Author Topic: 24 yr old with 4cm AN, hearing is still good, where should I go for surgery?  (Read 14613 times)

Bobbibl

I am a 24 year old male recently diagnosed with a 4cm AN.  My hearing on that side is almost completely still there.  Where should I go for treatment.  Hearing conservation is very important to me.  I am currently living in NJ.
4cm AN removed 9/23/08 at Columbia-Presbryterian in NYC by Dr. Michael Sisti with Retrosig approach.  No facial/muscle/balance issues just SSD on left side.

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
Hi Bobbibl,

Welcome to the forum and sorry for your diagnosis. I just would like to share your anxiety! i am in the same boat as you are, I was at the same age when diagnosed and had two retrosigmoids, (you can read about it in my signature) too!
During my first surgery i did not have a choice, once the doctor saw my MRIs, he immediately hospitalized me (I even was not allowed to get home and have stuff for my stay in the hospital - my relatives had to bring it later)!

But now since I have more time and know that i need another surgery i am looking for good surgeons across the planet (I forgot to mention I am from Bulgaria, Europe!)!

I have already got in touch with the House Ear Institute (HEI) in LA, California - they are top-notch - lot of the members had their surgeries performed there - KateB (she was one of the first to write to me and to give me detailed information!, JerseyGirl2, Bridget, Catherine and many others). I am sure they will go along the thread but just in case you may need to send them personal messages.

I have also heard of very good outcomes form members who had their surgeries in Cleveland Clinic - Pembo and MAlegnat can help here.

Another centers i have heard excellent recommendations of are the Michigan Ear Institute and Ear Institute in Chicago - Jan is a great reference to the latter!

I have already received some information from Dr House in House Ear Clinic in LA so if you need it, just PM me!

As far as I got from the site, those who are insured in the USA get paid for the surgery, hope you won't have any problems about this!
Otherwise it is VERY VERY expensive (you hear it from the horse's mouth ;) )

Best wishes in your search, I can assure you that you found a great place full of information and willing to help people!

Ask any questions you have and hang on here,

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Hi and welcome. 

I can't add a whole lot to Hrissy's reply, but there is an excellent group at NYU - Drs. Golfino and Roland.  Debbi had surgery there recently and so did a few others on this forum.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
I had my surgery on July 22 at University Hospitals in Cleveland with Dr. Bambakidis and Dr. Megerian.  The standard of care I received was excellent.

That being said, you should be able to find good suggestions from the east coasters out there.  I'm sorry you have to deal with this but as you will see, there are many of us that can support you, share stories, and help out along the way.

Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kate B

• AN World
Hi there,

You are my son's age!

I understand the  quest for maintaining your hearing. Is your tumor 4cm?  If so, that is considered a large tumor.  If by chance it were 4 mm, then that is another story.

A large tumor often limits the  choice for the type of treatment.  For example, at UPMC when I researched they wanted the tumor to be less than 3 cm in order to do GK.  With a 4 cm tumor, doctors will most likely recommend the translab surgery because of the access to the tumor.  I am not trying to rain on your parade, but know with that type of surgery, hearing loss is the norm.  What becomes equally important to many, is preserving the facial nerve.

In my opinion, House Ear Institute is the gold standard because diseases of the ear are their only focus. Even if you can't travel to Los Angeles, the doctors there will do a free consultation over the phone.  They perform many of these surgeries per week.
If I were you, I'd send it there for the consultation.  The doctor will spend as much time as you want answering your questions.

From the House Ear Clinic Website:
House Ear Clinic CONSULTATIONS

If you, a family member, or someone you know has been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, you may consult with a doctor from the House Ear Clinic team. We will be happy to review the MRI scans and audiogram and speak with you by telephone (we must have a copy of the actual MRI film, reports are not sufficient by themselves).

Send the MRI scans by express delivery (be sure that you are able to track the package) to:

House Ear Clinic
Attn: Acoustic Neuroma Website Consultations
2100 W. Third Street, 1st Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90057

You can expect to hear from a House Ear Clinic physician within 24 hours of our receipt of your information. You may also call or fax a House Ear Clinic physician at:

Telephone: (213) 483-9930
FAX: (213) 484-5900

All the best to you,
Kate

« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:06:53 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Hi Bobbi-

So sorry to hear you have an AN!  Not the diagnosis any of us wanted.  The good news ("good" being a relative term) is that you are close to some excellent medical teams.

