Author Topic: eye make-up  (Read 11291 times)

jgr01

Re: eye make-up
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 05:21:53 pm »
Once I got back to actually wearing make up, I found using an eye lash curler helped. I have an isue with allogator tearing when I eat so usually by 9a.m. I only have mascara on one eye. Thank goodness for glasses, I haven't found I waterproof mascara I like yet.
1CM middle focca 9/27/08  Dr. Wiet- Ear Institute of Chicago

Jan D

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 08:06:39 pm »
I have had the same experience with getting eye infections everytime I tried to use eye makeup.  If anyone has found a good brand of mascara and liner that doesn't cause a problem, I would love to hear of it.

Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

calimama

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 12:32:27 pm »
So is the heated eye lash curler a go?? I tried the waterproof mascara on the AN eye and it didn't really help, i think because the lashes are sort of flat. That was few weeks ago, i gave up after the first try. I guess i am revisiting the whole idea...

Thanks,
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Kaybo

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 06:11:08 pm »
I liked the heated but now that I am putting mascare on my AN eye, I have gone back to the "old-fashioned" curler - I can't feel that eye so I curl it really good and I love it b/c those lashes are so much longer!!  I just put mascara on the TOP though!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 06:32:51 pm »
I still can't muster up the courage for mascara.  I also notice that the upper lashes on my AN eye slant straight down now, rather than culring up like the other eye.  I suspect that this is all related to the nerves, but it would probably look weirder if I put mascara on it - best not to draw attention!   ;)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 06:43:44 pm »
Debbie:   Sometimes I 'gently' use my eyelash curler to help with the AN eye.  Works like a charm.  I never liked using mascara even before this AN business.

Always good thoughts to all,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 09:52:38 pm »
I don't know if anyone has brought this up but it is just a reminder.  As a cosmetologist for over 40 years and a former Lancome makeup artist, throw your mascara out after two months.  Don't pump the wand into the tube.  It creates all kinds of bacteria problems and NEVER, EVER share your mascara or other eye makeup no matter what the gal at the makeup counter says.  Look at a two month old mascara wand under a microscope!  Just say yuck!!
Look for a hypo-allergenic brand, it is the brush that does the job, so if you find a brush you like you can use it with any brand mascara.  Curlers are a great idea, but clean them after each use.  Alcohol works great.  Keep your makeup brushes clean too.  At least once a week, most can be cleaned with a gentle shampoo and rinse well with very warm water until the water runs clear.  Dry them laying down on a thickness of paper towels.
Okay, that's my lessons for today!  Gotta protect your eyes and your skin!!
Brenda ::)
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

calimama

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 02:43:10 pm »
Brenda! Great stuff thanks. I know not to share mascara (though sure did not heed this my teens!) but i never heard not to "pump" the wand in the tube... i ALWAYS do this...trying to get more goop on the wand and therefore my lashes. I had not thought about getting hypoalgergenic mascara or cleaning the lash curler (NEVER have).

Debbi, i have the same trouble with my lashes (flat and limp) on the top left eye. And know that others on this post have suggested the same. I am not sure if due to the nerve issues, or just that they have not been pushed up (manually with mascara etc) for so many months.

I think i will go home and sanitize my manual curler and try it again... i kind of had trouble manoeuvering the lashes into the wand, but maybe i need to be more persistent.

Thanks for all the great tips ladies!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 06:54:44 pm »
Trish, I'm sure the eyelash thing is due to the paralysis. I have no such problem with my right eye and I'm not wearing mascara in it either.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

calimama

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 01:19:42 pm »
I cannot seem to get my lashes into that eye lash curler... or the other way around for that matter.

But i did get some nice new glasses which i think provide a distraction from eye issues, so all is not lost.  ;D

Trish

thecakes

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 06:41:53 am »
  We are talking so much about mascara,  I use a consealer around my eyes also.  Can that dry your eyes out also?

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 07:57:18 am »
It hasn't with mine...the only thing i don't wear is eye makeup as I am putting in too many drops all day and it would get messy....
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

JudyT

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 08:41:30 am »
I have "dry eyes" (CK treatment).....Use Restatis....My eyes seem to be allergic to eyeliner now, crusty, itchy film occurs. I had permanent eyeliner put on professionally by registered nurse under sterile conditons. Looks good however mascara is an issue but the eyeliner helps also use cream eyeshadow instead of powder due to allergic reaction from dusty application. Lipstick is new issue though. Lips seem chapped and sore all the time. Since left half are numb lipstick kind of goes astray. Use a lot of chapstick.... lipstick only when absoliutely necessary for a short time because it causes burning sensation. I have had to change my whole makeup several times now. Lancome to Channel etc. Using Mary Kay now with some success.....( you can return it if it doesn't work out.) Mascara is a bust.....none is used.....allergic to all of it. NEVER had these problems before treatment. ????? Most of the time use only moisterizer. Can't even think about permanent lip color as it is so tender around lips and slow, painful application. Oh well.....beauty is only skin deep.

Judy

epodjn

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 01:43:18 pm »
I've been reading these posts and I am amazed that some of you can actually get eye make up on. Between all the eye drops and manually closing my eye to keep it lubed up I would be a mess. Maybe after tarsorraphy? The surgeon said I would not need eye drops as often and would not need to manually close the eye as much. Sure hope he's right. I really miss wearing makeup. I'm blond with light, fine eye lashes. I look so washed out without any make up.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Kaybo

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 02:08:43 pm »
I didn't wear any eye make-up for all those years because I was putting Refresh PM in 24/7 - it almost acts as a make-up remover.  I didn't start wearing until long after I got  weight.  HOWEVER, now I don't have a weight in again and I use some Refresh PM after my shower of a morning and still am able to wear eyeliner (top & bottom) and mascara on the top(IF I get it on that day!) - I just am kind of careful.

Good luck!
K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!