Author Topic: Hello Fellow ANers! Canadian AN Translab Re-Scheduled to December 8, 2008  (Read 16289 times)

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
Hello AN Community!

This is my first post to the ANA board.  My wife has been on this site a lot more than I have been. and had registered a while back.  She discovered there is a lot of great information on this discussion board, so I wanted to join up for two reasons.  First is to thank participants for sharing their experiences, and insights, on the various acoustic neuroma topics (especially to Jan for posting BAHA photos - not sure now whether to be hopeful or freaked out!  :D).  For me, the circle of light is expanding.  Second, is to pick away at that circumfrence of darkness for others.  Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute a couple of valuable insights myself as I go through the AN experience. 

In hindsight, I've had number of symptoms for about three years.  Ringing in the ears was the first one.  Some strange "physical" sensations in my head, and a reduced sense of balance in certain situations were next.  Then came facial numbness and some degraded hearing in my right ear.  The reduced ability to stay on an even keel and the hearing has become a bit worse since testing started earlier this year.  Being a typical guy, I had ignored symptoms until the facial numbness, which didn't go away and became annoying.  Gums, tongue, and eyelids affected too - like being on long term novicane. 

Finally had an MRI in June.  It revealed the large tumor (about 4 - 4.5 cm depending on where measured) on the right side of my head and some significant deviation of the brain stem.  Once that diagnosis was made, it was off to the surgeons to get things rolling.  Due to the nature of the health care business here in Canada, and the fact that I have no symptoms that are critical, no surgury is scheduled until November 3rd. 

One anecdote from talking to my ENT.  He asked me to do some simple balance tests with my eyes closed.  Man, I really noticed my balances issues then.  It was like I was drunk!   it felt so wierd I wanted to fall over from laughing.  I cannot believe I didn't notice that before.

I've read through a number of threads over the past months.  I've been dismayed at some of the negative experiences some have had, and bouyed by the positive experiences of others.  Simple things like a list of items to consider taking to the hospital are invaluable (a postive attitude is number one on my list).  One thing that will be a certain outcome of the translab process is single sided deafness (SSD).  So more complicated topics, like dealing with hearing loss, have been interesting.  Discussion threads about BAHA and Transear show the answers to coping with SSD are not always easy.  Looking forward to more discussion on SSD.

Surgury seems both very close and far off at the same time.  When the time comes, I know I have the support of friends and family to help me pull through and get back to normal activity as soon as possible.  I can also count of this community for support and direction.  Of course, my number one support is the one I've relied on for decades - my wife Michelle (I know Love you'll be looking at this post first thing, so I just want to publicly thank you for letting me know about this site, for for being there for me).

Cheers!

Ken

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:03:00 pm by 1cANAdian »
Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Hello Fellow ANers! Canadaian AN Translab Scheduled for Nov 3rd, 2008
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 09:37:31 pm »
Hi, Ken & welcome  :)

You can definitely count on us for support and direction.  I'm so glad your wife found this site for you.

As you probably know, we have several other forumites from Canada, so you're in excellent company  ;D

I'm glad you liked my BAHA pictures - and please, be hopeful, not freaked out.  I've found that the BAHA is an amazing thing - worth every penny it cost my insurance company.

Like you, I had no idea I had balance issues prior to my surgery, and again like you, the simple tests my neurotologist had me do were a huge revelation  ::)

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers - especially on November 3rd.  It will be an easy day for me to remember since I'm in court that day.

Hopefully we'll both have very positive outcomes  ;D  Come to think of it, maybe you should say a prayer for me  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 10:04:57 pm »
Hello Ken~
WELCOME!  In my opinion you have it right in saying that the 1st thing on your list to take to the hospital is a positive attitude.  I believe that and a strong faith are the way to go!!  I know that you will do well.  Keep us posted!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 10:33:51 pm »
Hi Ken (and wife Michelle),

Welcome to the forum. sounds like you have a diagnosis and a treatment all lined up, so you go from newbie to pre-postie in a single day! I will let you have the first try at putting your surgery date on the ANA calendar - the link is in my signature. If you have trouble, someone will help or do it for you. I hope you find the forum useful - feel free to ask anything at all, no question is too small or minor.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 06:11:08 am »
Hi Ken (and Michelle) and welcome! Good to see you participating here! Sounds like you have been doing all of your research, gathering valuable info and ready to rawk n' roll! Looking forward to your further participation here on the forums and sending wishes of wellness. Got Nov 3 noted and will be cheering you on!

Again, welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 11:41:59 am »
Hi Ken,

I too am a fellow Canadian.  I live in Southern Ont.  Wishing you the best in your surgery.  It is less than a month away.  A week today is our Thanksgiving, enjoy and be thank full.  We Canadians have many things to be thank full for.  I agree sometimes it seems like things move slowly here, but we are a much smaller population than our neighbours.  There is the "Brain Drain" of our young Doctors and nurses which our federal leaders debated about the other night, while Sarah and Joe were doing their scripted dance for their nation.  I hope you watched our debate.  I also hope you do not forget to vote next Tuesday.

Where are you having your surgery and who are the surgeons?  It seems too me your wife is a really gem.  She's a keeper for sure.  Thank her for finding "us" and thank you for posting.  I wish you calmness and peace of mind going into your surgery.  I was so calm it was scary because I'm a hyper person.  I just knew there was  something wrong with me.  My facial neuroma was diagnosed weeks after my surgery.  I guess you could say it's because of our Canadian system.  I got the run around because of the rareness of what I have and in the area where I live there wasn't anyone really qualified for me to see.  Joining this forum a fellow Canadian welcomed me and directed me to an amazing Doctor in Toronto.  He is very qualified and always has time for me.   

