Author Topic: SILLY QUESTION RE SMELL  (Read 6391 times)

jazzfunkanne

SILLY QUESTION RE SMELL
« on: September 24, 2008, 01:50:39 pm »
Is it just me or can anyone else not smell out the AN side of there nose, what causes this? and does it return, same when i have a cold my nose doesent run on this side.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: SILLY QUESTION RE SMELL
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 02:02:02 pm »
Ditto!

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 01:59:50 am »
are you the same maybe this happens with larger AN?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 07:50:52 am »
I think it has more to do with how much the facial nerve was involved... and how much trauma is sustained in order to remove the tumor.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

GRACE1

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 08:34:25 am »
My husband has been telling me that my sense of smell is messed up.  I had never attributed it to the AN.  What an interesting explanation.

Thanks,
Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 10:17:21 am »
The cranial nerve responsible for smell is actually #1. For us AN’ers it is the facial nerve #7 that is involved with this problem. Because I can smell with my other (non AN side) nostril and it still runs when I chop onions etc- I know that my Cranial nerve #1 is functioning fine.

This is a kids' version that explains the cranial nerves- my then 3rd grader used this for her science project display. Amazing the info kids have access to- that we did not...
http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/cranial.html

Remember that the sense of taste (part of the facial nerve, #7, function) is tied in with smell.

The reason my one nostril does not smell, or run, is that I still have some paralysis in those facial muscles around the nose: “Compressor naris� (COM) and the “Dilator naris� (DIN) are not at full function thus that part of the nose remains partly closed (collapsed)… and I believe also affects the nasal/ sinus passage.

Here is a picture of the facial muscle that specifically involves the nose
http://www.nurseminerva.co.uk/images/nasal.gif

Here is a diagram I use, daily, of the facial muscles, when I do my neuromuscular facial retraining (NMFR) exercises -from the Bell’s palsy website.
http://www.bellspalsy.ws/muscleimage.htm

I have actually regained some muscle function in the nose- since I started my NMFR :)

My AN side eye also does not tear when I chop onions  :'( etc. I have read, twice now, that years later that other ANA posties have had the eye start to water and the nose start to run – years later  :) . These are neurological things that take time to heal. Everyone heals at their own pace.

The day my AN side nostril runs (and I know it is not CSF leaking  :-\- as I had last year) I am going to throw a big ole onion chopping party – and you are ALL invited! ;) :D

Keep moving forward

DHM

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:32:21 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »

konnie

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 10:31:06 am »
my husband says my sense of smell is messed up. I can smell everything and it seems like it is much stronger then before my surgery.
I'm not sure if my senses are over compensating for my lack of hearing or tast. My sense of smell has gotten way out of control
to were i can not tolerate sertin smells . its almost like sensery over load...(I have all the other things dry eye and left side of nostril
doesn't run.)   it could be worse. it could be both sides ... no tears at all.
Konnie
AN 4.0cm @ time MRI (7-28-08)
Surgery 8-6-08 @Hinsdale,IL by
 Dr.Wiet/Dr. Kazan
Symtoms: sinus infection,numbness on leftside of face, hearing loss left ear & morning headaches

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 11:36:36 am »
Yes, the right side of my nose isn't a team player right now.  I have a combination of facial weakness and numbness due to the trigeminal nerve involvement.  On the diagram of cranial nerves, you can see that the side of the nose is affected by one of the three branches of the 5th cranial nerve. I am waiting for this to resolve in time but for now, I can only smell with the left side of my nose.  Can't taste very much on the affected side as well, but the other side seems to be compensating, so I'm sure over compensating is possible.
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 08:58:21 am »
I also have the same problem.  I can't smell on the AN side.  I learned this shortly after I returned to teaching.  One of my students, who could see that half my face didn't work, asked if I could smell on that side.  I'd never ever noticed it, but I checked it out when I got home.  Nope, no smell on that side.  I have no feeling either.  But now three years later my nose will run when I am running.  I think my eye tears too, but I'm not sure if it's tears or sweat falling into the eye.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

robinstwo

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 05:10:20 am »
Another annoying thing is my glasses constantly squish my nose shut.  The good side of my nose can't hold up the weight of my coke bottle glasses!  I thought about wearing a Breathe Right strip but, I don't want to wear it out all day. I constantly having to push my nose up to reopen it. 

DHM, Thanks for the web sites!  Most helpful.
2.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/15/08
Translab Surgery 8/7/08, Emory Univ Hosp, Atlanta, GA, Dr Olson & Dr Maddox
Face and tounge not working right now.  Speech issues too.

OTO

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 09:06:25 pm »
It could be due to facial nerve weakness, and that keeps the sinus on the side collapsed.   I'm 16 mos post-op, and I still have that problem.   Some days the sinus on the side just feels clogged.   If it really bothers me, I wear the breathe right strips when I eat at home....

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 08:47:31 am »
I did an experiment. I did a smell test last night while I had on my "breath right" nasal strip

(this is the gismo)
http://www.breatheright.com/

Guess what- I could smell out of the nostril with it on.    ;D It lifts open the nasal passage.

So yes it is the collasped nasal passage as you mentioned.

Perhaps you-all might want to try the nasal strip experiment too.

DHM

Zanybrainy

• Surgery 01/24/05 4.0cm, Colorado Springs, CO Retro
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 10:28:22 am »
Great Question!!!  I have not had much sense of smell sense before surgery.  When I asked my surgeon he didn't think I should have a problem.  Of course I worried something else was wrong. I never thought to try each side of my nose but I definitely will.  My facial paralysis is now a grade I and my nostril is not compressed but I still have nerve damage.  Here I have been blaming my husband (told him my nose shut down in self defense), I guess I may have to apologize.  Have a great day! Cath
Retrosigmoid, January 24, 2005
4 cm "stuck" to brainstem
Memorial Hospital, Colorado Springs

lori67

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 10:42:02 am »
Cath -

Your secret is safe with us!  Go ahead and blame it on your husband!   ;)

I, for one, am thankful that I can only smell with half of my nose.  My husband always told me I had a nose like a bloodhound and I was always bothered by things that no one else could smell.  Every time anyone on the street used their fireplace, I'd always think our house was on fire!  It was crazy.  Now, I think I might be normal.  Well, in that respect, anyway.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.