Author Topic: Hurrray for the BAHA Demo  (Read 6937 times)

wendysig

Re: Hurrray for the BAHA Demo
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 06:26:34 pm »
Hi Debbi -
Wow another positive spin on what started out as something I wasn't totally happy about (I mean having to wait).  I  had gotten an information package regarding BAHA from Cochlear a while ago but misplaced it before I could watch the DVD and found it today.  Of course, I watched the DVD without delay and it was really good.  It was really just an advertisement -- testimonials from people who have BAHA and their family and friends. Most of the folks on the DVD who had BAHA had ANs but not all. It was comforting but weird to see and hear them talke briefly about their AN experiences and how BAHA changed their lives for the better.  I could totally relate to them.   It reinforced all the reasons I want BAHA.  It really is worth waiting for!

Wendy - Patiently waiting for January and my BAHA surgery
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 08:22:03 pm »
Hey Jan~
We  could do our OWN BAHA DVD and you could be the star!!!  I know that you could do a whole DVD because you love your BAHA so much!!  Sound like a plan?

K  *Lori isn't the only one who can think up ways to make $$$$*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 10:09:37 pm »
I didn't even know there was a BAHA DVD  :P  Some BAHA spokeswoman I'm turning out to be  ;)

Where do I sign up, K?

Jan   

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 10:12:30 pm »
K,
You know what -- you are right Jan would make a perfect spokesperson for BAHA!  Just about everyone here who has a BAHA loves it but Jan is definitely the most vocal.  I can just see her now...  it's another $1,000,000 idea!

Wendy

2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 10:16:50 pm »
Jan,
Upon request,Cochlear will send an information packet that includes a testimonial DVD.  I had gotten mine a while ago but never looked at the DVD until today.  It shows people who are SSD and one who was born without external ears.  The accounts they gave of their BAHA experiences reminded me of you in a way.  Two of the people on the DVD had surgery for their ANs and really struck a chord with me.  You would have been (or would be) a natural.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 10:49:13 pm »
You would have been (or would be) a natural.

So, Wendy, when are you and Kaybo going to nominate me  ???  ;D

I've been to the Cochlear website numerous times, but never requested the info packet so I didn't realize it came with a DVD.  I did read some testimonials on the site and also on a few brochures my neurotologist gave me.

The day I received my BAHA processor I also got what I refer to as a "nifty gift pack" from Cochlear with lots of BAHA goodies (carrying case, toothbrush, cap, etc. - I gave all the details in one of my prior posts) and it contained a survey-like questionnaire that you could fill out and mail to Cochlear.  It asked about your experience, etc.  I filled it out, but so far no one from Cochlear is knocking at my door   :'(  I consider it their loss, though.  :D

Seriously, I'd love to be an official spokesperson or write a testimonial about my BAHA.  Guess I'll just have to continue to give my testimonials on the forum  ;)

Pretty soon you'll be giving your own testimonials  ;D  January will be here before you know it.

Jan 
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 07:17:58 pm »
Hi Jan,
I know your are right on all counts, but it is hard to have to wait.  Since I have no other choice I will though.  I don't mean to wish my life away but I hope the rest of this year passes quickly.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 11:10:14 pm »
Wendy -

it IS hard to have to wait - and I'm about as impatient as they come  ::)

About 24 hours after my AN surgery when my neurotologist and I were able to have a fairly lucid conversation (without me nodding off or seeing two of him, that is  ;) ) I asked him about options for my newly created SSD.  He told me about the BAHA.   I wanted to discuss it in detail right then and there, but he reigned me in and told me we had time to discuss it later and that my more immediate job was to heal from the AN surgery. 

My surgery was 5/31 and I saw my doc again in mid-September to try the BAHA demo.  As you know, I was totally enarmored with it and wanted to have the implant surgery ASAP.  But the first step was finding out if my insurance company would cover it.  I was told it normally takes 4-6 weeks to get a "ruling" but in my case I was jerked around for much longer, which meant I didn't have the surgery until March.  It felt like the longest 6 months of my life - no exaggeration.

But the great news is that anything worth having is worth waiting for and the BAHA is no exception.  The surgery won't be the only waiting you'll have to do either.  I don't know your doc's protocol, but I couldn't wear my processor for 3 months and I couldn't even cheat since my doc very wisely doesn't give you the processor until then.  Guess he's wise to patients like me who'd try to ignore that 3 month waiting period  :D

January will be here before you know it.  If you need something to keep you busy, Steve most likely needs help knitting all of those hats.  The symposium is fast approaching and he's got lots of orders - including mine ;D

Jan