Author Topic: Handwriting just not the same.. nor is memory.  (Read 27963 times)

Kaybo

Re: Handwriting just not the same.. nor is memory.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 07:03:16 am »
I read this thread yesterday, but just really didn't feel like responding - I think I am feeling better today so here goes!

I was totally paralyzed on my right size from the surgery induced stroke so I had to COMPLETELY relearn how to write.  I still write on the board with my left hand because it just took too long with my right.  I do write on paper with my right.  When I am "fresh," I think my handwriting is pretty good - and even get a few compliments on it.  Little do those people know that that is one of the BIGGEST compliments I could receive since I couldn't do it at all for a while!!  I was teaching 1st Grade when I went back so I just did handwriting WITH them instead of just showing them and monitoring them!!  In fact, if you give me "highway" lined paper (my name for it), I have practically perfect D'Nealian writing!!  (For those of you who aren't teachers, that is a style of handwriting that a lot of schools use now - easier transition to cursive.)  Of course, when I am tired, the writing looks AWFUL.  In fact, handwriting (NEATLY) was always such a big deal to me that writing Thank You's after my babies usually reduced me to tears - it one of the few things that has REALLY bothered me most about this whole AN thing - that I could not write more than 1 or 2 notes w/out my hand becoming fatigued & them being messy jumble!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jerseygirl

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 08:12:56 am »
Steve,

I read the book over the summer upon your recommendation. Great book, thank you!

I think it's a great discussion but the problem with labeling motor issues as cognitive ones is perpetuating the myth that some people (even professionals) have that if you cannot handwrite that means you cannot think straight and if you memory is impaired, you cannot  learn either. Anybody can see what we are discussing and while the "brain thingy" just among us is fine, I don't think it is fine when discussing this in everybody's full view. We can have motor issue without cognitive ones and while I, for instance, cannot handwrite very well or speak very fast, that does not mean I cannot process rapid speech and require simplified instructions, constant reminders, even detailed instructions on how to find the room I have been in a thousand time!

On a different note, I just purchased Dragon Naturally Speaking software that allows to convert spoken word into typed on screen. So, that means if I speak into the microphone, it will type. I cannot get through the paperwork in grad school any other way because my typing is impaired as well. I am so slow! I will be required to talk a lot, so it is interesting to see if my handwriting will improve also. Right now it only gets better with constant training. I literally rewrite paragraphs while timing myself every day. Such a boring thing! I will be overjoyed if Dragon will take care of both speaking and handwriting!

Eve 

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 08:18:20 am »
Eve~
I so hope that the "DRAGON" will help you & make your life easier!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jerseygirl

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 08:45:12 am »
Thanks for your well wishes, K! I will post here on my progress since a lot more ANers than I realized have handwriting/typing difficulties. I just assumed before that it is a "privilege" of giant tumors that I once had but apparently not.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

lori67

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 09:16:13 am »
Eve,

I've heard of that software before.  A friend of mine got it a few years ago because he's terrible at typing and spelling, so he thought it would help.  His e-mails would wind up sounding like some sort of secret code because, apparently, he wasn't very good at speaking clearly either!  Some of them were funny!  But I think you will be fine with it - his wife did fine.  Apparently you have to have the abilty to communicate in general before it works!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 09:35:58 am »
Great topic!  My handwriting has taken a nose dive.  My facial neuroma is on my left side and I am left handed.  It was one of the first things I noticed after I recovered from surgery.  What I find most frustrating is my memory......I can't remember a conversation I had five minutes ago.  I also lose my train of thought during a conversation.  I use to like to talk!!!  One good thing I know my husband ears aren't aching any more ;) 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 09:40:11 am »
I think it's a great discussion but the problem with labeling motor issues as cognitive ones is perpetuating the myth that some people (even professionals) have that if you cannot handwrite that means you cannot think straight and if you memory is impaired, you cannot  learn either.

I totally agree, Eve. I made the point in a topic started by Marci recently that most if not all of our brain issues stem from sensory and motor issues, not true cognitive impairment. Our minds are working just fine. The trouble is that as humans we are so dialed in on our senses and motor movements that any interruption in the flow throws us off. The stumbling over words, for instance, is mainly due to hearing and motor control issues, but it has the effect of making us feel like we can't speak properly, which makes it feel like a cognitive/emotional issue. There is much to be discovered about the links between our cognitive processes and our sensory and motor processes.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Mickey

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 10:54:20 am »
I`m W+W and have noticed I`m not as sharp as I used to be. Can I atribute this to an AN or just the normal ageing process n at 60? What I do try and do is alot of brain type of execises like chess along with as much other things with involve me mentally and physically. Good Luck Mickey

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 11:01:18 am »
I used to pride myself with my handwriting.  Not anymore.  I even forget how to spell my last name and that is a problem when you are signing a credit card receipt!

