Author Topic: Recently Diagnosed AN  (Read 5383 times)

Dusty

Recently Diagnosed AN
« on: August 15, 2008, 02:07:31 pm »
I was diagnosed in July 2008 with a right AN.  I have lost significant hearing in my right ear and have tinnitus as well, which was the initial reason my doctor scheduled an MRI.  I was referred to Dr. Antonelli at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Fla.   Dr. Antonelli was great and recommended I take the watch and wait approach and have a 2nd MRI in 6 months to chart any growth pattern.  Reading all the stories and comments on this forum has been extremely helpful.   I look forward to sharing additional information on my AN journey.
Diagnosed 6/2008 Right AN 8mmx11mmx12mm
Tinnitus, vertigo & pressure
MRI 1/2009 - AN 14mmx12mmx13mm
Surgery Schedule 3/16/2009 Drs. Antonelli and Lewis
Surgery Completed 3/16/2009 AN removed and accoustic nerve cut.
SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Recently Diagnosed AN
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 02:26:31 pm »
Hi, Dusty and welcome to the forum  ;D

Although I'm sorry you have an acoustic neuroma, I'm very glad you found us.

This forum is full of excellent information, good humor, and great advice.

It sounds like you're already in the hands of some good doctors, but I'd also like to suggest that you contact the ANA and ask them for their literature if you haven't already done so.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dusty

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 02:33:08 pm »
Thanks Jan.  Dr. Antonneli provided me with some literature and actuallly recommended that I get on the ANA forum.   I will contact the ANA and request the literature as you suggested.

Dusty
SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:39:56 pm »
Sounds like a plan.

And kudos to Dr. Antonneli - some doctors are unaware of the forum and we're all trying to inform them. 

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 03:36:51 pm »
Hi, Dusty:

The AN diagnosis is never welcome but fortunately they are almost always benign and quite treatable.  I assume your AN is small enough to be observed without risk.  You appear to have a solid medical professional working with you, which is a big plus.  My neurosurgeon has been a member of ANA since it's inception.  I believe that speaks well of his committment to AN patients and your Dr. Antonelli seems to be equally involved.  So far, so good.  :)

Let me extend another welcome to you as well as a wish for better days - and no AN growth. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 09:22:00 am »
Hi Dusty, Sorry you have joined our group but this forum is such a good place for information, stories, questions and support .....and I can say it is all that and I am newly diagnosed in June 08.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Dusty

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 09:36:33 am »
Thanks for the support.  My AN is small (confined to ear canal?).  I also have great support from family, friends, and management at my work.  I will continue to lean on the ANA family also and provide updates and support to others on this forum struggling to deal with their diagnosis. 

Dusty
SSD

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 05:18:53 pm »
Dusty,
     Welcome to this forum.  I'm glad to hear that someone else is from Florida and had the same doctor.  You seem in good hand.  Take it one day at a time.
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 05:59:48 pm »
Dusty,

I wanted to say "hello" and I have Dr. Antonelli for my neurotologist.  As you can see below I had surgery in 2005 and went back for more work in 2008.  He's a wonderful doctor, I know you will be in goods with him and the staff.  Feel free to ask me any questions you might have. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 10:42:12 am »
Sorry for getting to this late, but welcome to the forum, Dusty!  This forum is a wealth of information about all treatments, ailments, symptoms, etc..  I encourage you to ask all of your questions (I'm sure there are plenty!).  You'll find some really great people here to help.  Nobody wants to be here, but yet we do want to be here.

I had surgery about 4 months ago, and life is getting back to normal for me.  We all have different outcomes to the different treatment options, so I encourage you to take your time and make the right one for you.  If we can help that in any way, please let us know. 

In the meantime, welcome to the forum!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

candtlaw

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 12:51:40 pm »
welcome Dusty......... I agree you are very smart to explore all options that are there for you. GL....................
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 02:55:35 pm »
Hi Dusty,

Sounds like you are in good hands with your doctor.  Important.  I was diagnosed 12/05 with a small AN in left ear.  My AN didn't grow until this past year--and, it is still small as you can see in my signature below.  I have decided to have GK in mid-Sept.  I did a lot of research, and it helped me make an informed decision. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, lots of good support at home and now you can use this board to your own benefit.  One thing I found helpful was to find people here on the board who live in my area and/or have had treatment with my doctor and to use these people as a resource.  You are not alone.  Hang in there.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Dusty

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 07:38:05 am »
Thankd for all the feedback.  My Audiologist is wanting to try a hearing aid with (white noise?) to see if it will help with the tinnitus.  They have never tried this with an AN patient with tinnitus so I don't have high hope for any relief with this.  Will post my results in a couple of months.  Meanwhiie we watch and wait for my next MRI in Jan 09.

Dusty
SSD