Author Topic: First thing in the morning  (Read 2521 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
First thing in the morning
« on: August 31, 2008, 08:25:12 pm »
For the past couple of days, first thing in the morning when I look in the mirror, I think that my lower lip looks fuller on the left side and my philtrum (yes, there is an anatomical term for the depression between your nose and mouth, made up of a philtral dimple and two philtral ridges -- I think it is a cool term!) is straighter. Within about ten minutes, though, my face is pulling toward the right again and stays that way for the rest of the day.

Is this a baby step toward recovery? Please say yes; I need a boost.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

sgerrard

Re: First thing in the morning
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:47:49 pm »
Okay, yes. :)

I share your delight in discovering that the philtrum comprises a philtral dimple and two philtral ridges - and I'm sure you have a lovely philtrum, as well.

I would guess that as you sleep, your face relaxes completely, and as you wake up, the right side begins to firm up as the muscles start doing their work for the day. If your face is staying balanced for 10 minutes, then that is at least a little bit of time where the left side is holding its own. Hopefully that length of time will get longer as the days go by. I think any new sign of symmetry, however brief, is a good thing.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:22:11 pm »
Sara,
YES! YES! and YES!......That IS what that means. I saw your picture and I sent you one of me at  your stage and I remember getting that line back......it is one of the signs PLUS you are symmetrical with your mouth closed. In my picture that I sent you...you will see have severely droopy I was. You have GREAT tone in your picture and symmetry and YES you are starting to see signs of recovery......YOU need to be dancing in the streets because it is happening ever so slowly although in your case......pretty quickly because I did NOT have those improvements until month 5. And by the way......I can NOT believe that in your picture you have no bruising or swelling at all with your eye implant. AMAZING.'
Angie

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 07:01:41 pm »
YES Sara this is how it all started for me!!!! I am sooooo excited for you- it is a SLOW process but so exciting, like Christmas morning. I pray for your face to be zappy and tingling. Good Luck keep us posted.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.