Author Topic: Over Sensitive Hearing? The volume up TOO loud? Fans drive you crazy?!?  (Read 13138 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

I cannot not stand the sound of fans- since my AN surgery… and consequently spend half my life walking around with a fashion statement of a florescent orange ear plug in my good ear. Air conditioning and or heating systems are the worst – for me anyway.

I have learned something new this month and a new “neurological word� for sensory overload- particularly auditory.

“Hyperacusis�

A link for those of us on auditory overload :o
What is Hyperacusis?
http://www.hyperacusis.net/hyperacusis/what+is+hyperacusis/default.asp

Anyway Sue from Vancouver USA- suggested I share this here ...for you-all.  ;D

Keep moving forward!

DHM
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 08:18:52 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Lorenzo

Re: Over Sensitive Hearing? The volume up to loud? Fans drive you crazy?!?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 10:41:56 pm »
Ah yes, familiar with the term and the effects. Fortunately for me, the sensitivity has settled to somewhere near normal.
Ciao  :)

Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Over Sensitive Hearing? The volume up to loud? Fans drive you crazy?!?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:45:01 am »
I am sooooooooooo glad I am not alone in this one!  Loud noises drive me nuts and everyone thinks they have to yell and turn the TV up.  Ceiling fans have never been my friend, a/c I can deal with, (you have to in Texas)
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Over Sensitive Hearing? The volume up TOO loud? Fans drive you crazy?!?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 06:23:39 pm »
I can't stand the volume up on the TV, and I can't tolerate the ceiling fan on high. I have a terrible time in large spaces, especially when there are lots of different conversations. I do fine in a regular church service, but could hardly stand picking the kids up after Bible School. Same place, different noise levels.

My word recognition falls from 85% at 50dB (normal conversational level) to 64% at 75dB. The audiologist told me this is typical of hearing loss due to nerve damage. An amplifying hearing aid would do me no good. Fortunately I am functional in day-to-day activities.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:03:31 pm »
I think what bugs me is I can't figure out what the noise is and where it is coming from, thus increasing my sensitivity.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 02:32:33 am »
For awhile, I also heard distortion in my affected ear when listening to music, but thankfully this has resolved itself and doesn't happen anymore. Avoiding very loud sounds and eating a balanced diet seem to have helped, but I can't be sure if that's just coincidence.

Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 03:05:20 pm »
I noticed some slight intensity of loud sounds as my hearing degenerated.  I assumed this was due to the fact that all sound now had to enter only one ear and that would, naturally. increase sound intensity.  Being SSD, I try to protect my functioning ear when sounds become too loud. 

That noted, I can't claim to suffer from hyperacusis.  Loud sounds don't cause me pain, just some momentary discomfort, at most.  However, I can understand why having this condition could be deleterious to one's equanimity.  I'm fortunate - and grateful - that it isn't a real problem for me.  In fact, most of the time, I don't hear well enough.  That is a separate issue, I know but I wanted to mention it in order to put this hyperacusis issue in some sort of context.  However, I do sympathize with those who have to deal with it. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 04:23:54 pm »
This bothered me a great deal but has steadily improved since surgery.  In the first couple of weeks, when my dogs barked I cried.  Kind of Pavlovian if you think about it.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

thornapple

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 05:09:52 pm »
I have a picture of myself arm in arm with a famous politician with a big old day-glo orange earplug sticking out of my ear.

I have since learned they come in beige, but I was thinking of putting sparklies on it and suspending a few bead dangles and turning it into a fashion statement. What the heck!

;D

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 10:31:20 pm »
LOL  :D  ;D  :D :D

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 01:07:02 pm »
Yep, I've got that hypersensitivity to noise in my hearing ear, too.  (I also have a bright pink - in support of breast cancer research - ear plug - festive!)  I asked my neurotologist about it (the sensitivity, not the ear plug) last week when I saw him and he said it was fairly common and should go away in time. He called it "recruitment" by the way...

I am constantly asking my husband to turn the volume DOWN on the TV, which we both find pretty funny since I am totally deaf in one ear!  And, when our dog barks, it is like a spear going into my ear!  Ah, isn't life grand????   ;)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 09:51:29 am »
deleterious to one's equanimity.  

Jim

;) ;D :D

I do love Jim Scott’s contributions as he does expanded my vocabulary- tenfold... since I joined the ANA forum.  ;) ;D

“phuminoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanocâ€? is sooh Scotty  :-* ;) :D

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Synonym_for_loves_big_words

Ok Ok admit it people who else had to pull up Encarta (or some other dictionary  sources) to define Jim’s writing?

Don’t change Scotty- we love you as you are - our illuminative moderator.  :-*

DHM  ;D

mema

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 12:00:29 pm »
Thanks so much for the attachment on hyperacusis.  When my husband and I read it he said, " it sounds just like you".  Even the ear pain that I experience hit home.  Earplugs made the pressure in my ear worse, so I wear ear muffs, when riding my bike or going to my grandkids indoor sports.    Big brown ear muffs.   And I live in Florida.   Don't I make  a fashion statement!

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Tisha

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 08:47:29 am »
Oh, thank you so much.  I've noticed that in the past 2 weeks this is what I have, and actually came to this board to see if everyone experiences this that has an AN.  Do you know anyone who has tried this?  I was going to ask about a hearing aid that might help, but maybe this is what I should try first?

It's bad enough knowing I have this tumor in my head...but to have the pain of sound.  I was sitting in the FR yesterday and my son was filling his glass with ice from the ice machine.  It was SO LOUD and distinct I couldn't believe it.

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

mema

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 06:30:25 am »
Tisha,

Every night, about 10-15 min. after I get in I get the loudest PINGGGGGGGG sound in my ear.  My hubby closing a door causes it.  A sound on the TV causes it.  Him running the bathroom sink causes it.  But the weird thing is "IT HAPPENS EVERYNIGHT"  Gee!  Sounds like a good movie title.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.