Author Topic: More ear ringing now  (Read 2664 times)

zeek

More ear ringing now
« on: September 11, 2008, 08:17:04 pm »
Hi folks, it's Zeek again. I just wanted to say that in the last few days my ear ringing has gotten worse. What do you think the chances are that I will either get used to it? Tune it out? Or it will go away? Anyone care to put a percentage on it?  I have a pair of earplugs around my neck under my shirt at all times. I never know when I'll need them. Niosey traffic, resturants, ect. The worst is clanging high pitch noises like silverware, glasswear, paper crackeling, or even ripping a check out of my checkbook. I seem to be more sensitive today, and a little more nervous. The weather has me cooped up. I feel my best when it's quite, and I can walk outside without talking or being on the cellphone.
Thank you.

Tumbleweed

Re: More ear ringing now
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 01:27:15 am »
Zeek, a few of us fellow-ANers have noticed that certain foods and lack of sleep/rest make our tinnitus worse. Eating sugar or oily foods makes it worse for me (except for oily fish like salmon, which along with steamed leafy green vegies tends to make my tinnitus less loud). I suggest you keep a journal that records what you eat each day, and see if any particular foods make your tinnitus worse or better.

Try to cut down on stressful situations and get more rest. That should also help.

Some people have found relief by taking ginkgo biloba, a natural herb, in capsules. Niacin will also help, but be careful: taking large doses of niacin on an extended basis can damage your liver. Better (safer) to get niacin from your food: nutritional yeast is an excellent dietary source.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

lholl36233

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:06:27 am »
Screaming kids and extra loud music seem to bother my tinnitus.

I'll have to try ginko biloba.

I've also found cutting back on caffeine has lowered the volume on my tinnitus.

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

calimama

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 10:42:13 am »
does whereing an ear plug in the affected ear (SSD) reduce the tinitus???

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 09:07:31 pm »
Zeek,
I guess I've been truly blessed because most of my AN related problems are not severe.  My tinnitus is usually very quiiet and hardly noticable, but when I am stressed out it gets louder and I've noticed salty foods do too..  Take some deep calming breaths and stay away from the salt.    Hope this helps

Bet wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 01:27:44 am »
I also find that getting dehydrated -- not drinking enough water throughout the day -- can make my tinnitus louder.

Best,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Mickey

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 07:08:57 am »
Iv`e been doing neuromonics now for over six months. This has cut my tinnitus to a much more bearable level. Now I`m pretty much at the stage of mataince where I primarily use it when ringing picks up a bit. I have also just taking my hearing test and believe it or not my hearing has improved with 91% spech recognition in AN ear. I don`t know what I can attribute this to because I`ve thrown in a much healthier lifestyle with a lot of vitimins mineral herbs etc. All in all whatever the combo it has produced a much better scenerio. A few days for 3rd MRI which I`m hoping to comes in stable. Waiting and Watching , Mickey

zeek

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 08:45:35 pm »
Calimama, I can't tell that it helps to put in a plug in my dead ear, even though the doc said it might be a good idea when I'm around loud noises. For mild noises, I just stcik one in my good ear. But I'll still have ringing in my bad one.

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 08:16:02 am »
Seems like everyone ringing is different,  for the last 10 years, I have been deaf in my right ear with constant tinnitus , it was caused by a viral infection, a MRI at the time came up normal.

What ever option I choose to sort my AN out,  hope it stays the same, I got used to it,  and fortunately for me its sound like I am deep in a tropical rain forest at night, which i find very soothing,  people pay good money for those ambient sound machines at sharper image and here I have my own built in one.  Admittedly I cant turn it off,  but after ten years you can tune you mind out of it.

What ever noise you have, associate a positive image with it, crashing waves at the beach, your private helicopter in the garden waiting to take off,  and its not so bad.

2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 06:50:28 pm »
Mine gets louder with loud noises, barking dogs, etc. (and it's really going to town right now , puppy sitting!)

Overall, I noticed for a few months after my surgery it seemed louder, but it seems to be getting back to the normal high pitched sound that it has been for a few years now. I don't even notice it during the day or when I'm busy. Mostly at night when it's quiet and I'm by myself. I always turn the tv on when I go to bed (with the timer on) and that helps me, too.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.