Author Topic: This Week 8/3 In the Ever Capricious AN World  (Read 15780 times)

cindyj

Re: This Week 8/3 In the Ever Capricious AN World
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 05:37:10 pm »
David, glad your MRI results were positive, or were they negative?  At any rate, good news that there appears to be nothing there that shouldn't be.  Know it was great to meet some fellow AN'ers.  I had such a great time meeting Phyl (& hubbie) and Bruce when she was down here.  Glad you were able to see Kathleen and report that she looked good - I was wondering about her today as I hadn't seen a recent update.

Jackie, sure hope they can give you an answer on your situation sooner rather than later.  You know we will be thinking of you.  Keep us posted.

Sure I've missed something/someone???  I am really having a hard time keeping up w/ everything and everyone around here lately.  Think I need to start some sort of flow chart or log book or family tree...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jackie

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 05:51:29 pm »
Hi Cheryl R, Debbie, Jan and Gang,

You might say I was really bumbed about finding out about the Aneurysm. Now I have three things in my brain! What ever happened to 2 is company 3 is a crowd?? Well, I am in the process of researching the Aneurysm, it is 7MM in the middle of my head. Not sure what the course of action is, the scary thing is, that the course of action could casue the problem that they would be trying to alleviate, ie, stroke, bleeding, death. You know at 61(Birthday is next monday) I am not having any fun! I so admire all of you uplifting positive wonderful people, and used to be just like you! I really want o be again, if all of these downers would quit getting heaped on me!

I remember my very first post to this forum was"When does the crying stop?" I am still waitng?? First an Acoustic neuroma, then a meningioma now an aneurysm and in the course of a year and a half! My cup runneth over!!! During all of this I lost my Mother, who was my best girlfriend! So like all of you I am ready for the good times to roll! Sorry for the venting!!! I know alot of you can relate!

Jackie

9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 05:56:05 pm »
Jackie -

IMO with all the things you've been through, if all you are saying is that you're "bummed", your attitude is very positive and also commendable (Jim Scott word)  ;)

Keep the faith and hang in there.  I'm confident there is a light at the end of your tunnel.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 06:28:02 pm »
Wow, Jackie.  I am really sorry to hear about all that is going on -- and on top of everything -- losing your mom.  I can only echo what Jan said, with your positive attitude I would never have guessed that you were dealing with all that.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  And of course, an early happy birthday -- you're out a head of me by 7 months.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Tamara

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 07:03:10 pm »
Jackie - please let us know what your course of action will be, if any.  You are in my prayers.  I have thought to myself lately that at least we all probably won't be surprised by any "brain things" with all the MRIs we'll be getting the rest of our lives.  Maybe without the MRI, you might not have known about it until it was a huge problem....it is probably better to know about it now, if that makes you feel any better.

David, glad you're in the clear at this point, and also glad you've retained your soul.  Good stuff.
   Also, you asked how I'm doing...mostly good.  Balance and all the vestibular stuff is fine - I only notice abnormalities rarely.  I actually went on a spinning ride on Sunday, and felt fine (it was a pretty slow, "wimpy" ride, but still!) My biggest problem is still the lack of tears in my AN eye, which is a pain in the, well, eye!  My face is s..l..o..w..l..y coming back, I think.  I'm managing a Mona Lisa smile, but that's about it.  As long as I don't talk, or eat, or smile, I look relatively normal. 

I'll try to keep track of everyone, but I know I'll miss some somewhere..

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

LADavid

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 07:43:46 pm »
Hey Tammy
I do know -- if I don't talk or eat or smile, I look relatively normal.  As far as the eye is concerned, my eye started to get better about three or four months.  I still use Systane occasioanlly but it is nothing like that gooped up mess last winter.  BTW, something that helped me -- a suggestion from my opthomalogist -- take a very thin piece of clear tape and run it along your lower eye-lid then pull it up in the outside corner pulling the lower lid closer to the top.  It helped me.  And I seriously doubt that I could handle even a wimpy slow spinning ride even at this point -- so it sounds like your on the recovery trail.  Keep it up!

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

sgerrard

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 08:26:50 pm »
Hey Tammy
 if I don't talk or eat or smile, I look relatively normal.

If I don't talk or eat or smile, I look pretty grumpy.   ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 02:10:35 pm »
Jackie:

I was so sorry to learn of your just-discovered brain aneurysm.  Your forbearance and emotional stability has surely been tested recently.  The fact that you're not mired in bitterness or self-pity is a testament to your inherent strength of character.  I'm sure you would rather not have these problems (duh!) and the attendant stress they bring but the fact that you've come through the AN and the meningioma episodes without giving in to despair is admirable and bodes well for your emotional stability as you deal with the aneurysm.

Jackie, if anyone has earned the right to vent, its you.  Don't apologize.  Many folks are praying for you.  You're not alone.  I hope and pray that soon, the 'crying will stop' and you'll see better days.     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 11:22:04 pm »
Now I have three things in my brain!

Hi Jackie,

My sympathies to a fellow Portland ANA member. Well at least they are all small things. Now that you have a balanced set, your brain's feng shui should be in good harmony.

I really have no idea of what the aneurysm has in store for you, or if 7mm is even considered small or not. It sounds like it will probably be the first thing to get addressed. Know that we are all here to support you and help in any way we can.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jackie

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2008, 01:37:11 am »
Hello Jim and Steve,

Thank-you for the kind words. I really wish I was of strong character, but I am not really! I guess I put up a good front at times! My mission is to find out all I can about an aneurysm and whether or not Dr.'s Brackmann and Dr. Chang will assess my total situation now that we have 3 different growths taking place. Wow, I was really bumbed about the first two, but this aneurysm is really scary. Sure doesn't make me anxious to have the next  MRI in 6 months because i just can't take anymore surprises!  Modern technology has gotten too good!

Wishing all of the surgical patients speedy recoveries, and I'll keep you all in my prayers!!! Thanks to all of you for your continued and much appreciated support!!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2008, 11:33:09 am »
Jackie,

Take care of yourself and know there are lots of us on this forum praying for you.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2008, 12:22:09 pm »
Jackie, I'm so sorry you are having to go through this.  I'm wishing you all good things, hang in there, your journey is just longer but you'll still get there.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

LADavid

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2008, 07:38:21 pm »
I got the results of my MRI back.  It was clean.  So I guess the only logical explanation for the wonky-head-disorietation-balance mess I've been dealing with is that my brain didn't like being messed with and is throwing a tantrum.  Either that or I am being poisoned by the AN witch.  I can think of no other reason.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

cindyj

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2008, 07:55:24 pm »
Glad to hear your clear, David...tantrum explanation sounds reasonable to me.  Hope it calms itself down soon.

Jackie, how are you doing?
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings