Author Topic: Almost back to normal!  (Read 3505 times)

Tamara

Almost back to normal!
« on: October 27, 2008, 07:32:45 am »
Hi all,
  I had my translab on June 12.  Here it is, about 4 1/2 months later, and I thought I'd post a progress report.  I had facial palsy after surgery, with troublesome dry eye issues.  As of the past two weeks, the eye problems seem to have resolved.  I don't need a bottle of eye drops in my pocket at all times, and have stopped the nighttime gel.  I put away all the eye products that were on my nightstand  ;D  I've only used a drop or so in the past week, and only due to some windy days.
  Got most of my smile back, including teeth.  It's still a smaller smile, but not bad.  Can also sneer if I want ::)  Still have some issues eating sandwiches, but drinking is OK most of the time.  Dry mouth seems to have gotten worse, but that's nothing compared to the eye.
  All in all, can't complain!  I just wanted newbies to see a post with good news!

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

maggiemay

Re: Almost back to normal!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:36:43 am »
Congratulations! It sounds like you're doing great.

Thanks for sharing your good news. We all need to read the success stories.

Cheers!

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:27:41 am »
Tammy, great to hear about your improvements...thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear from someone like you on the eye improvement. I'm about 2 1/2 months from surgery and I carry a bottle of eye drops with me everywhere I go. I put in eye drops on average every 30 minutes. Just curious, was your eye problems due to the eye not closing or blinking enough or was it from lack of tear production...or both?

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 09:57:08 am »
Tammy:

Congratulations!
  I'm so pleased to learn of your healing progress and I appreciate your thinking of 'newbies' that can be encouraged by your post.  Thank you!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:48:50 am »
Tammy~
That is all SSSSSSSOOOOOOO great!!  Just a thought...you might want to try doing the Refresh PM (or whatever you use) at night & then you might not need anything in the day.  My mom doesn't have the eye problems like us, but has some dry eye and she does this at night only to help.  Just a suggestion...take it for what it is worth!!   ;D
Thanks for updating us - we LOVE to celebate with you!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:12:09 am »
Hi Tammy,
Thanks for sharing--you sound like you are doing really well.  It's a good reminder for some of us that are still waiting for issues to resolve that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Keep it up!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 12:31:11 pm »
Hey Tammy!

Thanks for the post - while I'm not so much a newbie anymore, the timing of your "positive" update is perfect for me and several others heading in to surgery in the next week or so.

More importantly, I'm so glad you are doing so well and continuing to make progress!

Cindy...j
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Tamara

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 02:10:06 pm »
I'm about 2 1/2 months from surgery and I carry a bottle of eye drops with me everywhere I go. I put in eye drops on average every 30 minutes. Just curious, was your eye problems due to the eye not closing or blinking enough or was it from lack of tear production...or both?

Patrick - yes, I was the same 2 months ago.  I had about 4 bottles at any one time, since I was always misplacing them.  At first my eye did not close properly.  I got a Blinkeze eyeweight that I used daily for about 2 weeks and then at night for a week after that.  My blink had returned but I still had no tear productions.  A few weeks ago I noticed I was using less eyedrops.  I used the PM eye gel until 3 nights ago when I realized that my eye didn't hurt when I woke up anymore.  So I think the eye is finally back.  It is SUCH a gradual process that you don't really notice at the time - only realized when I thought back on it.

Best wishes to you Patrick and thanks to everyone else for your posts! :-*
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 05:42:16 pm »
Tammy -
Wow -- great news.  At 4 1/2 months and with all the issues you had you sound  llike you're doing great!  You've come a long way in a relatively short time (I know it must not have seemed short to you) and it sounds like you're really, finally on the road to a full recovery!! Contgratulations!  ;D

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 06:44:34 pm »
Tammy -

thanks for the update.  It sounds like you've come a long way since your surgery.  It also sounds like you are doing really, really well  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 07:03:58 pm »
Hooray!!!! Congrats!!!!  ;D
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Tamara

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 05:47:09 am »
Cheri,
  I was taken off the steroids rather abruptly about a week post op because I'd developed a CSF leak through the incision ("almost unheard-of", according to my dr).  I love being rare. ::)
  My palsy, including eye issues, developed the night of my surgery.  The eye issues came on immediately, and didn't come and go.  Yours sound much milder than mine, so I'm hoping your journey is a little easier.

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 08:42:49 am »
Tammy-

SO glad to hear that you've retired your eye-care products!!!  That is such wonderful news and I am envious!  Thanks so much for sharing the good news - I know that all the folks here who are awaiting surgery will appreciate hearing yet another good outcome.

I'd wink at you if I could!   :D

Debbi, still traveling with drops and gel...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com