Author Topic: Newbie-pre-diagnosis symptoms  (Read 8372 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: Newbie-pre-diagnosis symptoms
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 06:42:20 am »
Jackie,

I've been diagnosed and treated for multiple arachnoid cysts that were not seen on MRI, but seen when the neurosurgeon was performing his part of the operation.  I was not told about these by him I had to read about this in his report.  To say the least I was not happy that this wasn't brought up, but my neurotologist talked with me about them. 

I hope this information helps you and I do hope you come to a decision on how best to treat them as it seems surgery is the choice, but they can come back.  Please keep me informed on what your surgeon is telling you as I would like to hear his point of view.  Glad you don't have the vestibular schwannoma diagnosis, but this one is easier to deal with. 

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/arachnoid_cysts/arachnoid_cysts.htm

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/arachnoid_cysts/arachnoid_cysts.htm

1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

JackieLouBlue

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 03:37:10 pm »
Hi, Thanks for all the replies.  For all who have had arachnoid cysts, did any of you have surgeries for them?  If so, what were the outcomes?  What types of treatments, etc.?
Are they serious?

Thanks,
Jackie
JackieLouBlue

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 06:30:39 am »
The neurosurgeon did "remove" (and I use this word lightly) the multiple lesions seen before they could move further into the operation to remove my vestibular schwannoma.  As you will come to understand through research/education on these "little buggars" they tend to come back and as my neurotologist told me there is a chance they can form elsewhere.  Shame I have to learn about these "guys" from Dr. A., but......

Let me know what is told to you by your doctor.  Neurosurgeon's are more up on these guys than Neurotologists. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

JackieLouBlue

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 06:48:27 am »
Thanks Arushi!  I appreciate your responses.  I guess my next question is this:  Do you think your surgeon would have left the cysts alone had it not been for
your other tumor(s)???  I've done so much reading about these AC's and most say they need to come out but a lot say "leave them alone". :o ::)
JackieLouBlue