Author Topic: Concentration Issues  (Read 14287 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Concentration Issues
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 01:47:30 pm »
Great read, Donnalynn, thank you.  My vestibular function has been fine (they didn't cut the nerve, just moved it) and besides, I've always had bad balance.  I wonder if even the event of the surgery is enough to cause some damage.  I'm looking for a good reason why my concentration isn't what it should be.  Or perhaps I'm grasping at straws....
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Cheryl R

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 03:26:36 pm »
Has anyone seen Oprah today or watching it now?      A brain scientist lady who had a stroke is on and super good.     She wrote a book but don't know title yet.                        Just saw a quote.  I am not stupid,  I am wounded.                     My sister told me to watch this as she hers is on at a different time.                    Might be some details on oprahs website.
                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cheryl R

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 04:08:24 pm »
The book is My Stroke of Insight by Dr Jill Bolte-Taylor               Some of it does sound would be of interest to our health problem even if a bit different in most respects.        Some of emotional views do appear to be something we would understand.
                                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 04:52:59 pm »
Donnalynn:

I just read the article you linked that explains how our balance system operates.  I concur with Marci and Cheri that it is very well written and explains, in understandable language, what happens when we lose a major portion of our vestibular system and why we often have problems adjusting, as well as why we develop deficits in other areas, such as our cognitive functions.  Thank you for posting the link.  Nice job.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 12:25:12 am »
Thanks for posting that Donnalynn.

It's very frustrating. This is the 1st time I've seen that explanation of problems with memory and cognition. I had always had Doctor's tell me it was associated with the drugs for headaches (neurontin and topomax). I'm a design engineer. I was always very good at what I did prior to surgery...now it takes me 3 times as long to do what I used to be able to do in my sleep.

I always have a low grade headache that sometimes increases to mind numbing but I have tried to avoid drugs for the most part because I don't want it to effect me negatively. Neurontin made me slow...I couldn't think straight...was always forgetting what I was talking about mid-sentence. I am on a very low dose of topomax (75mg) to help keep the headache where I can ignore it. It's frustrating now to find that my cognition problem now may not be drug related at all but actually be tied to my constant fight for balance.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org