Author Topic: meeting neurosugeon wednesday  (Read 1937 times)

scarriegirl

meeting neurosugeon wednesday
« on: September 14, 2008, 12:19:26 pm »
i have heard reference to a list of questions to ask the surgeon...can someone direct me to it??  and please add anything you think will be helpful going into this appt!! thanks guys...you are great  ;D
-carrie
"when you reach the end of the rainbow there's always another color!"
finally diagnosed 8/08
retro surgery scheduled nov. 17 at boston medical
there is a tennis ball in my ear!! at least it feels like it.

sgerrard

Re: meeting neurosugeon wednesday
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 02:13:03 pm »
Someone piping up here.  ;)

ANA web site question list:
   http://www.anausa.org/questions_for_physicians.html

Kate's question list:
   http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=53.msg72087#msg72087

Some have found taking a recorder and recording the consultation is helpful. Others find taking a companion to be a second set of ears helps. It is easy to forget to ask certain questions, and to lose track of all the things the doctor says. Take notes.

I would also suggest asking the point blank questions we are sometimes reluctant to blurt out: Will this work? Have you done this before? Will I be okay? Would you be worried if a member of your family was having this procedure?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 02:19:31 pm »
I'm such a geek.  ;D  I wrote them all down (iphone) and read them off one by one.  Also had my husband there to look over my shoulder.  At several points along the way, I stopped thinking clearly and he asked the remaining questions.  So, take your questions with you and one other person to keep you on task. Oh yeah, write down the answers.   It was hard to keep those straight by the time I got to the 3rd doctor.
Good luck,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 04:30:44 pm »
If you're a geek, Marci, I can't imagine what that makes me!  I compiled all my questions into a 5-page Word document which I then printed, in duplicate (one for me and one for Willie) to take to each appointment.  When I got home, I would carefully transcribe both Willie's and my notes into the document and then print it out again for us both to review.  Geekdom to the max!  But it worked.  There were a couple of times when I totally shut down for a few minutes so it was really important for me to have Willie there with me. 

And, one the occasion when one of the surgeons whipped out an actual human mastoid bone to demonstrate something, nearly causing my squeemish husband to faint, I was there with my own set of notes!   ;D

I would suggest to anyone that they make a list of all questions, no matter how silly or trivial they may seem, and don't leave until they are answered.  Also, bring an advocate to all appointments - having another set of ears is just invaluable.

Carrie, let us know how the appointment goes, okay?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 08:33:26 pm »
OK Debbi, you can be the queen of geek for the moment.  It won't last....
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.