Author Topic: Last Lecture-Diane Sawyer...............My eye tears more than I thought!  (Read 2512 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

WHOA. I had never heard of this guy until someone on this site talked about him then I watched the special last night. I cried the entire show and was still crying after the show ended 30 minutes later. He was amazing and his wife was even more amazing. I found myself feeling less sorry for myself and realizing that I owe it to those around me to be strong and hopeful. His wife said something that really hit home......When asked about the diagnosis and fate of her dying husband she said......"I don't like it but I accept it." It seems like once we accept what life has dealt us that it is easier to cope. It doesn't mean that we have to lose hope but to accept what has happened and figure out how we are going to let it affect our everyday lives. I held my small children close last night and gave them the biggest kiss ever. I feel like this paralysis thing has consumed my life this past year and I don't want my kids to remember me someday as a sad, withdrawn mother who hated her life. This man changed my life in one quick episode....I can't imagine the lives he changed over the years. I will read his book for sure.
Angie-crookedsmile......don't like it...will accept it.

Meagan

• Picture
I saw him in Oprah months ago and made my husband listen to teh oprah version (only 10 mins and the only amount of time my husband and i can sit still for) and it was mindblowing....we think this is the worst thing in the world but am alive to experience it.  he is so moving and he is how we should think about things.....

so wahoo to him and his message....he gave an excellent lecture and touched so many people
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Randy Pausch was an extraordinary man in many ways.  A brilliant professor, a terrific husband, devoted father and an inspiration to millions via his filmed 'last lecture' at Carnegie-Mellon university and the best-selling book that followed, along with his frequent TV appearances.  Pausch's responsible, realistic view of his impending death and his equally responsible determination not to waste what time he had left on bitterness, anger or sadness is a lesson to us all, no matter what our situation.  He tried to defeat his pancreatic cancer with every available treatment, including surgery and chemotherapy, but ultimately all his efforts failed.  So, instead of desperately clinging to life by chasing 'cures' or allowing himself to give in to depression or anger, Randy Pausch decided to appreciate what he had, while he had it.  He smiled and laughed a lot.  Not to hide his pain but to enjoy the parts of his life cancer couldn't touch; his love for his wife and children and his zest for life, something that Randy Pausch refused to allow his terminal illness to take from him. 

It's become a cliché to say that it isn't what happens to you but how you deal with it that matters - but that cliché happens to be true.  Randy Pausch proved it.  He faced a terminal illness with honesty and what we like to call 'a good attitude'.  He enjoyed his life; his wife, his kids, his profession.  He continued to enjoy these things that really matter even after his cancer diagnosis, unpleasant treatments and, in his last few months, the weakening of his body that must have frustrated him.  Randy Pausch may have lost his battle with cancer but he won the fight to make his life meaningful to himself, his family and to millions who have been inspired by him.

AN patients may not face imminent death but they often have to fight difficult, life-altering physical problems.  Many become frustrated, angry and even depressed.  I'm sure that Randy Pausch would be very pleased to know he's given some of us the ability to change our attitude and appreciate what we have, not what we've lost.  To enjoy our lives, not resent them because we don't have exactly what we may think we somehow deserve, even if that is just the ability to smile widely or close an eye.

Randy Pausch is gone now.  His fight with cancer is over, but yet, I think, in the final analysis, he won. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.