affect your abiltiy to conentrate - and I don't know of too many things more stressful than being told you have a brain tumor!  ;D

Give yourself some time to process everything.  And, if you can, try to lighten your load at work a little.  As a business owner, I found that last bit of advice a little hard to take myself, but it is worth it if you can do it. 

The decision to tell the people you work with about this is highly personal; in my case, I finally decided to tell my inner-circle of colleagues because I felt that they needed to know why I was so forgetful and "not present" sometimes.  They were all amazingly supportive, which was a big help to me, both before and after treatment.

Hang in there!

Debbi, enjoying fall in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

pauline

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 08:22:41 am »
Hi,

I have balance, tinnitus and fatigue issues also!  The Brain and Fatigue article is great
for understanding what you are going through!  You are now part of a great site that
has helped me through my continuing AN journey!  All the people that have responded have been
so much help to me as I read all their comments and support for all the people who
log on!  Much luck to you in your surgery!

Pauline
Pianist & Piano Teacher
Diagnosed 6/27/08
Watch and Wait

mk

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 09:49:04 am »
Interesting topic about fatigue. I had been battling fatigue pre-diagnosis for more than a decade. When I complained to my doctor he was always like "It is due to the pregnancies, or chasing the kids around, or stress at work etc". Looking back I realize that the period when this was happening coincided with the time I estimate the AN was growing, so I am pretty convinced that they are related.

I have  been wondering for some time now, why do brain tumors cause fatigue. Is it that they release some sort of chemicals, or hormones, or is it because of their effect on surrounding brain structures? Any ideas anyone? Has anyone read any research on this?

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 11:37:34 am »
Marianna, if you will scroll up to the blue paragraph, that explains why we lucky AN people can get tired.  It all ties into the damage done to our balance nerve.  Other tumors, I don't know why.  I suppose it is because it is putting stress on the brain to have something there that shouldn't be.  I suppose some doctor will take exception to that, but sounds good, huh?  ;)

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 12:35:16 pm »
Dr Sue,

Maybe you should talk to most of the Drs out there.  Some are so stumped by the fatigue, focusing issues, headaches and facial pain.  Some feel that the tumour has been removed so move on, the rest is in your head.  Haha, I'm so funny....it is all in my head.  I really hurt today :'(

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games