Author Topic: Nancy L - home after 8/6 retro at House Clinic / St. Vincent's  (Read 15658 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Nancy L - home after 8/6 retro at House Clinic / St. Vincent's
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 12:39:59 pm »
I LOVE the picture!!!  And, David, I like the artful way you've turned you head to one side - this is exactly what my two NY acress friends told me to do to minimize my crooked face in smiles.  This mus be something you learn as an actor!  Anyway, I think you all look fabulous!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cindyj

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2008, 03:03:30 pm »
Ok, we really must come up w/ a word for the pre-treatment folks!  It's driving me nuts.  "Ante" means before, so would we be ants?  Jim, surely you can think of something???

Nancy, looking forward to meeting you, too (hopefully David also).  You guys are becoming the official AN welcoming committee in CA!

cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2008, 03:29:12 pm »
Cindy~
I am thinking and have solicted help from my good friend that just comes up with crazy stuff like that.  We should get Lori's input - she's the witty one!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2008, 07:49:22 pm »
So I'm off doing something else for a day and I come back to these compliments.  A Pshaw, Ladies.  And here I thought I was invisible to women in their 30's.  It puts a half-smile on a Wonky-Headed Boy.  I'm thinking that I'm living in the wrong part of this country.

OK back to serious stuff.  Cheri, when would you rather have a visit from the LA welcoming committee?  Pre-surgery when you need the encouragement?  Or post-surgery when you're ready to party? Or both if we can get our collective act together.  And Cindy, even though I may be in Long Beach by then, I will make the trip up to LA.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2008, 08:10:06 pm »
David, you are a hottie, sorry, it's just the way it is.  Or maybe it's because you were surrounded by two beautiful women??
Marci (never without an opinion)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

LADavid

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2008, 10:52:58 pm »
Nancy -- the 30th?  Noon?  Our favorite meeting place -- St Vincent's cafeteria?

And Marci -- it's because I was surrounded by two beautiful women.  Really.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

NL

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2008, 04:24:41 am »
Debbi - Glad you liked the pic, too. We were all so happy that our plan to meet actually worked out!

Steve - "preppie" was a good try, but I think you were overruled. ;)  (All I can think of are "pre-treatie" or "pre-postie" - both a little long.)

K - I'm hoping your friend or Lori will come up with the perfect term!

Marci & David - you are both VERY sweet!  :)

Cheri & David - Noon or early afternoon on the 30th it is. (Cheri, I'll PM you my cell #.)

On the recovery front, I have to say it is amazing to me that I had brain surgery six weeks ago today! Though I still take naps everyday, six weeks ago I never thought I'd get my energy level back to where it is today - not quite where it was, but it feels good none-the-less! It gives me a sense of normalcy again. Of course, that might go out the window when I go back to work in a couple of weeks!

An interesting thing about my work...when I first mentioned to my boss that I was having problems with my inner ear (I knew I had the AN but wasn't ready to say anything), he told me he knew a good place to go for ear problems . He went on to tell me that he had a benign brain tumor removed from his inner ear back in 1975 at the House Clinic!!! Turns out he had a middle fossa done by Dr. William House. It's amazing how small the world can be...or is it just that our AN world is so small???  ::)

Nancy (up way too late again :P)
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2008, 07:52:47 am »
Just a quick comment on the House "family tree" for those who may be interested. Dr. William House, who performed Nancy's boss' surgery in 1975, was the younger half-brother of Dr. Howard House, the founder of the Clinic and Institute, and the uncle of Dr. John House, who's currently at the Clinic. If you google Howard House, you'll find an absolutely fascinating interview he gave when he was in his 80's, detailing his career and the early history of auditory science and medicine. I think that every AN patient, regardless of his/her treatment decisions, owes so much to this medical pioneer.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

LADavid

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2008, 12:23:22 am »
Cheri
Photogenic doesn't count.  Heart does.  You bring yours.  We'll bring ours.
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2008, 05:42:20 am »
I know I'm late chiming in here... but what a fantastic pic of you all! You all truly look marvelous! I'm thrilled you all got to meet each other face to face.  IMO, it truly does make a difference in this "journey" to meet others face to face that walk the same shoes (different sizes, of course! :) ).  I try to stress the importance of meeting others face to face and thrilled you all did.

Have fun on the 30th (reminder:  to organize get togethers, try to post them in AN Community like we do for the NE Brunch, so threads here stay on track. It is one reason the AN Community was created. :)  )

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"