As Jan mentioned, I had surgery with the Golfinos/Roland team at NYU on April 30.  If you do a search of either doctor's name here on this Forum, you'll find quite a few others who also went to NYU with this team.  Dr. Golfinos also heads up the Gamma Knife Unit at NYU, so he can talk to you about non-surgical options as well.

There are also a number of other highly skilled and experienced teams in NYC.  Wendysig just had surgery with Dr. Choe - search for "wendysig" to contact her directly.  She had a great outcome and is just barely a week post surgery right now.

Also check out Dr. Selesnick - I beleive he is Weil Cornell Columbia Presbyterian. 

I sent a CD with my MRI films to House and had a free phone consultation with them, which was extremely helpful.  I also met with Dr. Benitez and Kwartzler at Overlook Hospital. 

Main thing to remember is that you need to find a treatment option that you are comfortable with, and  a treatment team that you are comfortable with.  AN's are usually slow growing, so you have some time.

If you want to chat on the phone, just send me a PM and I'll send my phone number.

Good Wishes!

Debbi, from New Jersey
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

stevek

Hey Bobbibl,

I had a 4cm right side AN removed on 6/9/08 @ Allegheny General in Pittsburgh.  Being recently diagnosed I understand you are freaked out and have a ton of questions.  4 cm is considered LARGE.  Translab is probably what most or all Dr.'s will recommend.  When a tumor reaches that size, the main goal for both yourself and your surgeons is survival.  With the Translab approach, it gives the surgeon the best possible angle.  I'm not going to sugarcoat this for you-you will lose 100% of hearing on your AN side.  Check out my profile for my email if you would like to get a hold of me.  I have no prob lending my Good Ear to help you out & answer questions.  As said above, I had it removed 6/9/08 and I will be returning to work the last week of August.  Considering the situation, I had an awesome experience with the surgeon's and facility I chose.

Take a step back, deep breath, and listen to the folks on this forum.  They have a wealth of knowledge to share.  You are already a step ahead of me.  I didn't start reading this forum until post-op.  I wish you the best & please do not hesitate to email me.
Diagnosed 5/14/08   4cmx2.8cmx3.1cm
16 hr. Translab 6/9/08
Spinal Fluid Leak 6/12, under control & released 6/16
Dr. Hillman, Dr.Chen, & Dr. Aziz @ Allegheny General in Pitt.
2cm regrowth treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery & released 6/8/11
Dr. Fuhrer, Dr. Chen, & Dr. Hillman @ AGH

lori67

Hi Bobbibl.

I'm beginning to think they should change NJ's motto from "The Garden State" to the "AN State".  Seems to be a lot of us from the NJ/NY area around here.   :D

The bright side of that is that there a plenty of folks who have had surgery recently in your area (I'm from NJ but living in Nashville for the moment, so can't help you with any local dr's.) and can give you some feedback.  This is a great place to get info that you can't get from the doctor.

Good luck with your research and keep us posted.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Bobbibl

If I ended up having the translab approach performed, would I be eligable for either cros or baha hearing aids?
4cm AN removed 9/23/08 at Columbia-Presbryterian in NYC by Dr. Michael Sisti with Retrosig approach.  No facial/muscle/balance issues just SSD on left side.

lori67

I don't know much about the cros, but I know you would be able to get a BAHA ( assuming there are no other medical reasons you couldn't get one).  Sometimes they do the implant for the BAHA at the same time as your AN surgery. 

