Author Topic: BAHA in Connecticut -  (Read 3949 times)

solecleansing

BAHA in Connecticut -
« on: September 01, 2008, 12:47:14 pm »
Could anyone tell me where to find a doctor who has BAHA experience in the state of Connecticut? I've researched the web and am very frustrated because I don't know where and how to find the correct type of doctor in my area.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

regards.  Judy ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:12:51 am by solecleansing »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Need info: BAHA in Connecticut - where to go?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 02:36:28 pm »
Judy  -

my BAHA surgery was done by the same neurotologist who did my AN surgery, so you might want to check with the docs who treated your AN. 

Also, you might want to try Cochlear Americas' website @ http://www.cochlearamericas.com/  You can find clinic information there.

An audiologist in your area also might be able to help direct you to a doctor who performs the surgery.

Good luck,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:16:07 am »
Hi Judy, you might get some info. on this site http://www.baha-users-support.com/ they answer all your baha questions and there is a few american members hope this helpsx
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 07:16:11 pm »
This is a wonderful link http://www.baha-users-support.com/  but it should be noted that this group is in the UK.  They may not have info on doctors in the U.S.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 07:35:03 pm »
I'm not sure that there is one in CT .... at least not a few years ago when I was looking ... I'll be sporting mine at the NE brunch  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

solecleansing

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 06:11:01 am »
I found a new audiologist in Danbury, CT and I went for my BAHA demo yesterday.  The audiologist was very knowledgable and so willing to answer all my questions.

During the demo - it was amazing to "hear" again. I can only explain that it is not stereo but a full rich sound.  The audiologist let me take the BAHA home for a week - The headband is a little tight but that is OKay.  After we left the audiologist office we went out to dinner.  I COULD actually hear the conversations all around me.  Yahoo.  I have a doctors appointment next Friday to discuss the surgery.  Please keep your fingers crossed that I am a good candidate for the device.

Tonight I am going to see Whoopie Goldberg in concert and I'll have to find something to wear to match the red headband.  Hou lucky I am to have such a problem.

Judy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA in Connecticut -
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 05:19:30 pm »
Judy -

glad you're enjoying the BAHA demo  ;D Although I always tell others how amazing it was to hear again during my demo, it's hard to relay that enthusiasm - you kind of have to experience it yourself.

I'm praying that you'll be a BAHA candidate; I don't know how I survived 9 months of SSD without mine.

Let us know what the doctor has to say on Friday.

Thanks,

Jan

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 05:17:32 am »
glad to "hear" the demo went well !! be sure to check out the user support link .. they have some great users... plus a few stories and graphic pictures of post surgery ..  I love my BAHA !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:41:15 pm »
joef -

they have graphic surgery pics on the BAHA user support link?  Seriously?

I was awake during my surgery, but obviously couldn't see a thing  :D  I've been dying to know how the doc did my surgery.

I've been on the BAHA users website before, but didn't see any surgery pics.  Where do I find them?

Jan

(sorry for the hijack, Judy)

solecleansing

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 05:12:46 pm »
Hello.

The doctors visit went fine.  The first step is to having my first annual MRI.  Then insurance process then begins.  Hopefully in a few weeks I will have some answers.

Has anyone heard of Dr. Bloch in Danbury?

Judy

solecleansing

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 02:02:57 pm »
Update:  My baha procedure is on hold.  I am in the world of insurance craziness- the doctor will not perform the surgery without a written statement from the insurance company stating they will pay and the insurance company insists that out patient surgery doesn't require a precertification.  Round and round we go.....

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 05:26:38 pm »
Judy -

thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, this sounds typical.  My neurotologist's office wanted the copy of the letter from my insurance company before they scheduled the surgery, so I sent it to them.  The ironic part is the insurance company, as is typical of insurance companies, stated in their letter that it was "not a guarantee of payment".   Go figure  ::)

I hope you get past this little hurdle soon  :)

Jan