Author Topic: Starting vestibular rehab  (Read 10174 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: Starting vestibular rehab
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 11:39:55 am »
Cheri,

If you find that you can turn your head quickly from L to R while walking and not stumble, veering off course is okay, if you can stand with one foot in front of other hip width apart with steadiness, look up, walk in malls while looking around and feeling fine, not nauseous, then you probably don't need VR training.  If you do feel you need this look into facility at hospital, or call your local gp inquiring. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 05:40:46 pm »
Hi Cheri,

One of my docs told me that she knew I was motivated enough to get back to 'normal' on my own, but if I wanted to go to VPT, it would just help me get there faster.

I told the therapist that I had been nervous coming to it because of stories I'd heard about people having naseua and vomiting. She told me that her philosophy was that if she made people feel like that they wouldn't come back or do the exercises.

I went at 4 weeks post-op. The first week after doing the exercises I did feel a little worse, but after that I was amazed at how quickly the exercises make me feel better. And they don't take very long to do, either. 5 min. tops. I still walk outside everday, as that also helps me.

Now at almost 9 weeks post op I can go into the mall, restaurants, etc. and I'm doing fine. Such a relief!! Just 2 weeks ago I couldn't handle the mall.

Good luck,
Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Omaschwannoma

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 06:13:21 am »
Cheri,

Your PT will be able to asses your balance and set up specific exercises for you.  Vestibular Therapy is just that, comes from a PT who asseses your balance, could be assesed on a machine much like the one I had where it's hooked up to a computer.  The floor moves as do the walls and the computer measures your body sway.  The PT may even use specialized frenzel glasses and put you through manuvers on a table to check for nystagmus.  The PT then will come up with specific VT exercises, probably ones that your doctors have passed on to you. 

If you feel after six weeks you are having difficulty keeping your balance then seeing a therapist is the way to go. 

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 08:02:22 pm »
So David, this is my question now.  I've got a prescription for physical therapy but vestibular therapy I'm a bit confused about.  Are these the same?  And if so, would you all recommend I get to a PT now and begin?  I just don't know how hard to push yet.  While at St. Vincent I went to PT there and they gave me exercises to do that we've been doing daily, sometimes twice a day.  They are for balance though, nothing for facial.  My docs all say I don't need to do facial's.  I'd like to hear everyone's opinion's. 

Cheri,

I think you have to listen to what your body is telling you and make your judgement on when you're ready for PT by that. For me, I could have went at 1 week post-op but didn't feel ready to push myself at that point. At 4 weeks I was feeling pretty good, was walking around without help and took a few short test drives, but was still uncomfortable with the driving. I figured, what the heck and tried the PT when my dr suggested it again at my 4 week post-op. I'm glad I did. After 1 week of doing the exercises the driving was SO much better and I feel it helped me a lot. I'm glad I went when I did.

So weird about the BCBS folks calling you. Never heard of that before.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Omaschwannoma

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 08:50:19 am »
....picking myself up off the floor after reading about insurance company calling to "help" patient!

Before you decide NOT to try again that which makes you "ill" or hard to do, I encourage you to get out there over and over as first time for all vestibular challenges is the worst.  Second time not so bad, try not to let your thoughts fool you into a fearful state.  Also, while walking outside, do not keep your head down--look straight ahead, do not hold your head steady--relax your head/neck while walking.  Yes, this will make you feel ill and uncomfortable BUT you are re-training your brain and you don't want to train it the wrong way.  Take your cane with you, but carry it instead of relying on it.  You can rely on it to get you back home safely. 

At PT I did some of the uphill/downhill head turning stuff, you might want to use your driveway to go up and down while turning your head to L and center quickly, then turn around to repeat on L side.  Then, repeat looking quickly to R side, back to center, up and down driveway.  Keep doing this for one full minute, go inside, close your eyes and rest. 

Cheering you on to a more balanced life!

Omaschwannoma

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 05:20:42 am »
Right!   :D