Author Topic: Should I, or should't I?  (Read 10339 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: Should I, or should't I?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 09:45:23 pm »
Hey Brian,
I'm weighing in with the others on the "don't ask, don't tell" plan.  If you currently have what's called a "cafeteria" plan for health coverage and you have been consistently enrolled, a new company just adds you to their plan. So-o-o-o-o, be your charming best and dazzle them w/ BS!
Drinks sound good.  Then ALL of us would have an excuse for slurring our words. :D
Maggie
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 11:39:16 pm »
Thanks Marci, Trish and Maggie!

Unfortunately, I am officially looking now.  We all got served a memo from the owners that said between tomorrow and October 31 that everyone would eventually lose their position and the company would cease to exist.  I talked to one of the owners after the memo went out (he's my direct boss anyhow) and he realizes that it stinks for all of us, but the company lost $200,000 last month and it "will be worse this month" (his words).  The owners haven't taken a paycheck since earlier this year, and last year they took a paycheck 3 times.  Granted, he's the owner and so was making good money prior to that and able to go without a paycheck with relative ease.  But, I'm officially in the market. 

It's just shocking how quickly it went.  When I left in May we were on top of the world, making money hand over fist (we grossed 1.5 million in May!) and today we're told we're shutting the doors.  It's AMAZING where we are now.  Now, we all have to go out and find new jobs at a time when the economy in general is really down.  Ugh!  Perhaps I'll use this to get back to Austin or San Antonio (or somewhere in between) since I have family and friends (and Jenni has family) in Austin.

Maybe I can coax the ANA Leer from Phyl to get around...it comes with everything paid already right? ;)

This stinks!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 11:54:39 pm »
Hi  Brian,

Bummer about having to look for a new job...

I believe that your AN should remain private... It will not affect your new employer..no work will be lost in time because of it...it is finished...kaput...no more...all gone..bye bye...There was another thread about this as well.

Although  I was in a different situation as I was staying in my current position, I still wrestled with what to say. After my surgery, I know I avoided the words "brain tumor" at all costs with those I worked with. People add their own interpretation to words.  After the fact, when I was out recuperating for five weeks, I told work colleagues I had surgery on my inner ear. Nobody made a judgment with those words. I work in a large suburban school district and like other places, "rumors" run rampant.
I believe that it is your own personal business and the words "brain tumor" etc.... illicit a connotation associated with them that brings out "fear".

As a matter of fact with privacy laws, I don't even think an employer has the right to ask you what your condition is...You just need a return to work letter.

All of this is to say is keep "mum".  If ever asked about your scar, you can find a way that is comfortable for you as I did for me. Ironically, now seven years later, I have talked about it to some, but still avoid the term "brain tumor" and have used "benign tumor in my inner ear".

Kate
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:01:56 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 05:32:45 am »
oh, my Pooter! I'm sorry to hear this news and sounds like ownership did all they could to make sure you all were set and didn't even take payroll for themselves.

*hands Pooter 1st class plaine tix boarding pass for Mod Leer Jet*

Hang in there.... I know after Labor Day, the interviewing process should be good... hang tough.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 08:57:16 am »
Hey Brian,

That kinda sucks. But, look at it as opportunity anyway. You're next job will be a better one, and maybe in a better choice of city. Although as already said, I wouldn't go into  medical details about the AN, your experience this summer proves that "when the going gets tough, Brian gets going." What you have been through and survived already will make getting a new job look like a piece of cake, and you will make somebody an outstanding new employee who can get it done when it needs doing.

Best wishes in your new job.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

kimberly

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 10:48:10 am »
Hi Brian :

I can't answer that for you , but when I have a question I always try to go with my initial gut reaction.  The simple fact that you are asking if you should tell them might indicate that you shouldn't (does that make sense?)

The one question I do have for you and others with jobs and insurance.  Is an AN considered a pre-existing condition if it returns? 

Best wishes to you with your job search.  The economy has to get better soon!

Kimberly

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 10:59:36 am »
Ah, Brian, that sucks.  I am so sorry that you are having to deal with a job upheaval right now.  It is hard enough going through a layoff when you are at your very best - let alone 3 months after brain surgery.  On the flip side - you HAVE survived brain surgery and that should give you a pretty high level of confidence as you venture into the job market.  I wish I had some contacts for you in TX.

Let us know how we can help.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 12:59:28 pm »
Brian,
Seems like the company fell apart after you left.  What does that tell you?  :o

I know you will find another job and a better job.  A new opportunity, and a fresh start sounds pretty good right now.  Go get 'em Brian.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 01:20:02 pm »
Hi Pooter,
  Sorry to hear about the company collapsing.  I worked in the Oil business (Awl Bidness) in Dallas Texas in the late 80's.  The price of Oil, believe it or not, was stuck at $12 a barrel.  And ARCO went from 50,000 employees down to 5,000 in a series of layoffs, and was then bought by BP.  Layoffs are not fun, but in a perverse way they can give more self confidence that you can weather the storm and come out stronger.  After having a brain tumor, my guess is that this doesn't seem as important as it once might have.  :)
  Good luck in the job search.  You know we're all chearing you on.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 06:24:16 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 01:47:46 pm »
Brian:

I just wanted to express my disappointment at learning of your impending job loss.  Not much comfort, but I think you sensed this was coming, so it can't be a total shock...but it's still a hassle.