This is another thing you'd want to discuss with any potential surgeons.  What's one more questions, right?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

stevek

I would not be able to give you info on those devices.  I wish I could.  My team & I never discussed them.  However I am sure plenty of folks on this forum could.  You may want to post that question in a different topic, maybe under Hearing Issues.  I can tell you that having Single Sided Deafness is not as bad as it sounds(obviously no pun or joke intended).  It just takes a few weeks to get used to.  Immediately after surgery it is very difficult, of course, because you have lived your entire life with both sides working.  Sorry I could not help you with that question.
Diagnosed 5/14/08   4cmx2.8cmx3.1cm
16 hr. Translab 6/9/08
Spinal Fluid Leak 6/12, under control & released 6/16
Dr. Hillman, Dr.Chen, & Dr. Aziz @ Allegheny General in Pitt.
2cm regrowth treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery & released 6/8/11
Dr. Fuhrer, Dr. Chen, & Dr. Hillman @ AGH

bunny

Bobbibl,

Sorry to hear that you have a 4 cm AN.  I know how panic you are.  I just been told that I have a 2 cm AN.  And I am also having the question on where should i go for surgery. 

Hruss,

you mentioned that you are from Europe, that means you don't have the state insurance to cover your surgery cost.  So, how much do you have to pay at time you did your surgery at house.  Because I am in a similar situation here, I may not have insurance couverage.  Many people suggested that House is a good center to do this kind of surgery, but I am not sure whether there is any way i could afford it.  So, hruss, do you have an idea on how much they will charge for a foreigner patient?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:35:46 pm by bunny »

jerseygirl

Hi,

I was also diagnosed at 24 with a huge AN, so I understand how shocking this must be to you! I also had a perfect hearing in the affected ear. Like SteveK said, when the tumor is this large, the main goal is survival. I would also like to add that a very close second goal is preservation of your quality of life, including your facial nerve. In  20 years time between my original tumor and its regrowth, I can tell you that neurosurgeons made a remarkable progress in preserving a patient's quality of life and the facial nerve. Hearing nerve can now be saved for small tumors ( approximately less than 1 cm ) about half of the time. It is obviously also progress but unfortunately not as rapid. Another option is tumor debulking during surgery followed by radiation of the rest. This potentially allows for hearing preservation even in large tumors but the question remains of what radiation will do over a long term (20+ years) in such a young person. There are many differing opinions on the matter.

NY has many great and experienced neurosurgeons, so you are very lucky. Another place NJ Aners (Lori has a great idea of renaming NJ as AN state!) go to is California. House Ear Clinic (HEI) is one famous place  and they also provide free phone consultations. SBI is expensive but they provide endoscopic version and they also can deal with big tumors.

No matter who will do your surgery, make sure you have complete confidence in your surgeon and also ask for references of people who had the same size tumor as you and had a great outcome in that surgeon's hands. Small tumors do not count for you. Medicine is so advanced nowadays that any big city has an experienced neurosurgeon who can remove a small tumor without any consequences and preserve one's hearing. The bigger the tumor, the trickier it gets. Experience matters! The rest of your life can be on the line, so ask questions and ask for references of the similar situation to yours!

Eve 
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

JerseyGirl2

Hi, Bobbibl,

I am also a New Jersey resident and had AN surgery (translab) at House in Los Angeles this past January. There are certainly many qualified surgeons in the New York area if you wish to stay local. My local otolaryngologist (in Monmouth County) had some training at House a number of years ago and recommended them highly ... this influenced my decision, but as many other posters will attest, good outcomes are not exclusive to House. My AN was considerably smaller than yours (but had already zapped most of my hearing -- hence the translab) and I was one of the fortunate patients for whom fatigue was absolutely the only post-surgery problem experienced. At 6 months post-surgery I felt almost totally "back to normal." I had the BAHA implant at the same time as my surgery and have been pleased with the results. Best wishes to you as you consider your options and undergo treatment!

JerseyGirl 2
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

marymomof3

Hi Bobbibl - Sorry that you had the need to find this forum.... but the support you'll get here is tremendous.  Welcome.
I live in NY, and recently had surgery with Drs. Roland and Golfinos at NYU.  As Debbi mentioned earlier, Dr. Golfinos also does Gammaknife there, so I felt like I got an objective opinion about my treatment options from him. 

There are several surgeons in NY that you might want to speak with - Dr. Selesnick is at Weill Cornell, and Dr. Post is at Mt Sinai.
Feel free to contact me if you want to chat.
Mary
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!