Author Topic: scar pain/incision pain at 4+months post-op  (Read 15878 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
scar pain/incision pain at 4+months post-op
« on: December 06, 2008, 01:11:27 pm »
Hi everyone,
Just because I would hate to be boring or get bored, I have new pain around my incision and I'm wondering if the weather could be a factor.  It's cold and snowy (so very humid).  I'm hoping that's what is causing this.....
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cin605

Re: scar pain/incision pain at 4+months post-op
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 05:53:49 pm »
I will be six months out the 26 & i have swelling & pain around the incision.After the numbness went away ....well....some days it comes back ...this is what i have.my head still feels extremly heavy.i am off balance,now i got these new head tremors going.....
just makes me say hmmmm.
I go back to Dartmouth on Wed. for MRI. app./ w neaurosurgeon & app. w/ ENT.
Although i have a strong feeling i am going to get the old "Well you have to remember you had Major surgery 6 months ago
these things can take  as much time as they please.....i really have never seen this before i go to say" Come back for another MRI
in 3 months all this should be gone by then.... :-\
On the bright side i started vestub.rehab a month ago & she put my crystles back in place..so no more positional vertigo.....today anyway....
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Denisex2boys

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 08:01:11 pm »
M ..... I hope Arushi replies to this - - or you can search old message - for cross-friction massage - - I am almost 7 weeks post-op and whilst most of the back of my head is still numb - I do have incision pain - - due to normal collagen build-up and such - - I have only gone for two massage sessions in the incision site itself and already feel that it is less tight and sore ..... you should look into this - - it really feels good - also helping with the headaches :)

And ..... ya know I feel your pain ........... and annoyances - - I am SOOOOOOOOOO' glad that people are noticing the markable improvement in my face and such - - I just wish the 'inside' of my head/mouth felt as good - - I cannot say my s's and feel I am talking through marbles half the time - - there is a lot of stuff 'still' not right with me either .... 
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 11:36:13 pm »
Cin....I had surgery on the same date as you did!!!  6/26.
I just saw the surgeon last week.  My last appt. before that was 3 months ago.  I asked him about incision pain and numbness.
He said both are normal.  I don't know how long we have to put up with this.......but it is annoying.  I was just glad to hear him say "it's normal to have that".
M.....I hope that makes you feel alittle better, also?
I know we are all different....and I had translab......but just thought I would tell you this, since it's something I'm dealing with also.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

MAlegant

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 08:22:03 am »
So relieved to hear that it's normal.  But sorry anyone else is experiencing pain.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cin605

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 12:35:55 pm »
Captain Deb would say "ARGH!...Tight Ship" ;)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 02:18:36 pm »
I agree with the group that say it is normal, Marci!

i know it is awful when you have an wound to remind of itself every now and then but it is normal in the cold weather there - it is still not snowing here now, but I hope for a snowy Christmas!
keeps the incision place warm, this is the advice the doctors always give me!

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 03:10:29 pm »
Marci:

My incision never really gave me pain but it did take over a year for the incision site to regain feeling and not feel 'tight'.  My neurosurgeon also said that these sensitivities were a part of the healing process.  I underwent my surgery in early June (2006) so by the winter I was pretty well healed, although I would imagine that really cold weather might exacerbate any sensitivity around the incision area because the actual incision was so deep to begin with.   So, yeah, I would guess that what you're feeling at the incision area is normal and probably due to the cold weather.  Should it become a serious concern, a call to your doctor might verify this.  Oh, and you're by no means boring.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 04:19:20 pm »
Marci,

I had surgery Sept 2006 and a scar neuroma removed July of this year.  My scar has always been sensitive to touch.  It still is since the entire scar was opened and sewn back up.  Can you feel any little pea like lumps under the scar?  Does your scar ever get reddish and feels swollen?  Have your husband really check it out for you.  I gentle wash the scar every night and I still apply polysporin.  I find a gentle massage helps.  My girlfriend who is my hairdresser gently massages my head and scar area every time I get my hair done.  It is a real treat.  I can't wait for Thursday.

Take care my SS,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MAlegant

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 05:30:49 pm »
Thanks all. Jim, no, boring is not my usual state, that's for sure.  Anne Marie, the pain seems to be coming from the inside, so it isn't sore to the touch, just painful when it wants to be.  By the way, massage therapy is changing my life right now.  Aside from my head, my body feels good and I seem to be coping better.
Marci

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 06:19:22 pm »
Sorry I'm late in responding, but if you are receiving massages then you are on the right path to re-training your tissue to remember to be relaxed.  Try the cross-fiber frictioning trick I explained in earlier post as I still do this on any muscle that feels as though there's a tight rubber band or split pea under the tissue and follow-up with stretches and AR (active resisteive) stretching of the neck.  Let me know how this helps out. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear