Author Topic: How to get insurance to pay for transear??  (Read 5125 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: How to get insurance to pay for transear??
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 06:48:23 am »
Static,

Really doubt insurance would pay for your hearing device due to AN because they'd probably tell you something to the effect you still have some hearing in the good ear right?  So, I guess until the good ear is a gonner due to what.... another AN, virus, autoimmune disease, exploding ear from pressure in airplane (my explanation), you and probably me are up the creek.  I haven't looked into a hear aid yet, but since I'm asking my husband more and more to repeat himself I'm beginning to open these doors and take a peek. 

I just had (yesterday) another hearing test on my good ear and since the last one I only lost a teensy (my medical explanation) bit more in the high end. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 07:48:59 pm »
Karen, If you do decide you can afford the transear, the inventors office is about a 1 1/2 hour drive from me and you could have it fitted by him and buy it directly from him without the mark-up from the docs. I think the cost is around $2500- 3000. Just a thought.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Static

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 05:13:58 pm »
Hi Deb! LTNS!  How's that little Sadie of yours?  So the doc told me that I could get the baha and it would just have to be placed away from the titanium mesh.  Still don't want the rod sticking out of my head, it's just not for me.  With my luck, I'd get zapped by lightning.... then again, maybe that's not a bad idea!  Anywho, can't afford the trans ear and will have to just go on pretending to hear things and/or pissing people off because I keep asking them to repeat themselves.  God forbid anybody go out of their way for me!  But thanks for all the suggestions and comments.  I've been away from the group for awhile, trying to see if my problems would go away too, but no such luck!  Maybe I just have a bad outlook, but I don't see me every having a full recovery to my old self/life which was suggested to me by several doctors.  Now the name they have given me for it is fibromyalgia.  I think they just haven't been able to figure out anything else or are afraid to blame it on something I might sue someone over.  BTW, I'm not that kind of person, or I would be able to afford the aid 10X over!  TTFN
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right