Author Topic: Should I, or should't I?  (Read 10338 times)

lori67

Re: Should I, or should't I?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 09:37:43 pm »
Brian,

I couldn't agree more with Kay - this was a LONG and CRAPPY day for you!

I hope you find a job you love, in a place you love that pays a lot more money than this one!  And a little more job security would be good too, huh?  I just keep hearing of so many people getting laid off lately.  It's scary.  You just never know.

Fortunately for me, I'm quite secure in my position here (Mom) and don't anticipate being laid off anytime soon.  The hours are a little rough and I would really like a day off, but, I guess I shouldn't complain.   ;)

I have my fingers crossed for you.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 10:10:25 pm »
Brian -

add me to the list with Kay and Lori - I too think this is really crappy  :(  I would say sh*tty, but you know I'd be censored!

Anyway, sorry to hear things aren't looking good; wish I had a job to give you.  Hang in there and know that lots of us are praying for you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 08:25:39 am »
My husband has been in technical recruiting/staffing for 35 years and his response is as follows:

Interview and do your best to get the job offer with no reason to bring up your AN unless asked; don't lie.  Upon receiving an offer that is attractive to you you will be asked to take a company drug screen and physical.  When you do this the AN will be part of your medical history and determinations will be made then.  As for health insurance he would suggest putting in for COBRA so that you maintain your health insurance (though you will have to pay for it) until you secure new employment and health insurance with them. 

Hope this helps.  Feel free to PM me if you want to talk with him. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

cindyj

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 07:21:25 pm »
Hey Brian,

Somehow missed seeing this thread til now...others here, as usual, have given you better advice than I could, but I did want to say how sorry I am to hear about the job loss.  Guess it's never a good time, but it must seem especially hard after all you've been through.

Take care...how are you otherwise? 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 08:20:06 pm »
Hi Brian,

Just checking in to see how you are doing.  Any news on jobs or options?  My heart goes out to you as face having to make difficult decisions.  Keep us posted.  We are rooting for you!

Maggie

Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 08:37:25 pm »
Thanks for all the advice and for asking about me.  I'm doing well.  I'm not 100% back to what I was before the surgery, but I'm durn close to it.  I still have a little facial weakness and I still have that "bobbing" feeling when I walk.  But, in most respects things are back to "normal" and I shouldn't complain too much.  I've been driving and back to work (for however long it lasts; latest is 2 weeks but it likely will be less) for over a month now putting in full or more than full days.  All told, if it doesn't get any better medically, then I can live with it; but I'd still like to be 100% again.  Time will tell.

The job hunt continues.  I have had 3 conversations with a company in Houston (actually Deer Park, but a suburb of Houston) all the way up to the CIO in Atlanta, GA.  The next steps are a face-to-face the next time he's in Houston.  That can't come fast enough for me.  I've also talked to an HR Manager for a company in Austin and it sounds somewhat promising.  Although, I thing the job in Deer Park is more appealing from a job content and monetary point of view.  I'm still looking and applying for jobs both here in Houston and outside of Houston (San Antonio, New Braunfels, and Austin) to see what comes of them.

Thanks for letting me vent a little (okay, a lot) about non-AN stuff.  It just puts a different spin on things given that I'm not 100% and just had AN surgery 4 months ago.  You guys can mostly understand that part.  I wisih I could be out before all the "clean up" work that will have to be done, but that's less and less likely.  We're now down to about 30 people (from 250 4 months ago).  So, I am very likely there til the very end.  I was told by one of the owners that it's possible they will come to me and ask that my salary be reduced before the very end.  Talk about adding insult to injury.  *sigh*  What really stinks is that I really like this guy.  He goes to the same church.  We exchange hand shakes (men) and hugs (men and the others' wife) when we see each other at church.  I totally empathize with the situation he's in, but that's not going to pay the bills.  So, I'm very stuck what to do if something comes available.

It all will work out one way or another.  It just stinks along the way.  I hate that.

Probably more than you wanted to know.  But, there it is..  Many of you deal with your own issues both AN-related and non-AN related.  You definitely are admired by myself for the things you each go through each day.

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 08:45:03 pm »
Brian -

thanks for the update on your job situation, and please don't ever hesitate to discuss non-AN aspects of your life if you are comfortable doing so.  We're so much like family here, I personally wouldn't want it any other way.

I think if a job becomes available and you take it before your company is ready to let you go, the owner will understand.  Afterall, you have to support yourself and your family.

As for the pay cut, I don't have any experience with that, but I think that logically that means you can't file for unemployment.  So if the owner wants to give you a pay cut, you might want to see if you'd be better off financially applying for unemployment - depending on the amount of the pay cut, employment might actually pay you more.  I'm not sure; but it's something to consider.

