Author Topic: Hurrray for the BAHA Demo  (Read 6918 times)

wendysig

Hurrray for the BAHA Demo
« on: September 05, 2008, 02:50:29 pm »
Hi all,
Today during my visit with my doctor I tried the BAHA demo!   I can't express enough how amazing it was!  Although it was not quite what I expected, just feeling like I was hearing on the right side was truly amazing - I can't stop saying amazing!  He had wanted to to see the audiiologist for the demo but she left early today, so I was very surprised and very happy  when  he walked in with it.  He had me close my eyes and walked around the room,stopping every now and then, talking to me and snapping his fingers to see how I heard him from different parts of the room.  I could hear him every time he spoke or snapped his fingers!  I really  have to get one of these things as soon as I can!  Unfortunately because of my leaking incision, he says it will be at least January before he would consider doing the surgery.  He wants the leak to be completely stopped for two months before he will even schedule it.  I'm going to have to  have a very long talk with my incision!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

NL

Re: Hurrray for the BAHA Demo
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 03:06:32 pm »
Hey Wendy,

That sounds so exciting! I hope the problem with the incision is soon history!

And January will be here before you know it. :)

Nancy 
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

lori67

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 04:03:42 pm »
Great news Wendy!  It is amazing!

Now you go tell that leaky incision of yours who's boss!   >:(

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 04:24:11 pm »
Hi Nancy and Lori,
I know January is not that far off, and in a way his telling me this makes the rest of the year a little easier.  I was hoping to have the surgrey in November and was wondering how this would effect Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I guess these are non-issues now but I would have had the surgery then no matter what if I could have.  When I put it in writing, it sounds kind of selfish but I am really looking forward to getting a BAHA (can you tell?) and now that I have a good idea of what it will be like, I can hardly wait!  It will be worth waiting for  in the end though.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:54:26 pm »
It is definitely not selfish to want to be able to hear!  Now, if you wanted a diamond tiara for Christmas, that might be selfish.   :D

I had my BAHA implant done November 9 of last year.  I was out and about the next day with no problem at all.  It didn't interfere with the holidays or our usual Christmas pilgrimage to New Jersey.  And I was definitely the center of attention with the cool screw in my head!

Don't worry - it will be worth the wait.  Kind of a belated Christmas present.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:05:19 pm »
Wendy -

I'm SO glad you liked the demo! ;D  I've used the words BAHA and amazing together so many times, it's nice to see someone else reinforce my opinion  :D

As Lori said, the surgery usually doesn't hold you back from your regular routine; I attended my daughter's volleyball game a few hours post op (even though she and her brother didn't appreciate my lovely "hat").  Yes, sometimes I live to torture my children  ;) LOL

As for me, I'm hoping for that diamond tiara for Christmas since I already have a BAHA.   ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 12:06:33 am »
Hi Lori and Jan,
A diamond tiara sounds nice -- how do you think it would look with that lovelly bandage?  Do you think it would be too much?  I guess if I look at the BAHA surgery as a late Christmas present, that makes me feel better.  The best part is I'll already know what it is and am sure it will be my favorite present!   I don't mean to wish my life away but I hope January comes quickly!  This time I'm actually looking forward to having surgery --in a way that sounds kind of strange even if it is for a good reason.

Wendy

P.S.  Lori - I'm sure you were the hot topic of the holiday with that screw sticking out of your head!

2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 10:29:48 am »
Yes, Wendy, you're right - especially since my nephew bought me a little cell phone antenna to hook up to it so I could get better radio reception.  Or talk to aliens.  I'm not sure which!

I may not have any other marketable skills, but at least I can be the source of entertainment for many!   :D

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 08:48:34 pm »

I may not have any other marketable skills, but at least I can be the source of entertainment for many!   :D

Actually being the source of entertainment for many is a great marketable skill.  Need a manager?  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 07:51:01 am »
Hi Lori,
Did the cell phone antenna give you better reception or have you been talking to ET?

Jan - I've told Lori I think she would be a great stand-up comedian!  You could either be her straight man or manager -- you'd be great at both or either!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 10:40:58 am »
Well, who do you think ET comes to when he needs to phone home?   ;D

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 10:45:39 am »
Great comeback, Lori.  :D

Wendy was right.

I'll agree to act as both your straight man - er, woman - AND your manager, but I'm going to have to charge you twice as much  ;)

Jan

lori67

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 01:07:06 pm »
Ok, I'll pay you half of what I make.    Let's see... I'm not good at math... but I think half of nothing is.....mmmm....nothing.  Okay. It's settled.   ;)

Lori
p.s.  If you do a really good job, I'll throw in a hearing aid battery or two for you.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 01:11:59 pm »

p.s.  If you do a really good job, I'll throw in a hearing aid battery or two for you.

You're soooo good to me  :'(  :'(  :'(       :D

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 08:05:39 am »
Wendy-

So glad you were impressed with the demo!  I am thrilled for you - and January will be here before you can say "merry Christmas."  What a terrific way to ring in 2009!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com