Author Topic: What works best for nerve pain?  (Read 2961 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
What works best for nerve pain?
« on: October 12, 2008, 12:27:50 pm »
Hi folks,
So, while I wait for my trigeminal nerve to stop having a hissy fit, I am trying to deal with nerve pain.  I'm now on Neurontin and it makes me feel ill and it hasn't made a difference yet though it's only been 5 days.  I will stick with it so it has a chance to kick in.  Anyone take anything else?  And if so, how/what are the side effects?
Thanks a million,
Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Lainie181818

Re: What works best for nerve pain?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 02:36:30 pm »
Hi Marci,
You might want to try a heat pad. I use one of those bean bags, I heat it in the microwave for about a minute and put it on my face. I find that it loosens all the muscles and makes me feel relaxed.
Lainie.

MAlegant

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 02:40:19 pm »
Hi Lainie,
Yes, that does help, although the pain is now in my tongue (!) and gums.  Too hard to get a heating pad in there!  :D  I have been drinking herbal tea at night and the warm liquid does help.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Sam Rush

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 01:19:04 pm »
Ask your Dr about Lyrica.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

MAlegant

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 05:02:57 pm »
Thanks Sam, will ask him as soon as he calls me back.  Donnalynn, what is MSM??
Best,
Marci

lori67

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 05:50:10 pm »
A shot of tequila or two might do the trick.  Sounds better than the flavored cod liver oil.  Sorry, Donnalynn, I am gagging!  Bleeechhh!   :P

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »
Those were my thoughts exactly.  I might have a problem with Tequila during the day, although maybe more of our students would graduate?   :D

satman

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:04:28 am »
tequilla worked for me a couple of shots kills all the pain.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 03:10:09 pm »
make it gin! :D

Ok, was recently diagnosed has having 3 different kinds of pain. Working with a new pain mgt doc (lordy help me, he's also from London like my bloke... oy).  Have been on neurontin and was ok for a while... has issues trying to ramp up the dosage... I have an issue with sensitivities to meds.  Granted, I hate taking any meds.  Dr, last week, put me on Lyrica (As Dr. Sam noted). I'm now off neurontin (as of last week) and currently in process of ramping up Lyrica for my pain.  Been having some side affects but still too soon as I know it takes a while for my body to adjust to the meds.  I also have pain meds (ie: Tramadol, etc) to help when I really need something extra (again, hate taking them... I have a high pain threshold but my pain levels have reached as high as 8-9 on scale).

So, can't tell you if the Lyrica is working as it's far too soon. Neurontin (also check with Captn Deb -- do a "search" here for her posts about Neurontin) did help somewhat for me, but only for a bit....

But, the gin should work well also! :)

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"