Author Topic: It's Retro Week 8/25 in the Mysterious AN World  (Read 2854 times)

LADavid

It's Retro Week 8/25 in the Mysterious AN World
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:39:12 am »
Hey everyone,

I'm sending this out a day early since I'll be away tomorrow.

Like the title said, it's Retro Week.

Phyl starts off the week with a "Do or Die at BI appointment with her CK team.  Phyl, what does "Do or Die" mean?  It sounds so ominous.

Then starting off the round of Retros, Shannon (Daydreamer71) has her surgery at the University of Michigan on Wednesday.  Hmmm.  Do all Daydreamers (includes Melissa) have their surgeries at the U of M?

Next up, on Thursday, Lois has her Retro followed by ColoradoGal with her Retro (not sure if it's in Phoenix or Denver -- but there does seem to be an AN epidemic that has hit the Rockies  -- Nancy Drew and Kathleen).

Best wishes to all of you for success with your surgeries.  And may you each have very quick recoveries.

Have a great week.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: It's Retro Week 8/25 in the Mysterious AN World
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 06:18:52 pm »
Good luck everyone!

Phyl - I'm sure sure if I should hope for the "do" or the "die" since I'm not positive what they refer to.  But, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and praying for a good result.

I'm a "retro veteran", so I can say with complete confidence that those of you having retro surgery this week will be fine.  Have patience and take things one day at a time.  There is life after AN surgery; I'm living proof - as are numerous others.  See you guys in "postie land".  Hope you all have uneventful surgeries and recoveries.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:31:09 pm »
David~
I was sitting here wondering how it was "Retro" week...I didn't know if everyone was wearing flourescent or dancing to Madonna??  It finally clicked for me!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 09:09:54 pm »
Good luck to all having AN treatment this week

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

LADavid

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 09:13:43 pm »
K
Retro for me goes back to the Jim's.  Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Jim Morrison.  You youngsters.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 07:28:15 am »
K
Retro for me goes back to the Jim's.  Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Jim Morrison.  You youngsters.
David

Thanks for the add'l gray hair, man! Groovy!  I needed that like my elephant bell bottoms, hot pants and orange patent-leather handbag! :)

Thanks all for the wishes..... my "do or die at BI" means this... I am now 2-1/2 yrs out of treatment... and am falling in line with the timeframe that should determine if the brain booger is official dead or not... and possible push out of my appts and MRI's from every 6 mos to yearly.... so, I'm hoping that, based on films and hearing reports and symptoms (or lack thereof), etc... my CK team at BI is hopefully going to tell me that, from an AN standpoint, that I'm a done-deal.... and that they will check on things later than sooner down the road.... it's the news I've been waiting on...... Usually with radio-treatments, (keyword being "usually") 2-3 yrs post-treatment is hopefully when we get this news... the waiting has been rough.....

...and for all those experiencing the "retro" movement this week, my wellness wishes to you all.... will be thinking of you all this week.  Stay strong!

Thanks again all!
Phyl
(I now return you to your retro movement which includes reruns of those "happenin'" tv shows, "Laugh-In" and "The Mod Squad")
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:59:52 am »
Phyl - keeping fingers crossed for you! 

Shanon, Lois, and ColoradoGal - good luck to you all.  If you don't have someone to post for you after surgery, send me a PM and I'll be happy to be your "press secretary".  You know we all worry if we don't hear about the surgical outcomes! 

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 08:24:20 am »
Wow, Phyl.  I didn't realize it took 2-3 years to get a "final death" diagnosis  :o

You are a much more patient woman than I am.  I could have never waited that long - I would have died from suspense.

Kudos to you, and once again, best wishes tomorrow (I don't ever think we can say that enough)  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 10:07:16 am »
Wow, Phyl.  I didn't realize it took 2-3 years to get a "final death" diagnosis  :o

You are a much more patient woman than I am.  I could have never waited that long - I would have died from suspense.

Kudos to you, and once again, best wishes tomorrow (I don't ever think we can say that enough)  ;)

Jan

thanks jan.. and debbi..... yep, the waiting is the rough part. In my discussions with others contemplating radio-treatments, I remind folks of the wait and their ability to have mental strength to endure the wait..... it's not an easy ride but I try to give radio-patients as much mental strength that I can push their way.  We know that the wait can be brutal and it truly does take an enormous amt of mental strength to get through it.... for me, some days I have it, some days I don't.... but, hoping tomorrow gives me that news that the waiting game is done.... I know that I'll continue to have MRI's and hearing tests, etc.... but hoping tomorrow, they say for this bit of my AN journey that I'm done.... I need some good news for a change... I'll take it.

Shanon, Lois, and ColoradoGal .... you all are going to do great this week! I'm sending the good vibes your way.... onward and upward to wellness!  :)

Thanks again all,
Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 07:49:04 pm »
Good luck to you three going through surgery this week!  We've been having some pretty good recoveries here, so we are all certainly looking and hoping for the same for you guys. 

Phyl, you know we are all very anxious to hear the good news you so deserve from your appointment tomorrow!  Many good thoughts are with you!

...would LOVE to see some Mod Squad reruns!  Loved those three...Link, Pete and Julie, was it?

Have a good week everyone else also!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 11:22:18 am »
Phyl-

Everything is crossed while I await your news...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 01:04:18 pm »
hi all,

as not to take away from the Retro gang noted in this thread, I'll post my outcome of today's appt in my thread here in AN Community.

To those being treated this week, best wishes... healthy, healthy wishes.

Phyl

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 10:25:50 pm »
Better get in some well wishes for Shannon, Lois, and ColoradoGal. Best wishes you three for a great retro surgery and a smooth recovery. Phyl has already established that this is another good news week. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 08:41:48 am »
Good luck to Shannon, ColoradoGal and Lois,
Please keep us posted or have someone post for you.  We do all get concerned if we don't hear how you are.

Sending good vibes and healing thoughts your way,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!