Author Topic: A day at teh beach  (Read 4696 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: A day at teh beach
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 01:39:10 pm »
Thanks for sharing your beach story.  We went to a beach wedding the September after my April GK.  I had a little balance issue, but once I hit that soft sand, I had a big balance issue.  It was very disconcerting.  I was hanging onto my husband for dear life. I didn't want to be on my hands and knees at a wedding on the beach!   :o  I hadn't had occasion to walk on the soft sand since that time, but we finally hit the beach last month, and I was fine.  I was very glad, as I didn't want that to hang around forever.  So, it got better for me, and I'm sure it will get better for you.   :)

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 02:14:05 pm »
Hi Sue,

From what you said about the beach getting better, you left me wondering -- are  all your balance issues are gone?  Mine are better than they were while I was in the hosljtal and slightly better than they were after I got home, but I still have way more of a balance problem than I did before surgery.  Although I walk around the house without any support, I still don't feel safe walking very far without my cane or someone to hold onto.  I still have a few sessions of physical therapy that will be covered by my  insurance, but only 7 at the most, then I'm on my own.  Either I have to pay for additional sessions myself,  or just do exercises to improve my  balance on my own.  I'm just curious, what did you do?

Thanks,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 04:13:04 pm »
Hi all,

I forgot to say that we got back from Mystic yesterday.  No one wanted to go to the beach on boat rides this time so we just walked around and saw the sights, went to the pool at the hotel  and ate a lot of seafood and ice cream.  A good time was had by all.  No new balance issues on this trip!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 12:13:52 am »
Hi Wendy,

My balance issues have been very slight, compared with some people.  When all my symptoms were crashing down on me at once, right when I was going to the doctors and trying to find out what was wrong, I noticed that I was a little dizzy when I turned my head fast.  This was one of the last symptoms, besides the facial numbness to show up, because I didn't have that when I first went to the ENT, because if I'd said I was dizzy I'd have gotten the MRI sooner. That's one reason why it took months longer than it should have to diagnose what I had. I noticed being a little dizzy when I was in the car and turning my head to look "both ways"....then I felt a little dizziness.   I had already been experiencing "car anxiety' which I now realize probably stemmed from my AN, since other's have mentioned that as well.  It was after my treatment that I had more dizziness, but it was not enough to have a cane or anything like that.  I noticed it on uneven ground, the sand as I mentioned, and turning my head fast, and small things like that.  I have had two very short, like seconds long, bouts of vertigo since my treatment.  All in all, I've been very lucky.  I haven't been on any boat or ship, so don't know how I'd do.  I'm guessing I might not be comfortable on a little boat, but I'm hoping I can ride the Washington State Ferry boats and not have any problems.  I think it's just the passing of time.  I'm better in stores now than I was two years ago.  It just takes awhile for the brain to compensate for the balance problems.  It's a gradual process.  For some insane reason, some people are really affected by balance issues and some people are not. It's a goofy illness/condition, that's for sure.  I never went to PT or anything.  It was never that bad.

I hope yours goes away soon

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

wendysig

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 07:19:39 pm »
Hi Sue,
Thanks for your reply. I was surprised when I was told I needed vestibular rehab because I didn't think things were that bad and would get better in time on theirrown, but I guess I was wrong.   The exercises I'm doing seem to be helping a little.  My balance issues are not terrible but bad enough that I don't feel comfortable outside or when I go shopping without my cane.  I don't use it at all in the house.  Driving is not a problem and doesn't cause dizzyness or disorientation.  When I get out of the car I do find I am a lttle dizzy though, and assume it has to do with the sudden  lack of motion.  Driving around in circles looking for a parking spot at the grocery store or mall, either as the driver or passenger also make me a little  dizzy.  I've started walking about two miles a day again and have to stop every now and then because of dizzyness too.  I didn't realize until I wrote this down I guesss I really am a dizzy dame!!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!