If you are like the rest of us here, you will have many questions and concerns.  Ask away.  We are all  here for you!

Welcome again,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

calimama

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 11:59:56 am »
Hi Ken (and Michelle),

Along with our many American (and internatinal) friends, you will find a few other Canadians here. Welcome to the best part of having an AN!

I was diagnosed in January this year and it has been a long and bumpy road (ups and downs). I am glad that you found this site and that you are getting some extra info and insight that will help to make this whole experience better (keep up that positive attitude). I am also glad that you have a loving and supportive wife -  i don't know how i would have gotten to 4 onths post op without having a great guy to take care of my baby while i was in the hospital; tape my eye at night; tell me i am beautiful just the way i am, etc etc.

A November surgery is not so far off, and it will give you some time to get yourself ready.

Take care and keep us posted.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 12:01:14 pm »
Hi Ken and Michelle and welcome!  Seems like all of the Canadian folks should get together for a big AN party!  At Donnalynn's igloo!!

Ken, it sounds like you've got that positive attitude thing under control and it will be the most important thing you can bring to the hospital with you.  Well, you should bring your wife too..  ;D  I know that you will be able to contribute a lot of valuable things that you pick up along this journey, and I also know you'll gain a lot from others who have been in your shoes.

Good things happen on November 3rd (my daughter's birthday), so we will have a combination birthday/get well cake in your honor!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Mickey

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 06:22:01 pm »
Hi 1 cANADIAN! Wecome aboard! It`s great to see a such a positive attitude. From all I can gather here it`s one of the main ingredients to a successful solution. I also always like to include prayer which to me is very important. You have mine, best wsihes, Mickey

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
Re: Hello Fellow ANers! Canadian AN Translab Scheduled for Nov 3rd, 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 06:43:02 pm »
Hello Everyone!

Thank you so much to each of you for your kind words and encouragement. 

I cannot believe I spelled Canadian wrong in the subject!  If there is a way to correct that, I'm sure you experts will know.  A Canadian AN Igloo party sounds great.  Especially if Donnalynn is hosting (aka cleaning up).   ;D  Thanks for the PM you sent.  I'll be in touch soon.

The AN calendar has been updated (thanks for the link Steve) with scheduled date (hope it doesn't change). 

For those who are curious about the people/place details:  the surgery will take place in Edmonton, at the University of Alberta.  Dr. Broad is the main surgeon.  This guy has done hundreds previously so from that perspective I'm feeling comfortable.

I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date, and to ask a few questions on some of the existing threads.

Cheers!

Ken
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 08:05:03 pm »
Hi Ken and Welcome!

I'm not Canadian - oh so far from it down here in Georgia, but, looks like you and I will be recovering from translab together - I will be a few days behind you, so will be watching for good news from up there!  Glad your wife found us and you have now joined us! 

Take care and I'll be watching!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 03:11:25 pm »
Hello Ken and welcome to the site and the forum.  :)

I'm late to the greeting party so can't add anything profound or witty except that I'm pleased you decided to join us.  My wife was my advocate all through my AN experience; from initial testing to doctor consultations to surgery and recovery.  She stayed in the hospital for three days, sleeping in the nurse's lounge (with my doctor's permission and encouragement) during and after my AN surgery.  I can never thank her enough, so I can understand your gratefulness for your wife's help in finding this site/forums.

Your symptoms sound pretty typical.  I had a similar-sized tumor (4.5 cm) that was pressing on my brainstem.  Although my symptoms were apparent but not severe, the neurosurgeon I selected (we have that luxury in the U.S.) was alarmed enough to schedule surgery for about 5 days later.  A complication pushed that back to about 10 days later.  Fortunately, it all went well, as I trust your surgery will, too.  I look forward to seeing your posts and possibly responding to any questions you may have that I can answer.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Denisex2boys

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 02:42:45 pm »
Another fellow Canucky here -- my surgery is scheduled for Oct. 16th - YIKS!  I reside in beautiful Southern Ontario .......

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE on the 14th .... and Happy Turkey Day on the 13th!  :)
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 03:34:14 pm »
Hi Ken-

I'm late in welcoming you - but welcome anyway!  I'm 5 months post-translab and here to tell you that it's not that bad.  Sounds like you've got an experienced surgeon and that is really key.  I'm NOT from Canada, but having grown up in Alaska, I've spent lots of time in Canada if that counts.

Hopefully you will have some time to rest and relax before the 3rd - and, of course, you'll be doing lots of resting after that!   ;D  Meanwhile, come visit us here often, okay?

Debbi, sending you good thoughts from New Jersey
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 08:14:32 pm »
Thanks again to posters for their well wishes and encouragement.  Lots of Canucks hanging out here! 

And Debbie, who comes from the Soccer Mom state of Alaska (just one slick historic purchase away from being part of Canada).  If you have your own thread in the forum, please let me know.  I'd like to read it to get a sense of how things went for you.

I know things will vary a great deal from person to person, but I'm curious to hear what each of you thought was the one thing, aside from loved ones and being positive, you did (or didn't do) that helped you get through the first week after surgery.

Another topic I'm curious about is coping with hearing loss.  Some have opted for BAHA (Jan), some for Transear (Jeanlea), while others are managing well without.  What were the motivators driving your decisions?  I love music.  In stero.  The soundscape some artists put together is amazing.  I'll miss it.  For those of you with BAHA or Transear, do they help or hinder listening to music (live vs home audio systems)? 

Cheers!
4+ cm AN removed