Author Topic: Tiny Hear Aid for SSD???  (Read 1843 times)

Mo Ro

Tiny Hear Aid for SSD???
« on: August 05, 2008, 04:22:07 pm »
During one of my consultations, a doctor spoke of a hearing aid for SSD that is very small and fits entirely in the ear.  It is difficult if not impossible to see while wearing it. Apparently, not everyone is a candidate for this device and we wouldn't know until I kiss my hearing goodbye if I would be able to use one. I have not been able to find anything about this hearing aid online and when I emailed the doctor who told me of this little mystery all she said was she would make me an appointment with audiology the day before my surgery to discuss options.

Has anyone else heard of this little jewel or perhaps someone is using one?

Thanks
Mo
1 cm left side AN
Surgery scheduled at Duke University Hospital October 7th
Translab - Drs. Sampson, Tucci, and Fukushima

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Tiny Hear Aid for SSD???
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 04:45:06 pm »
Mo Ro -

It sounds like your doctor is referring to the Transear.  If you search "Transear" you'll find many posts about it on this forum.

There is also a tiny little hearing aid that attaches surgically to your skull - called a BAHA.  There are many posts on the forum, if you search.  You will also find pictures of my BAHA and sabuck's as well.

Happy "hunting"  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Tiny Hear Aid for SSD???
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:46:04 am »
I don't know. The transear has a significant part out of the ear. Can you call your doctor back and ask for the name? Tell him or her you'd like to research it on the internet.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13