Author Topic: Night Driving - Can It Be Done  (Read 5376 times)

digby

Night Driving - Can It Be Done
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:18:57 pm »
Hi Everyone:  Things seem to be getting better 3 months post surgery but when walking at night I stagger all over the place so I'm afraid to try night driving.  Any suggestions?  During the day I'm dizzy but can do a lot of normal things. I took your advice and am doing the exercises in the ANA booklet.  I can do most of them with eyes open so I'm now trying with the eyes closed.  They have helped and probably should be a part of the normal recovery program or at least the doctors should make patients aware that they exist.

lori67

Re: Night Driving - Can It Be Done
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:52:48 pm »
Hi Digby and welcome!

In answer to your question - yes, it can be done!   ;)

I didn't attempt it until probably about 6 months after my surgery.  I felt comfortable driving during the day, but I was a little unsteady walking in the dark too, so I didn't want to risk driving, as since I didn't really have to, it wasn't an issue.  When I did start at night, I made sure to remove all distractions (kids, radio..) and I stayed off of the highway.  After a little practice on the quieter streets, I felt fine and even allowed the kids to get in the car!   :D  You might want to try it out in a parking lot at night (with someone with you in case you can't drive home, of course).  That should give you an idea of how it will be doing the real thing on the road.

Now I'm back to normal driving (which concerns my husband since I learned how to drive in NJ and NY -  :o), but hey, so far, so good!

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 12:15:43 am »
I would proceed very slowly and cautiously, but that said, you'll probably know when you're ready to drive at night.  One key is to not turn your head quickly, which could make you dizzy. Take baby steps, and respect the fact that driving is inherently dangerous.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:37:09 am »
I think that night driving depends on the person, the circumstances.  I for one am not allowed to drive at night by the great State of Texas.  Probably very wise, my night vision has gone way down hill since my surger three years ago.  Good luck and do what you feel comfortable with.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

satman

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 06:15:43 am »
i drive at night everyday,it's actually the sun that messes with my eye.
driving at night does not seem to be a big deal,but everybody is different.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:51:44 am »
At three months driving in the dark with lights strobing by was taxing to my balance and eyes.  In the beginning I avoided driving at night.

I highly recommend walking at night though. Night walking adds another challenge that can build strength and balance ability.  Walk on a somewhat smooth and predictible surface and look at the horizon.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:34:16 pm »
I also think Boppie's idea was a great one. I know from personal experience (as I'm sure most people on this forum do) that walking at night improved my ability to do other activities at night with better balance. I think walking at night can be considered a form of physical therapy, if you will, for training one to  prepare for night driving. An excellent idea, Boppie.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 08:06:24 am »
My night driving improved around month # 6- post op. Night balance had been weird for me but @ 1 year now I am actually ok. Your brain will need time to re-train. Neurological recovery takes longer that lets say muscle and ligament recovery. You have to work at it but with practice you will improve as you brain retrains to compensate.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Tamara

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 05:25:14 pm »
I was not given any distinction between resuming driving and resuming night driving.  I began both again at about 5 weeks post op.  I personally think that night driving is much easier than night walking.  In the post labeled "Driving??" someone mentioned that you don't have to worry about balance when you are driving.  So true.  Even though my night walking is OK (but not great), my night driving has been no trouble at all.  Give it a go with all the suggestions here!

Best Wishes,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...