Author Topic: eye drops  (Read 3904 times)

Karen

eye drops
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:53:51 pm »
What do you do when you get sick and tired of putting drops in your eye?  Somedays I get so tired of it all and today is one of the days.   I have a numb cornea and have to be very careful.  Somedays I think it would be a whole lot easier to have the eye sewn shut!!!   I don't know if using an eye patch would be a good idea if I don't have feeling.  I use Celluvisc every hour or so now.  Karen                                               
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Jeanlea

Re: eye drops
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:18:18 pm »
Karen,

Some days are just that way.  I've thought of sewing my shut at times.  But then I'm glad I didn't.  Even with lots of ointment and/or gel I still get vision from it that I think I would miss.  On days when I don't want to worry about putting in a lot of gel drops I put in ointment in the morning and I'm good until the evening, especially now in the summer with all of the humidity.  The good part of having a numb cornea is that we don't feel any pain.  I suppose you could tape your eye shut and put a black patch over and act like a pirate.  :-) 
Hope tomorrow is a better day.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:46:25 pm »
Hi Karen:  I still use Refresh PM eye lubricant every 2 hours or so,  been doing it for over 2 years.    I can feel when my cornea gets dry, my eye starts to burn.

I've still got some 'tweaking' to do re: eye surgery to capture my tears.

You do what you gotta do my friend. 

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 07:43:18 pm »
Hi Karen. Sorry you are having a bad day.

When my eye gets tired (or I get tired of my eye, take your pick), I put Refresh PM on it and pop on the old pirate patch. The kind from the pharmacy won't touch your eye, so I don't think you would have to worry about your numb cornea. I never bother with taping my eye. It's too hard on my skin, and I have read that the potential for corneal injuries is actually higher from tape than from patches.

Also, a trick I learned from my LASIK days -- sometimes my dry eye will feel better just by putting moisturizer on my face. I don't know why it works but it does, at least for me.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 05:11:04 pm »
 Oh this eye thing is a pain isn't it? I am putting Refresh Celluvisc in every 15 minutes. When I get frustrated I put in lacilube and when it really burns I patch it. I don't like my eye open under the patch so I wet a piece of gauze and then the patch - I get great relief.
Tomorrow is a new day!
Michelle  ;)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 05:27:56 pm »
Karen, I got a pair of RSVP Onion Goggles today. They are a lot more helpful than I thought they would be. They were designed to keep onion fumes away from your eyes, but the foam makes them into a pair of clear moisture chamber glasses. They run about $20 (about the same as two tubes of Refresh PM!) and you can find them at amazon.com or on eBay, other places too, I'm sure.

I was ready to put in some Refresh PM and pop on the pirate patch when I discovered the box from amazon.com in the mail and decided to give the onion goggles a try. I was able to go for a really long time before i needed more drops.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 06:03:58 pm »
Good recommendation on the onoin goggles!  I have never even heard of them.  I may have to look into one for those times when I can't wear the blinkeze. 

Sara, is your eye weight helping?  I find I don't have to lube nearly as often with it - I use the thickest Celluvisc every hour or so - as compared to every 15 minutes without the eye weight.   :P

I keep "testing" my eye to see if it is making tears yet - I've been chopping a lot of onioins but no tears (except for my good eye which is working really well!  ;D)

I still use puralube (cheaper than lacrilube, same ingredients) at night - Refresh PM doesn't quite do it for me at night.

sigh...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 06:46:43 pm »
http://www.dryeyeyellowpages.com/products/eyewear/oniongoggles.html
As Sara said they come in green or pink. Pink supporting breast cancer research.

More great stuff here:
http://www.dryeyeyellowpages.com/products/index.html
I bought the tranquileyes and use the extra foam inserts, that have two way tape, and stuck them inside my sun glasses and at times I put them on for relief.  It works so well when you are outside - good so your eye doesn't dry out and nothing can blow or fly in.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 06:52:24 pm »
Debbi,

Yes, the eyelid implant seems to be helping. My left eye doesn't blink as much as I hoped, but it seems to be improving -- I can see a shadow when I blink so it's coming down some. My eye does pretty well in the morning, but starts to get drier in the afternoon. I have a follow-up with Dr. Custer tomorrow afternoon so I should know more then.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 07:05:39 pm »
Good luck with your follow up tomorrow Sara. Let us know how it goes.
Michelle  ;D