Author Topic: Gamma Knife and "happy pills"  (Read 6369 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Gamma Knife and "happy pills"
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 08:56:35 am »
Ask for drugs..."better living through chemistry"...is my motto.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 02:59:14 pm »
Since I was freaking out about the sedation issue, I decided to go and talk with the nurse at the gamma knife center where I will be having my GK on Oct.7th.  Talking to her was most reassuring.  She said the GK team is there to make you as comfortable as possible, and she also said there are many types of sedation options.  She told me about the amnesia one, and I really could go for that one.  She also said if you need to go to the restroom during the procedure, you can go without interrupting the treatment.  I would worry about that one though.  Once I get in the machine, I just want to stick it out and get it over with.  Since my AN is so small, I don't think I'll be in there very long.  I have been told, and now I know, that the "nurse" is the "go to" person on the team if you need some more clarification about the procedure.  At least that is the way it is at the GK center I am going to.  I am so ready to get to that "happy place" so I can get past the treatment phase.  Best wishes for all of you who are making decisions.  My finger nails are just starting to grow back now that I have the decision under my belt.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 12:52:27 am »
Yes, the Nurse is the most important person!  The doctors think they are, but really, it's the nurse.   ;)

I'm glad they could allay your fears some about being sedated and the meds you can use. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 02:12:07 pm »
Joey,

I was told that no one can go in the GK room while the process is going on.  However, the doc can go in to make some adjustments, I think.  The nurse told me once I have the head frame on, have the MRI and CAT scan I will go into a room with a bed and chairs where you can watch TV (bring your own DVD or they have some for you to watch), read or listen to music (yours or theirs).  I think you can also have something to eat.  I looked at the video on gammaknife.org.  However, the woman in the video didn't have an IV.  I think the nurse said I would have an IV.  I was sort of in a "daze when I got the tour of the GK center.  I remember seeing the room with the bed, and it was nice--relaxing with lots of windows.  I have a pre-op with the doc the week before GK.  I will ask more questions then.  I do wonder if GK centers vary from one to the other as far as routine.  Hopefully I will be in another world with sedation and not care.

Good luck with your GK on Oct. 2nd.  I'll be right behind you on the 7th.  Hope to see a positive post after your GK.  I wiil hopefully have a positive one to post as well.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs