Author Topic: RE FOLLOW UP SCAN  (Read 2984 times)

jazzfunkanne

RE FOLLOW UP SCAN
« on: October 08, 2008, 06:16:04 am »
Hi all, i wrote a thread two weeks ago re my mri results , i now have the consultants letter in front of me, he worte there certainly isnt anything to suggest she has any growth, the main abnormality is post-operative dural enhancement (does any one know what that means)? many thanks
ps he wants to keep a close eye on me to ensure that there have not been any change in the post operative apperance. Scan due in Aug 09
Also must add the radiologist thought she seen scar tissue and fat on the scan , but i didnt get fat to close the wound, so he thinks it is muscle they are seeing.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:32:43 am by jazzfunkanne »
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: RE FOLLOW UP SCAN
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 07:16:09 am »
Anne -

I'm not a medical person, I'm an accountant, but as I recall from my own first post op MRI (11 months after my surgery), the noted abnormality of "post-operative dural enhancement" pretty much means that what is evident on your MRI are the "remainders" from your surgery - basically the scar tissue.  I think this terminology is also pointing out that you had surgery, which is something radiologists do to alert other docs that might viewing your MRI that what they are seeing is a normal result of your surgery.

I had a fat graft for my surgery, but the place I had my MRI done uses machines that suppress fat so none of it showed on my post op MRI.  All my "hardware" - titanium mesh, screws, titanium plate, and my BAHA abutment (yes, even more titanium) didn't show up on my MRI either.  Truth be told, I was a little disappointed by that - I thought it would have been cool to see what's inside my head besides my brain  :D

If anyone else reading this IS a medical person, and I've gotten this response partially or completely wrong, please correct me.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tumbleweed

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:01:36 pm »
"Dural enhancement" means that the dura mater -- the outermost membrane covering the brain -- is lighting up (showing white) in your MRI. I haven't got a clue what would cause that, however. But I doubt it has any direct bearing on your AN. Radiologists report (or don't report, depending on their whims) all kinds of unrelated stuff they see in MRIs they review. My first MRI report noted a possible retention cyst in one of my sinuses. The second MRI (taken at the same facility as the first) made no mention of this. Ummm, I guess that means I was spontaneously healed.  ;D

Bottom line: I seriously doubt this is a cause for concern, but I'd ask your doctor for an explanation.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 05:03:10 am »
Hi Jan and tumbleweed, thanks for your replys, my own gp said its a piece of muscle they have used to close me up that has fallen into that space and nothing to worry about, i have emailed my consultant regarding it i will let you know what he saysx

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:45:05 pm »
Anne -

didn't know they use muscle - I'm a fat head, myself  ;)

Sounds like things are okay; but let us know for sure.

Thanks,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:59:34 am »
Hi Jan, i was surprised too that they didnt use fat to close me up, he said they just used the spare muscel they were working with, do you know why they would do that and not use fat or metal plates etc, maybe i have a small head LOL. empty head more like

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 06:03:29 am »
Anne -

I'm guessing this is one of those things that falls under "doctor preference" or quite possibly "doctor training". 

There seem to be some things those of us who've had surgery don't have in common - when it's okay to fly, when it's okay to shampoo, what our head is patched with, etc.  It's the same with those of us who've had BAHA surgery - seems some docs let you attach your processor sooner than others, some have you wear a "BAHA hat" post op, etc.

Jan

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:55:11 am »
Hi Jan and tumbleweed, i got a reply from my consultant today he said, The dura is the covering on the brain and this sometimes enhances after the surgeon has been touching it.  It isn’t any cause for concern and should not prevent you having your BAHA.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 09:40:11 pm »
Great news, Anne  ;D

Who knew that your dura could become enhanced just from a surgeon touching it  :o  ;)  :D

So are you going to seriously look into a BAHA?

Jan

Tumbleweed

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 12:19:12 am »
Hi, Anne:

That's great news that this is nothing to worry about. Thanks for letting us all know. It's one more valuable piece of knowledge for everyone on this board.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08