Author Topic: Insurance Codes  (Read 5169 times)

Tamara

Insurance Codes
« on: April 02, 2008, 01:31:36 pm »
General Information:

ICD-9 codes are used for diagnoses. 
   Neuroma, acoustic (nerve) = 225.1
   Deafness, nerve, unilateral = 389.13
   Deafness, neural, unlateral = 389.21

CPT codes are used for procedures.
   Implant, temporal = 69714  (BAHA)

There are scores of codes for deafness.  If anyone wants me to check codes of any sort for any reason, just ask.

Tamara

7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Insurance Codes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 01:36:51 pm »
Tamara,

this is great! thanks for sharing.

I can't find my notes, but CPT code for "sterotactic radiotherapy/radiosurgery"... many need this for checking into AN radio-treatments (ie: Cyberknife, Gammaknife, etc).

Thanks again,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 03:31:34 pm »
Knowing the proper insurance codes is very helpful to patients.  However, this should really be the responsibility of the doctor's or hospital's billing office.  My surgeon, anesthesiologist and the hospital all directly submitted the bills associated with my surgery to the insurance company and they were all paid in a timely manner.  I assume these folks used the proper coding, which should be a function of their position (insurance billing). 

I realize this isn't always the case.  In the past, my wife has had to fight with Blue Cross (and her physician's office help) because the insurance company rejected a claim based on an erroneous code being used.  It was always straightened out but the hassle was annoying.  Having someone such as Tamara who knows the proper codes for billing is a real asset that we can all appreciate.

Thanks, Tamara.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sheryl

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:20:35 pm »
As Jim says - erroneous codes can cause a huge hassle - one incorrect digit can take months to straighten out.  Medical office billing is a specialty and professionals in the field have to keep up with ever-changing rules and regulations.  Anyone can look up CPT and ICD-9 codes but, if the incorrect one is chosen, the doctor can lose income and the patient can end up being billed for a larger amount or having their entire claim rejected.  I feel bad for the people (and not just the elderly) who do not know how their insurance works and what is covered - they just take it for granted that the bill they received is correct and will pay it. 
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 06:05:03 pm »
Hi all, there were continued discussions here delving into hearing devices (ie: Transear and BAHA). The posts regarding insurance coverage and these devices have been moved to their own thread to ensure the discussion flow, but not to take away from this original post.  Please look in the Insurance Forum, under BAHA/Transear and Insurance coverage.  Thanks! Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"