Author Topic: Hello Fellow ANers! Canadian AN Translab Re-Scheduled to December 8, 2008  (Read 16287 times)

sgerrard

Re: Hello Fellow ANers! Canadian AN Translab Re-Scheduled to December 8, 2008
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 07:22:20 pm »
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the update. So you have another month or so; it will be almost winter by that time. It sounds like you are coping pretty well; the Habitat build sounds like a great weekend activity. I hope it stays steady for you all the way through.

Best wishes,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 09:39:01 am »
Hi Ken,

Sorry your surgery has been delayed, but how great that you are participating with Habitat for Humanity!  And, now there's a really good chance YOU might get the Magic Scarf as, so far, there are no other December surgeries on the Calendar! 

Stay in touch!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 09:45:38 am »
But the question is... would Ken put the Magic Scarf under or over his baseball hat?   ;D

Glad things are going well.  Happy building!  What a great thing to be involved in.

And I know you'll have a great time over coffee with Donnalynn.  I'm sure she'll be a huge help with any questions you have.  She's one smart lady!

Keep us posted!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 04:20:07 pm »
Hi, Ken:

Good to see you post again.  You certainly are a busy guy - and that is always a positive sign.  I'm sorry your surgery had to be postponed but you seem to be taking it in stride, as it were.  Say hi to Donnalynn for us and tell her Jim said to have a cup of coffee on me.  ;)  Take care of yourself. 

I took the liberty of adding your new surgery date to the AN Treatment calendar.  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d08/12/2008?authenticate=&display=M&style=B

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2008, 08:28:08 pm »
Happy Friday!

I continue to be amazed with the number of people on this board who are so giving of their time and energy in support of individuals like me!  I am very appreciative of your kind words, encouragement, and support. 

Thanks Jim for updating the calendar for me.  Very kind.

Cindy & Lori - What is a majic scarf?  And how soon can I get it!?!?  After all, it is already cold here in Edmonton.  Highs not much above freezing forcast for the next couple of days, with 50mph winds.  Perfect weather for HFH home building with my daughter.  That scarf would indeed be beneficial!

Steve!  It is winter here for all but a few weeks of the year.  Or at least that is how if feels to me way too often.  Some earlier comments about igloos are not far off the mark.  The positive benefits of such cold weather are fewer insect pests, no poisonous snakes, no scorpions, no tropical diseases, and hardly any chance at a sunburn. And hockey! 

With my surgery bumped to December, everyone can focus their positive engery on November 3rd on Jan instead.  That will be her day in court.  And for Lori's daughter too.  Her birthday is on the 3rd!

Donnalynn - Waiting for that call!  If things don't work out for the days I mentioned in the email, there will be other opportunities.

Cheers!!

Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

cindyj

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2008, 08:17:00 am »
Hey Ken!

Are there no snakes at all up there, or just no "poisonous" snakes?  If there are NONE, I may have to consider moving there.  Snakes, of any kind, are my biggest fear - I regularly have nightmares about them...

Anyway, the "Magic Scarf" was initiated by Debbi (right, ya'll).  She bought the scarf at the time of her surgery and then passed it on to the next person that was having surgery for good luck.  It has been traveling ever since.  A journal was added to it somewhere along the way.  It is currently in California apparently awaiting my arrival for my surgery on Nov 7 - Cheri (cwood) used the magic and then passed it on to Mathilda who had surgery in LA right after her.  I will be sending it on to someone else (not sure who yet), and then perhaps it will find its way to you prior to your date!  Sure you would look marvelous in the leopard print!

If you see Donnalynn, you must give her a big hug from me.

Take care and stay warm,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2008, 05:18:07 pm »
Well, Ken, you had me all set to pack up and move up there when you mentioned the lack of bugs and snakes - but now that I hear talk of blizzards in October - I think I'll stay put for a little while.  I've done my share of shoveling snow for a lifetime!   :D

Maybe we should have Steve knit magic scarves for our friends to the North.  They'd be much warmer than the leopard print one.  Although I do look forward to seeing Ken in the leopard print scarf wrapped around his head to keep his ears warm!  And at least when you meet Donnalynn for coffee, she'd definitely be able to pick you out of a crowd!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

tenai98

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2008, 06:20:00 am »
Well Donnalynn, when I was out your way in April, my daughter in law and I couldnt do a dang thing cuz of a blizzard while back home in Eastern Ontario they were enjoy BBQ weather.  And I couldnt beleive how it doesnt get dark til late, very late at night in the summertime out there.  Ex hubby and I went out to visit the kids and grandkids in June..much nicer weather then...I'll be back your way in May/June someitme and hoping to meet you and Ken...

JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2008, 07:36:34 pm »
Hello Everyone!!

Heading into surgery in the morning (Dec 8) at 7:20am.  The magic scarf is enroute, but its powers will protect me anyway because they are so powerful.  I have faith in the pile leopard!

My wife will be updating the board every once in a while, and encourage her to be super patient, dote on me hand and foot, and indulge my every whim.  Hey, that is what she does all the time anyway!!  Kidding.

Hope to be back on the board before too long. 

Take care of each other.

Cheers!

Ken 

Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

cindyj

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2008, 09:04:18 am »
Hey Ken,

Wishing you the best for today and hoping your recovery is as quick and easy as possible - I know the Magic Scarf will be doing the its thing for you! 

Take care and we'll be watching for the updates,

Cindy
feeling great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2008, 09:17:14 am »
Today's the day and prayers and good ju-ju are coming at you fast and frequent from New Jersey.  Can't wait to hear from your wife and hope you are out of surgery soon!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2008, 10:28:02 am »
Godspeed Ken.

See you soon as a postie!

Can't wait to hear from your lovely wife.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2008, 12:37:49 pm »
Ken:

Best of luck and I'm praying for a good outcome with a complication-free surgery.

Ken's wife: Here's a hug for you because you got the hardest job. You have to be awake through the whole thing while he snoozes away....((((((((((((((((((Ken's wife))))))))))))))))))))))).

Will be watching for updates.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.