Brenda

I've seen myself do this (mis-spell my own name) ... long before I knew about then AN .. and wondered why I did that !!... and very very very .. did I say very... slowly it has improved...

typing was very bad at first too ... but I get to pratice a lot.. I live on the computer.... and even then.. it has taken a long time....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 09:17:06 pm »
I used to pride myself with my handwriting.  Not anymore.  I even forget how to spell my last name and that is a problem when you are signing a credit card receipt!

Brenda

I've seen myself do this (mis-spell my own name) ... long before I knew about then AN .. and wondered why I did that !!... and very very very .. did I say very... slowly it has improved...

typing was very bad at first too ... but I get to pratice a lot.. I live on the computer.... and even then.. it has taken a long time....

My writing sucks ... I leave gaps in words more than a few letters long ... my name for instance is Brenda... on a
check on cursive it is Bre nda ... operation may come out ope rati on ...actually looks worse type than in writing ...
 if I print I don't leave gaps ... and I also will mix print and cursive in sentences and even within a single word...I just
avoid writing as much as possible ...did go to teachers and explain to them what is going on so they wouldn't think
my kids are trying to forge my signature on stuff...

as far as memory ... that is not great either... as long as no one talks to me I can complete a task ... but lets say
I was walking to the bedroom to toss a load of clothes on the bed to fold (I do it in front of TV) and someone passed
me in the house and ask what we were having for dinner... I am just as likely to put the laundry down on first surface
I come to that is big enough to hold  it and go look in the fridge or go off to do some thing else ...

If you all could see a post I type not spell check you would think English is my second language ... I always spelled
good but now it is really bad... I never spell remember right ... it looks like this ...remeber ... (I won't correct on of the remembers ) ...it is funny that the word remember always gets misspelled cause I just can't remember stuff   :D ...gotta
laugh ...or cry ...laughing is a bit better

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 01:00:13 am »
OMG, so me !   hand writting  or anything on left side where  AN was is weaker. From writting to typing  here. ::) And my short term memory is not good.
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

jerseygirl

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 07:45:15 am »
Hi,

I will definitely post here about my experience with the software. Before I purchased it, I tried it in college and it recognized my voice with no problems. I speak slowly nowadays anyway; in fact, I do everything slowly, so it should not be a problem. The software does force you to enunciate every word which is actually a good thing since this avoids the "secret code" situation!  ;D

Eve

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 02:20:25 pm »
I thought I would chime in on this interesting thread, even though I don't have real cognitive issues.  I'm probably as verbose as ever, both in word and speech and I never have much trouble thinking about what to say (or write).  However, my handwriting - mainly, my signature - definitely deteriorated after my surgery but has gotten much better in the past two years.  My typing has also returned to about the same as it was, pre-op.   

As for what we loosely term 'cognitive' issues, I think I'm close to what is normal for me, although I occasionally forget things that my wife (a decade my junior) remembers with exquisite detail.  We've discussed this and, based on research, decided that we remember what is important to us, which seems to be the scientific conclusion, too.  I remember my cars of the past with meticulous precision, down to the gear-shift knobs in some cases.  My wife recalls the color, size and fabric of the drapes we hung in an apartment we lived in 30 years ago.  Neither one of us can remember things that aren't meaningful to us.  My wife recalls a humorous incident from 1975 that I completely forgot.  I can still recall things from the same period in our lives that she has seemingly erased from her memory.  Go figure.  Still, I don't attribute much of this memory 'loss' to my desiccated-and dying AN. 

I feel that I would be remiss not to add the caveat that at age 65, I may have to allow for some 'natural' degeneration in my cognitive functions.  However, I believe that is a very minor issue.  I use my noggin every day and while I may have slowed down just a bit, I've hardly begun to calcify.  Well, not yet, anyway.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 04:03:43 am »
"I've hardly begun to calcify.  Well, not yet, anyway. "
I love that, Jim!!!  I think my brain has!  I use it every day, but some days it doesn't cooperate as well as others!  You are an inspiration.

Brenda

Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

LisaP

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 05:21:31 am »
Hi Phyl,

First things first, yeah the Red Sox are in the playoffs,

Now to be serious, yes I thought it was only me, but I tire more easily, my hand writing is worse and I even drop things at times.  My mind too seems to be effected, sometimes I have trouble with word finding.  Anyone else having this problem????  I have not had any treatment yet tooooo.

:)LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W