Author Topic: Is Tinnitus Forever?  (Read 17939 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Is Tinnitus Forever?
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:18:12 am »
I have just recently started having tinnitus in my AN ear.  It is constant.  Sometimes it is worse that others.  When I am in a noisy environment it usually isn't a problem.  However, when I am alone in a quiet environment, especially at bed time, it is louder and annoying.  Do you ever get a break from it?  Or is it a case of once it has started it will never go away?  Just curious how tinnitus affects your life.  I can tolerate it for now--just hope it doesn't get louder.  It sounds like cricket in my ear.  Maybe I should give him/her a name!

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Is Tinnitus Forever?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 02:00:02 pm »
Nancy:

To the best of my non-physicians knowledge, tinnitus is a permanent condition, although there are myriad treatments and 'cures' available with varying effectiveness, including none at all.  Unless it is debilitating, most tinnitus sufferers (including this one) learn to live with it.  I wish I could offer you more encouraging news but unless there is something I've missed, this is the discordant reality of tinnitus.   :(

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:27:28 pm »
Jim, My husband has tinnitus (every day I assume), and he said he has gotten used to it.  I only have it in one ear.  Is that usual for ANers?  Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have it in both, but I am not wishing for it by any means!  I have heard some people here say that the sounds change.  One woman said hers sounded like a violin, and she was disappointed when that one was replaced with a really annoying sound.  Mine is still a "cricket".  I've heard about those treatments for tinnitus, and I hope I don't have to go in that direction one day.  I am really amazed that the tinnitus just came on so suddenly--out of nowhere.  Thanks for your reply.

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:45:40 pm »
Tinnitus has been with me since day one post op.  It is only unbearable when I admit it to be so.  It is here to stay, I believe.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:27:07 pm »
Yes, the tinnitus stinks, but I guess it could be a lot worse.  I'm ready for the violin.  The cricket is getting old.  At least I'm not hearing voices, yet!!!

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 10:22:55 pm »
i had tinnitus for the longest time ever (before my surgery)  and after surgery, i still have tinnitus in my deaf ear - go figure!!  i have learned to live with it and don't really pay attention to it anymore.
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Nancy Drew

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:30:08 pm »
I guess from what I am reading acceptance is key in dealing with a lot of the AN issues.  I'm getting there!  Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 11:58:10 pm »
I guess from what I am reading acceptance is key in dealing with a lot of the AN issues.  I'm getting there!

So does that mean you are starting to accept that acceptance is key? Are you ready to accept that accepting that acceptance is key is key?  ;D

Steve
(crickets forever)
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

tony

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 06:12:25 am »
The noises  thing is there and for real - and in one sense, forever
However its not really a "sound" you are hearing
in some way is is a reflection of nerve activity expressed as noise
- when some us close our eyes, the "noise" changes
Its also alot to do with the bloodsteam/nerve activity at any one time
So things like caffine/sugar even gen fatigue do seem to alter
the amount and strength of the noises
Its worth to experiment with diet/fluid/sugar levels and rest !
to moderate the effects ?
Best Regards
Tony

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 07:25:33 am »
Nancy,

I have had tinnitus since I was a child of five after I accidentally was hit in the head with a baseball bat in a sandlot game. When I kept telling my parents that I heard this high pitched ringing noise they took me to the family "quack". He looked into my ears and said "Nothing there. You are fine. It is all in your head." Yes Dr. Quack it IS in my head! Geez! So as a five year old until now (53), I have learned to live with it. Sorry to vent a little in your post but looking back, it just P*** me off.
Unfortunately the AN surgery mad it a little worse and new "cricket-like" sounds. At least it is a little different.  ::) ;D
Just try to ignore it. The more you think and focus on it, the worse it controls you. Don't let it! Ignore the little tinnitus beeotch!  :P
Can I say that or do I need to be sensored?  :D
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

Mickey

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 07:44:05 am »
As I`ve said in previous posts have tinnitus for 30 years. I have tried everything to help and presently doing Neuromonics which has seemed to subdue the noise somewhat. It just becomes part of you and you get used to it. No harm to try and find something to relieve it.  This was may main symptom all these years I guess for an AN which I finally found out about a year ago? Good Luck Mickey

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 08:49:32 am »
Hi Nancy,

My tinnitus and hearing loss ocurred suddenly after sneezing one time. Before surgery, my tinnitus had many forms/sound. Since my surgery on June 16 it has changed. It hasn't gone away and I feel that I need to get used to it all over again. What I have now are just the crickets--a bunch of them chirping far away.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 11:06:13 am »
Hi everyone,

Interesting that there are a lot of "crickets" in the ears.  Steve, I love your play on words.  They make me think, and they also give me a laugh, and I can use every laugh I can get.  I think I am getting to the acceptance stage.  Of course, I haven't had my treatment yet, and I know that with radiation I won't get rid of the tumor.  I will have to keep a close watch on it, and it is always possible that more symptoms will show up.  Acceptance is KEY, and it applies not only to the AN, but also to so many other things that come up in life.  On a side note, since my husband has nonAN tinnitus, we can at least have a common bond with our tinnitus!.  I'm gonna be OK.  Thanks for your support.  Chirp, Chirp.

Nancy 
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Esperanza

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 11:37:57 am »
It's strange because my mother has suffered with tinnitus for a number of years (diabetes and thyroid problems) and I remember having a conversation with my sister where we said it must be awful to have to live with a noise in your head all the time!  I used to so love silence and now here I am, also with the crickets and the hissy wooshiness!  I do ignore it and get on with my life day to day but I notice that when it is worse my balance is a little 'off', get earache/pain and my face can feel  a bit strange.   My otolo. guy continues to insist tinnitus is nothing to do with the AN???
I am still in wait and watch though so do wonder if the AN has 'moments' due to blood flow?  Can't see any pattern to it (diet, tirednes, etc.).
There is so little they seem to know about tinnitus but how can they say it's nothing to do with the AN pre-treatment??
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Sefra22

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 11:38:24 am »
It's funny, but I barely notice my tinnitus until I start thinking about it. :D In fact, just reading this thread caused it to act up! Usually though, I only have one or two episodes a day that last only a couple of minutes.
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009