As someone who spent many years in a very volatile business (radio broadcasting) where the term 'job security' was unheard of, I know the feelings of anxiety and frustration that come with having the rug pulled out from under you.  And it's always at the worst time.  I probably held at least 10 radio jobs in 25 years and lost some due to managements idiotic programming decisions, mercurial audiences, ferocious competition and hopeless executives/owners that didn't have a clue about how to run a profitable radio station and deal with the vicissitudes of an audience with many choices vying for their ears and their time.  The owners/executives all thought they were way smarter than guys like me who 'just talked' for a living.  Besides, they drove a Cadillac DeVille.  I drove a Chevy Camaro.  Most were wannabe disc jockeys who didn't have the talent to succeed in that profession so they went into sales, did well, then bought or invested in a radio station and drove it into the ground with their lack of business acumen, eventually putting dozens of hard-working people in a financial bind.  The 'glamor' of show business.  Bah!  But I digress.

Brian, judging from your narrative, it seems as if your employers are decent folks and did the best they could but just couldn't make it work any longer, probably due to forces beyond their control.  It happens.  Still, you have to look to your future.  I have no advice except the advice I used to follow: go where the work is.  Don't be afraid of new challenges and be determined to come out of this in better shape than you started.  We're all rooting for you, Brian.  I know you'll be O.K.  After all, you survived your AN experience rather well and I know you'll survive this momentary set-back.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LADavid

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 07:18:56 pm »
Hey Brian

Since this has pretty much turned into a poll, I'll add my don't lie if asked, but don't offer anything.  It was something that happened in your past.

Meanwhile, I am very sorry to hear about the job situation.  I don't have any advice other than, how are your acting skills?  I have some excellent contacts.  Of course, we may be headed for a strike so that might not work out.

Best wishes on your job hunting

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

JulieW4

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 10:08:35 pm »
Brian, 

I am so sorry to hear about your job situation.  It sucks in that you are just recovering from the stress of surgery and now you have to deal with the stress of job hunting. 

But I did want to add that if you do extend your job search to San Antonio that you have a fellow ANer that will welcome you back to our wonderful city.  I can refer you to some wonderful docs for follow-up care.

Good luck with the job search, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 08:17:55 pm »
Ok, I've been all-but-absent from the forum (even though I've been looking, I haven't been posting much) and I'm sorry for that.  Julie, I haven't limited my search to Houston.  I've been looking in Austin, New Braunfels and San Antonio as well.  If ya hear of something in the IT Management arena, let me know.

Thanks to all who've expressed their opinions and thoughts on it.  I take them all to heart deeply.  Even though it does stink having to deal with still healing from the AN surgery, I'm hopeful that I'll find something soon.  I haven't lost my job (yet), but if ya keep reading it gets better.

Today, they let go of someone who had been there since we opened the doors (13 years ago).  That was very telling and shocking at the same time.  Shocker #1.

Tonight, I talked to one of the owner's wife (I told ya we were a small family-oriented company).  She let me know that my only co-worker would come over to their house to finally fix some things up technically over there.  (Keep in mind that he just spent the night in the ER with his wife because she has what we now know are cysts/tumors on her only working ovary)  And, to top it off, I will likely have to let him go after he gets back.  Shocker #2.

She also told me, because "I would hear anyhow", that their shutting the company down in most respects tomorrow and letting many people go tomorrow.  Shocker #3.

To top it all off, she tells me that the owner (her husband) had just got off the phone with our biggest customer and the attorney's for both companies and likely we will let most people go tomorrow and only a few people will stick around to tie things off / clean up and we're shutting the doors.  So, what started out as shutting down October 31 has turned into September 15.  Shocker #4.

Needless to say, it's been a LOOOOONG day.  I have several leads (both in the area and in Austin).  So, hopefully one of them will pan out soon.  Keep me in your prayers and thoughts during this extremely trying time.

Thanks!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

robynabc

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 08:25:01 pm »
HI,

Now I live in Colorado but you should be covered by a preexisting condition as long as you have continuous coverage.  You should know and so should everyone.  DO NOT LET COVERAGE LAPSE if you can because then the don't have to cover pre existing conditions.  If your problems do not affect your job you don't have to say a word. Granted this is the law in Colorado but I think that is true everywhere. 

Sending Sunshine

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

Kaybo

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 08:28:55 pm »
Brian~
What a CRAPPY day!!  I don't usually write stuff like that, but that is just what it was!!  I have been praying so hard for you then I kind of slacked off (sick girly, school starting) so I will get back on that!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!