Author Topic: Over Sensitive Hearing? The volume up TOO loud? Fans drive you crazy?!?  (Read 13079 times)

chocolatetruffle

Re: Over Sensitive Hearing? The volume up TOO loud? Fans drive you crazy?!?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 02:20:18 pm »
thanks SO MUCH for posting this!!!  after my surgery, every noise and sound is ultra loud and i had to plug my good ear when it gets too noisy. i had a fashionable choice of purple, orange or yellow plugs  ;D  but at the end of the day, i got to protect my only good ear. but that also means i can't carry a decent conversation  :-\  *sigh* the life of an SSD
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 09:00:27 pm »
I just ordered the "flesh tone" ear plug- but these have not arrived in the mail yet.

These are available here
http://www.hyperacusis.net/hyperacusis/helpful+products/default.asp

In the meantime “florescent orangeâ€? fashion statement it is for me…  ::)

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 01:34:21 pm »
dhm - i read on this site that putting ear plugs is discouraged as it will increase your sound sensitivity. however if the sound is more than 80 decibels, you should put ear plugs - and 80 decibels include sounds like vacuuming, hair dryer, coffee grinding, electric mixer, ie all normal home activities!  so should i wear ear plugs all the time and end up with sensitive ears or should i wear plugs if i can't stand the noise and could end up damaging my good ear?   ???  just a thought on this rainy day. 
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 08:30:16 pm »
Excellent question... mmm let me read up some more ...

I know that the days I do not wear my earplug my face gets very tight...

I see a neurologist tomorrow, for a consultation, and I am going to pose this very question.

I will get back to you.
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 08:55:15 pm »
Konnie -

have you considered a BAHA?  It's definitely not for everyone, but it's a wonderful option for those of us who are SSD. 

Your head should be healed enough from your AN surgery to try the demo.  You might want to ask Dr. Wiet about it.

Just a suggestion,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

konnie

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 08:19:19 am »
jan good suggestion..
I don't know. I guess I'm not sold just yet, or maybe I'm still to vain..
I'm sure their will come a day when i say the heck with it and go for it but i hadn't reached that just yet....
 Again who knows Maybe I will change my mind after i go back to work Nov 10th. we will have to see how i do being SSD...
I know when i saw Dr Wiet in Sept he said to wait for a year..
konnie

AN 4.0cm @ time MRI (7-28-08)
Surgery 8-6-08 @Hinsdale,IL by
 Dr.Wiet/Dr. Kazan
Symtoms: sinus infection,numbness on leftside of face, hearing loss left ear & morning headaches

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 08:24:15 pm »
I get this too...    :o  when I lay down to bed at night... either postioned on my back or on my AN tumor side. It often too happens to me only at night, when I am tired, and in response to a banged door or something loud and sudden.

So far now one with "neuro" at the beginning of their title has given me an explanation.  :-\

I wonder what on earth it is- this loud ping- and what the cause is... ???

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 08:48:07 pm »
Konnie -

Dr. Wiet said to wait one year!  :o  Wonder why that is  ???

Maybe he's thinking by then you'll either be adjusted to the SSD and not interested in a BAHA, or you'll be really fed up with being SSD and will definitely decide to get one.

I'm no doctor, and though I've met Dr. Wiet, he's not my doc and I'm obviously not going to second guess him.

I am curious though as to why he said to wait so long.  Dr. Battista let me try the demo as soon as my head was "healed" - so I tried the demo 4 months post op and had the implant 5 months after that.  Guess it's just something they differ on.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways