Author Topic: Is it possible that the hearing can come back?  (Read 12888 times)

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
Is it possible that the hearing can come back?
« on: October 05, 2008, 04:40:58 pm »
Hello everybody,

I have a question, my hearing nerve was not severed during my operation and my hearing was very good before the surgery. I still have the hope that my hearing could come back. Has anyone recovered their hearing? I asked to my audiologist and the answer was "Nobody knows". I ordered my transear already and I will get it next Wednesday, October the 8th !!!.  I can't wait to have it, my husband is a bit worried, he thinks if it doesn't fill my expectations I could be sad, well, let's see; already I have been sad since I lost my hearing after the surgery.

Gloria
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

Arasha

Re: Is it possible that the hearing can come back?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 06:56:01 pm »
Hi Donnalynn;

Thanks for your words at encouragement. Nothing is impossible in this life and I am happy to have read what you wrote. I wish you a good recovering.

For sure I will post my experience with the TransEar.

Take care,
Gloria
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 10:11:18 pm »
Gloria -

hearing returning after surgery pretty much depends on the type of AN surgery you had. 

It's not impossible for those who had mid fossa or retrosigmoid to regain their hearing, and I believe I read somewhere on this forum recently, that it's even possible with translab.

I see that you had your AN removed endoscopically.  I don't know the odds of hearing returning with this type of surgery, but I'm sure the doctor who performed your surgery could tell you.

As for the TransEar, those on the forum who use them are very happy with the results, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Let us know how you like it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Leftie

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:37:12 am »
I also lost my hearing due to swelling from the surgery and not a severed nerve 5 years ago.  Last year I got a TransEar and it does improve my everyday life.  I still feel mostly non-hearing in the right ear BUT I can sense people talking to me on the deaf side and then I just have to turn my head slightly rather than all the way.  When I drive, I now can hear the person in the passenger's seat, as long as the radio is low. My husband has noticed that when he calls to me from another room, now I hear him.  These are really BIG changes.  Eating out and just going into noisy placed is more comfortable.  Please ask me any other questions or concerns you may have.  I dropped my TransEar and broke it after just a couple of months and when a did not have it for a few weeks I really noticed the difference. :)
2.5cm acoustic neuroma removed using middle fossa approach June 2002 by Dr. Brackmann at the House Clinic in LA.
Facial paralysis resolved to facial weakness.
Also have a benign meningioma (calcified) - no treatment required, just follow-up scans.
Received Transear Feb. 25, 2008.

Arasha

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 02:56:23 pm »
Hi Jan,

Thank you for your reply. I called today to my doctor (who made the surgery) but could not reach him, the nurse called him by phone and he asked me to fax  the last exam about my hearing, then he will check my history, hopefully I will have a reply on thursday.

Thanks for your time,
Gloria

Arasha

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:08:34 pm »
Hello Leftie,

Thanks for your comments. I can't wait to have my TransEar and I hope it will work on me, but I still will keep waiting for my hearing, let's see what the doctor say :-/.  I am concerning about this because the last weeks I was feeling something strange in my AN ear, for example a strong and quick buzzzzz and sometimes I feel that my hearing it is not too worse like I have read in the forum. I will wait for more weeks and will get another exam to know if I am really recovering my hearing or not.

Hug,
Gloria

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 07:05:52 pm »
Gloria -

I'd be interested in hearing what your doctor has to say about this (no pun intended).

Please let us know what he says.

Thanks,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 08:03:28 pm »
Hi Gloria,

I had a mid fossa 6 weeks ago. I had a hearing test at my 4 week exam. They told me that once the fluid in my ear goes away I will hear as good as i did before. It seems to SLOWLY be going away, as I seem to be hearing ever so slightly more out of my AN ear.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 09:06:35 pm »
Gloria,

Before my retrosig surgery in June, my hearing was around 60-80%, with the 60 being voice recognition. During surgery my hearing nerve was preserved, though I did experience additional hearing loss. I haven't had a hearing test since my surgery so I don't know how the numbers compare. However, I do know that my hearing has improved since the surgery. I know it will never be 100% again, but I think it's close to what it was before surgery.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 09:11:14 pm »
I do know that my hearing has improved since the surgery. I know it will never be 100% again, but I think it's close to what it was before surgery.

Syl -

I can't remember if you've mentioned this before, but I just wanted to say it's wonderful news  ;D

I had retrosigmoid and ended up SSD, so I'm happy to see that's not the case for everyone who chooses this approach.

Jan

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 11:15:24 pm »
Syl,

It is nice to be reminded that you got some hearing back after surgery. And how are you doing, by the way? Is work fun yet?  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Arasha

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 10:25:23 am »
Sure, I will let you know. I faxed today the exams before and after the surgery, also I got a new MRI and it shows that the tumor was resected completelly  :). I sent to him  this result as well.
Gloria

Arasha

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 10:28:17 am »
Cathy, glad to know that!!!!, thanks,
Gloria

Arasha

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 10:34:42 am »
Syl;

Reading your quote makes me feel stronger. If I just could hear a little bit I would be very very happy. Thanks a lot for your comments.

Gloria

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 09:03:52 pm »
Jan: I don't think I had mentioned getting back some hearing. It's part of my signature, but I know that doesn't get read each time. Though I'm still challenged with some dizzines much of the time and take otc Tylenol with my breakfast, lunch and dinner on a daily basis for the headaches, I can't stop counting my blessings.

Steve: I went back to work part-time for 1 week, then right back to full-time the following week. It's definitely been a challenge. Very exhausting, but having the routine helps life feel progressively more normal. 

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.