As you say, things will work out one way or another. 

Keep the faith,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2008, 08:56:35 am »
Brian~
Thanks for the update - I was wondering...I believe that ALL things happen for a reason, we just have to look for it.  I know that sometimes that is not an easy task - especially at the time.  I'm still praying!

Keep the faith,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2008, 11:03:31 am »
Hey Brian-

Well, haven't you had enough cr*p this year?  I am really sorry to read that your employer seems to  be circling the drain so quickly.  I will keep fingers crossed that one of your other options comes to fruition soon - and would echo what Jan said in that your current employer has to understand that you have to support yourself - even if that means leaving before they are ready for you to go. 

You will be in my thoughts - and prayers.  Keep us posted.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

sgerrard

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 04:47:59 pm »
Hi Brian,

Apparently everything in Texas is bigger, including the piles of cr*p. :)

If you talk to the CIO and he offers you the job in Deer Park, take it. Maybe you can work something out that eases the transition, maybe not, but you have to put your family first. In fact your potential new employer has to come second, since that will be your livelihood, so you're former employer has to come in third. If it works out, you can try to make the transition as smooth as possible for him, but not at the risk of your own future.

I hope you land something soon, and that it goes as well as can be expected for this kind of shake up. I also hope you hold up well through the process, I'm sure it wears you down worrying about it all. Try to take care of yourself at the same time.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2008, 05:55:21 pm »
Hi Brian, I don't usually venture out of the Post-Treatment forums, but your post caught my eye. I'm sorry you are having employment difficulties. That's really stressful. Your comments about a potential pay cut reminded me of something that happened to me years ago when I worked for a St. Louis architectural developer as a planner. At my annual performance review I requested a pay increase based on the fact that I was one of only two income-producers in our unit, and had brought in additional accounts during the prior year. Because I was a single mother in a relatively tight job market the principals of the firm thought I was at their mercy, and denied the raise. However, I had in my back pocket a job offer from an old friend in Jefferson City, and later that day I submitted my resignation. A few weeks later a friend back at the St. Louis firm told me they had to hire two people to take my place . . . so much for saving money! Within six months everyone at the firm was at half pay, and within a year the firm closed.

I like to think it was all because they refused their star employee a well-deserved raise, but had I stayed I would have been in the same mess that everyone else was. It was a real turning point in my life, because it ultimately led to my meeting and marrying my wonderful husband and having two more children.

I pray that your situation turns out well for your family, Brian. My husband works in the IT field as CIO for a medical group. It's a great field where you can use your skills in many different industries.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Cheryl R

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2008, 06:26:48 pm »
This is way off AN business but I am curious about various states standard of living.     I recently read an article in USA Today about a family who moved to Texas from Calif to have a better standard of living.            They did pay less for a home, I think in close to 300,000 range(maybe a little more but don't think so) but they are paying $7,000 to $8,000 a year for propery taxes and that just floored me.          We pay here $1600 a year for a 3 bedroom ranch and on 7 acres.       We are around 35 mi from Des Moines.   
DM is very big on insurance companies and know IT is becoming bigger and Microsoft is coming also.
Every state does have various ways of making people pay more but that really surprised me.
                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2008, 08:18:16 pm »
Pooter,

I haven't read all 4 pages, so someone might have already said this. That being said...it's my understanding that normally as long as you don't have a lapse in insurance coverage of 60 or 62 days or more, there should not be any problems of excluding a 'pre-existing condition'. Also, what I did when I changed jobs last year is I went on COBRA to keep my exisiting insurance for the 3 months before my new employer would allow me to be covered by their insurance. It was a bit expensive, but I would do it again in a heart beat. I would find out what insurance company they have and either ask their HR or call the insurance company to find out exactly what their rule is.

And, no - I don't think I would tell the new employer either. So what if you have to have an occasional MRI or a dr. visit. No different than doing either of these for another excuse.

cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2008, 05:04:43 am »
Cheryl,
Yes, property taxes in Texas are on the high side.  We pay property taxes plus MUD taxes for our home. (Some developers include the MUD taxes in the final price you pay)  If it isn't paid by the developer you can either pay it allup from or pay by the year.  The amount goes down each year and goes down even more if more homes are built in the subdivision.  It comes to around $5800.  We get a lot more for the money per square foot here than in other states.  We also do not have a state income tax. Our property taxes include county taxes, community college taxes, school taxes, road tax and a bunch of other taxes all rolled into one.  I have lived in many, many other states and I wouldn't trade living in any other state even if the taxes were doubled next year!  Texas has a lot to offer and the people are wonderful.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2008, 06:52:51 am »
WHOO-HOO for TEXAS!!!!   ;D   ;D   ;D   A Texas girl through and through!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!