Author Topic: BAHA/Transear and Insurance coverage  (Read 23452 times)

cherry

BAHA/Transear and Insurance coverage
« on: September 25, 2008, 05:05:09 pm »
Hi Tamara,

Do you happen to know the codes for getting insurance to pay for a transear due to balance problems?  I had an AN removed 12-12-06 and left with SSD.  I can't afford $4500 for a transear which is what they are asking in my area.  My audiologist said she would help me if she knew what codes to use.

Tamara

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 05:47:01 am »
Cherry -
  I will check but it may take a few days.  My understanding from this forum is that the transear is not covered.  But I will look.  I just got the BAHA installed yesterday, and that one IS covered by most insurances.  Any reason you don't want to go that route??

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 05:50:34 am »
Tamara -

I think the reason the BAHA is covered is because it's technically an "implant", while the Transear is a hearing aid.  The majority of insurance plans don't cover hearing aids.

Strangely enough I've sometimes heard other forumites say that their insurance covered their BAHA surgery, but denied the processor since it's a hearing aid.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because what's the implant without the processor  ???  But insurance companies sometimes aren't logical.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cherry

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 06:18:00 pm »
Tamara,

Thanks for checking for me.  I would not be a good candidate for the BAHA because of location of my scar and titanium mesh also used.  Anyway not really wanting to undergo another surgery either. 
Cherry :)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 04:06:07 pm »
Cherry and Tammy-

I am also curious about this transear.  I seem to recall reading here somewhere that some people have had it covered (maybe Boppie).  I am on the hunt right now for an audiologist who wants to "learn" on me and have also been in touch with Rick at TransEar.  There is a new transear in Beta that sounds terrific.  As for BAHA, as great as it sounds, I just can't even think about another surgery of any kind on my head.  Even though it would be really, really cool to have a nob to hang things on...   ;D

Debbi, huh?
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 04:11:44 pm »
Debbi,

What's the new Transear in Beta? What are the upgrades? I can give you the audiologist who did my Transear. You need a custom mold and he got it right the first time. You will have to PM me because I can't list his phone number here.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:30:47 pm »
I would not be a good candidate for the BAHA because of location of my scar and titanium mesh also used.  Anyway not really wanting to undergo another surgery either. 
Cherry :)

Cherry -

did a doctor who performs BAHA surgery tell you this?  I'm just curious since I've never heard of this.  I have titanium mesh and a scar from my retrosigmoid surgery, but neither was a factor in my BAHA surgery.  My doc (neurotologist) has performed lots and lots of BAHA surgeries, and I can't believe that all his patients had retrosigmoid surgery like me.

I also just wanted to assure you and Debbi that the BAHA surgery is absolutely nothing like AN surgery.  It's not nearly as long or nearly as invasive, plus the recovery time is very quick.  Although no one likes to have surgery, I'd hate to see that used as the deciding factor. 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 01:49:26 pm »
For those interested in the latest and greatest TransEar, here's an excerpt from an email from Rick:

Not yet announced, but incredibly exciting ;D is our new model TransEar380 HF. It is a substantial improvement even over the current TransEar, and this is likely to be the model you will get once you are evaluated. Beta users report huge increases in word recognition, gain, and understanding speech in general, and I think you will really like it. It is a true industry first, a real break-through in technology!

Eve, I'll PM you - I am hoping to get this done close to home, but willing travel if necessary!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cherry

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 05:25:05 pm »
Jan,

It was a doctor that does BAHA surgeries that told me he would not advise me to get one.  He said it was the location of my scar not just the fact that I have one.  Anyway I have teeth issues that are bothering me now too.  Since my AN I have had two root canals on the AN side and still am having problems.  I have a small mouth and very large teeth with even larger roots.  I wonder if they are putting pressure on the facial nerve in any way?  Anyone else have any theories about this?

Cherry

Tamara

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 09:15:02 am »
For anyone still waiting, I have been unable to locate Transear insurance codes.  I'm betting that Rick can help with that - Debbie, are you in touch with him??

Truly, the BAHA surgery was a piece of cake.  I was in surgery at 7:30, released by 11:30 and enjoying a lunch with my husband by 12:30.  Was driving my kids around by the afternoon.  How easy is that??  Also, I'm LOVING the BAHA so far.  It's so fun to play with the abutment and HEAR it in my good ear.  Okay, maybe I need to get a life... ;D

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 10:25:07 am »
Tammy -

you don't need to get a life  :D

I was enarmored with my BAHA - still am - and as you say the surgery was a piece of cake.

I'm thankful every day I went through with this decision.

Jan

cherry

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 05:54:30 pm »
A few curious questions about BAHA. How about washing your hair, using creme rinse, hair spray, does your hair every get tangled around it?  How about blowing your hair dry?

Cherry

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 07:18:58 pm »
Cherry -

Obviously you wouldn't want to do any of these things with the processor (tiny hearing aid) attached to your head - you'd fry the battery and ruin it.

However, shampooing - and using cream rinse - with a BAHA implant is no big deal   Hair spray and other hair products, gel, etc., aren't an issue either.  I think I was told that you just have to clean off the abutment with a baby wipe or something similar before you attach the processor.  Or you could put the cap on the abutment, to keep it clean, until you're done styling your hair.  You get one that matches the color of the processor.

I don't use hair products, nor do I blow dry my hair, but I'm sure someone else who does can tell you about that.

My hair hasn't ever gotten tangled around my abutment, but someone (I think it was Sam Rush) cautioned me about letting curly hair get wrapped around it.  I guess that's not a wise idea.

Jan

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 09:13:21 pm »
Hi, Cherry,

I have my hair colored and highlighted (started back about a month after my implant surgery), and have had absolutely no problems with my BAHA abutment as a result. I also use a blow dryer and generally try to keep it on low when I'm near the abutment; I also keep the dryer moving fairly quickly over that area as well. I've certainly had it on high heat in the abutment area from time to time, but have had no problem. My BAHA is the Intenso model (a bit larger and more powerful than the Divino), but once it's in place I usually forget it's there. I've gotten into the routine of always feeling my head with my hand just before I get in the shower to guarantee that I've taken it off! I'm pleased at how absolutely normal it feels to have it on. As an aside to other BAHA wearers who may read this: I've also gotten into the routine of replacing my battery once a week ... even though it's probably good for about two weeks of power. Guess this isn't being very "green."

Best wishes as you make your decision -- I am really happy with mine.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 11:33:03 pm »
Catherine -

being "green" aside, I also find that replacing my battery once a week helps the sound.  Great point!

And I have to echo what you say about the BAHA feeling normal when you have it on.  I, too, have to reach up during the day - and especially before showering - just to assure myself it's either on or off my head, whichever the case might be.  It's been a pleasant surprise to find I'm not really aware of it when it's on my head.

Thanks for the info on blow drying.  I'm thinking of growing my hair a little longer and with the cold weather coming, it's good to know I can dry my hair if I choose to without an issue.

Jan