Author Topic: Translab or retrosig at Georgetown?  (Read 3609 times)

pswift00

Translab or retrosig at Georgetown?
« on: July 02, 2008, 07:05:40 am »
Has anyone on this site had translab or retrosig surgery at Georgetown?  With Dr. Jean?  I know some of you have had cyberknife treatment there, but I'm specifically interested in speaking to someone who's had microsurgery there.  Thanks.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Translab or retrosig at Georgetown?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 07:25:13 am »
ps -

I found this link about Dr. Gagnon from Georgetown, but there is some information about Dr. Jean in it  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6371.msg60928#msg60928

If nothing else, you could contact goinbatty about her consultation with him.  There might also be more information in the links on Phyl's post.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pswift00

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 08:03:53 am »
Thanks, but those folks had CK.  I'm looking to speak with someone who had microsurgery at Georgetown.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:35:41 pm »
ps -

I thought that perhaps some of these members had investigated surgical options, as well as radiation, and could therefore give you some pointers.

I also thought it was possible that some of the docs they saw do surgery as well as radiation.  Some - like my doc - do.

Sorry if this was a dead end  :P

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pswift00

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 08:24:55 am »
I thought I would pass along some information I received this weekend from a woman who had translab surgery at Georgetown U. Hospital with Drs. Jean and Kim-

I asked Dr. Kim if I could speak with one of his former patients who had translab surgery, and yesterday morning I received a call from a 31 year old woman who had surgery there two years ago.  At the time, she had been complaining of dryness in her right eye, and after a series of diagnostics, an MRI turned up a nearly 5 centimeter acoustic neuroma.  She was immediately admitted into their NICU, and a week later had the tumor removed via two surgeries within the span of three days.  She said she experienced some CSF leakage within the first few days, which was fixed, but otherwise came through the surgery with flying colors.  She had some facial weakness for only about eight weeks.  She stated the doctors left some of the tumor behind on the facial nerve in order to preserve nerve function, and is still in an observation mode, getting an MRI once every 9 months at this point.  Dr. Kim has recommended that she have radiosurgery to destroy the remainder of the schwannoma, but since it hasn't regrown yet, she still hasn't commited to it.  She said she's nearly 100% now, two years later, and doesn't suffer from headaches or any other side effects.  In fact, she said the only time she ever thinks about her tumor is when she goes for her MRI.  Truly an unbelievable and inspiring story.

kesslerma

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:54:36 am »
Hello,

I was just diagnosed with a 3.2cm acoustic neuroma...the docs at Walter Reed recommend the Retrosigmoid procedure.
I will be seeing Walter Jean at Georgetown for a 2nd option.

Do you have any other docs in the DC area that specialize in this?  John Hopkins?  I just spoke with someone from ANA who recommends my surgeon does 30 per year?  Is that number correct?

Thanks for your time,
Mina

staypoz

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 01:46:06 pm »
Hello kesslerma.  I don't know the magic number, but you will want to see someone who does a significant number of these procedures a year.

The local DC-area ANA support group is meeting September 20th.  You might want to come to talk to members about their experiences with doctors in the greater Washington area.  Folks have been treated at Hopkins, UVA, Suburban, House in LA, in Richmond, and more.  I had retrosigmoid at Hopkins.

Send me a note and I'll give you the particulars about the meeting.   

staypoz

goinbatty

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 07:01:06 pm »
Sorry, I just now saw this one.  I saw Dr. Jean in consult at Georgetown.  I was very impressed with his manner and believe me, I'm very selective about docs in general.  However, this consultation was merely a formality as I had already chosen CK which was done by Dr. Gagnon.  I didn't ask about statistics from Dr. Jean.  I was very impressed with the treatment team in radiation oncology.  My only complaint was that being from out of state, it was a little tough to get questions answered following a 2 months MRI. 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change