Author Topic: mathilda update  (Read 7044 times)

Mathilda

Re: mathilda update
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 06:11:03 am »
Well, actually dizziness is the thing that does bother me the most but I know it is part of the deal. I just hope that it won't take forever. Right now it seems that I'm not doing much better in that respect but that probably has to do with the trip and the jetlag. So, I'm practicing patience !

Mathilda
Diagnosed in 2006. Recent growth from 7 to 11mm.
Middle fossa surgery at House Ear Clinic on October 16th 2008.
With the results I hoped for: hearing saved; no facial problems.
Just wobbly headed; in need of patience ;)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 06:28:50 am »
Make sure with the patience you practice your vestibular exercises as this will help with the vertigo and dizziness you are experiencing.

From what I understand House gives their patients specific exercises and the ANA has a brochure for just this also on this site we have shared our exercises with each other under Balance Issues.  Do a search under that heading for vestibular exercises if you do not have any of your own.

Best of everything to you Mathilda!  Look forward to hearing from you now and then or always whichever suits you! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Mathilda

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 10:25:19 am »
Thanks Arushi, I did get some exercises from House but I'll also look at the Balance Issue section.
Today I walked to the supermarket all by myself. We had a lovely sunny day and it only takes about 12 minutes to walk there since everything is so close here so I figured it would be a good exercise for me. It went very well. Had my cane with me just in case. I did need it once in a while but it was great to feel somewhat independant again. Just bought some grapes since I still cannot lift/carry more than the allowed pounds.

The problem with the vein is not an uncommon one after having IV according to my GP. It'll go away by itself; just needs time and rest and cooling the arm should help along with some pain relief medication if necessary. So more patience is needed!  I wonder: do I need to learn something here???  :D

Mathilda
Diagnosed in 2006. Recent growth from 7 to 11mm.
Middle fossa surgery at House Ear Clinic on October 16th 2008.
With the results I hoped for: hearing saved; no facial problems.
Just wobbly headed; in need of patience ;)