Author Topic: 8 weeks post-op and back to work!  (Read 7323 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
8 weeks post-op and back to work!
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:04:08 pm »
Hi all,
This is my first official (full-time) week back to work. I've never been so happy to be back at work.   :D  I'm doing fine, though mentally I am not quite up to speed so I'm trying to go at my own pace whilst not getting fired. Each day I feel myself getting more in the swing of things.  Thankfully I work for good people in a great place so it's a very supportive environment. 

Neuropathy is still with me, but doesn't bother me much until later in the day, at which point I take something for the pain and just carry on.  My head still kind of feels like a hard boiled egg, but really I'm feeling pretty good.  I'm getting used to the new normal and while I have some lingering physical symptoms, I have a new outlook on life and there's no question in my mind that it's worth the trade.

Friday night happy hour is my goal right now!

Hope all our friends affected by the hurricane are getting back to their version of normal.
Marci

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:35:48 pm by MAlegant »
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

LADavid

Re: 8 weeks post-op and back to work!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:13:04 pm »
Congratulations, Marci!  Happy Hour on Friday is an excellent goal. How's the singing and the running? Off the subect, sorry about the Browns loss Sunday.  The Steelers weren't much better.

Have a good day at work tomorrow.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:24:37 pm »
Congratulations, Marci.  Being back to work is it's own kind of special therapy for those that are lucky enough to be able to do it.  It's good that you have such a supportive work place to go to.  Yes, Happy Hour on Friday is a great goal.  ...But the Packers won!

Have fun at work tomorrow.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

MAlegant

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 08:33:22 pm »
Oh man, the Browns were just killing me. I watched the whole game but was throwing things at the TV.

I am running almost every day (short 3 mile loop) and trying to increase speed, since I don't have time to increase distance all that much.  I'm also lifting a bit (after a bone density test that showed that my hips aren't as strong as the rest of my bones). I'm a baby boomer. My bones will be fine as long as I keep exercising.  I'll bet that test would have had a different result before surgery!

Yesterday, I sang without twitching too much and that was great, but, I did notice that my facial weakness is visible when I sing.  The right side of my face (which looks normal the rest of the time) just can't do the work of the left just yet.  If it stays that way I imagine I will just compensate for the weakness eventually.  I am lucky to be able to sing, so I shall enjoy it.  I'm trying to decide what song I'll post.  For Anne Marie it really should be an Italian aria and I just have to choose one.

Ciao,

Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:39:06 pm »
Yeah...
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 05:39:58 am »
Great, Marci, thanks for sharing!  You "sound" great - so positive, as so many of you that have just had surgery have sounded - ya'll are all amazing and a great influence on the _______ (almost posties, pre-treatmenters, not really newbies...).

Look forward to a song from you,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 06:19:25 am »
Congratulations Marci,  I'm very happy you are back to work, running, and singing! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

tenai98

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 06:35:15 am »
Great News Marci...I will be having my first bone density test next month. I've lost one inch in the last five yrs...I try to excerise everyday but now I am determned to do it everyday (walk 5km) and be in the best shape for when I have to choose my treatment.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 06:56:09 am »
Congratulations Marci on the back to work milestone  ;D

I remember how great it felt to return - and I remember the new outlook on life feeling; I'm thankful to say it stuck with me.

Keep up the good work!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 10:10:59 am »
Marci,

Wow you are really doing well.  I hope the neuropathy remains manageable, take it from me it can be brutal if it isn't.  And dear surgery sister an Italian Aria would be lovely :-*  I wait to hear it!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 04:05:14 pm »
Marcie:

I was delighted to learn that you've returned to work - as well as to singing.  I believe one must simply fight past the obstacles, be they fatigue, neuropathy issues or whatever.  So many of our members have been doing that and while there are occasional setbacks here and there, that kind of intrepid determination usually pays big dividends in regaining physical abilities as well as strengthening one's resolve and enhancing a positive attitude, all of which can only aid in recovery.   I'm positive that vocalizing is also a positive exercise.  My wife and I have a family friend - a talented woman - who used to perform in off-Broadway musicals (and touring companies) in the 1970's as a singer/actress.  She now teaches vocal classes as a side job (she's a full time high school teacher, today).  She finds singing very relaxing and uplifting and I'm sure you do, too.

I'm pleased to read of your progress and the success you've had in regaining normalcy.  If Friday night Happy Hour is your self-reward for getting through the workweek, you've certainly earned it - so enjoy!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 04:12:54 pm »
Hi Cheri,
In my case the neuropathy is from the surgery.  The finicky trigeminal nerve is probably trying to recover.  I'm hopeful that it will pass in time but I'm dealing with it as if it won't . That way I won't be disappointed!
Best,
Marci

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 05:33:38 pm »
Brava, Marci!  I am glad that you are doing well, and that you are back to work.  It definitely helps to get back to "normal" activities.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 07:13:25 am »
I have made it to the end of week one.  Happy hour never happened but the rather long nap I took made me just as happy.  I think it will take some time to have self-confidence again though; I found myself struggling for words, losing my train of thought, and various other scary moments.  If I do have cognitive issues, how would I go about getting tested?  I'm definitely a step slower, probably not noticeable but when you're used to being the "geeky smart girl", it's scary.  I am going to go run; it's a beautiful Saturday in Ohio; sunny, almost autumn, etc.

M

Cheryl R

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 07:48:16 am »
Hi Marci,      At the very first symposium I went to I went to one session on cognitive problems,   There was no mention of doing any testing or needing to see psychologist because of it.     It was one who gave the talk and he pretty much just said how you have to come up with new ways to cope with how ever you are not the same.                  It wasn't exactly what I was expecting to hear either.
I would say once you are over the stage of being tired easy then you should see improvement.     You are not that far past surgery and the odds are you will improve in time.             I am sure when we get nervous over it,makes it worse also.                 I have some problems also and really varies from day to day.             Describing things is my worse problem.
I think the chance now of a stroke is much less now.        It would be more likely during the actual time of surgery when they are in there working around the blood supply and ahead of time not knowing if something is present which would cause the stroke.       Once the surgery is over and they know what the area looks like, the chances are no different than if one could be caused some day from another cause.
                 Hope this helps,                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care