Author Topic: Wendy's Surgery Update  (Read 22847 times)

Kaybo

Re: Wendy's Surgery Update
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2008, 07:26:06 pm »
Wendy~
You go girl!!  Whoo-Hoo for you!!  And of course, you should be part of the multiple birth sisters!!!  I guess Lori & I are the TRUE twins since we both have funny looking faces - I bet our parents love us best!!!!  I am 5'7" (& a half) and TRYING to get back into shape again after not being able to work out after theT3.  I did make it to the gym all 4 mornings last week (I don't even attempt to go on Fridays).  I go at 6:30 now b/c there is NO reason for me to go at 5:15 when the girlies aren't in school!  Ok, you don't really care about that but keep up the good work!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2008, 10:53:23 pm »
K -

I bet I could find more than one person who would say I had a funny looking face also  ;D

Debbi -

I forgot to say that I think Wendy should pass your lucky scarf along to others when she's done with it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2008, 08:10:15 am »
Alright, if there's a funny-face club, I should also be a member!

Jan, you are a mind-reader!  Wendy and I discussed that the scarf would be hers to pass on to some other AN patient when the time is right.  Be fun to see where it ends up!

Wendy, hope you get home from the hospital today - I'm keeping fingers crossed!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2008, 09:33:59 am »
Oh, I can't wait for the next MAN to have surgery and receive the official AN scarf!  Now those should be good pictures.

K - I'm sure we are the family favorites.  You know how those older siblings can be - just trouble-makers.    And you can exercise at 5:15 am?  I can't even figure out how to turn off the alarm clock that early.

Wendy is apparently doing quite well if she can not only SEE the blackberry - but also figure out how to use it.  I had a hard enough time trying to work James' laptop after my surgery.  Debbi - didn't you say you needed some blackberry lessons?  I think I found you a teacher.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2008, 11:06:00 am »
Hi all
It seems like my adventure here may not be over. The physical therapist wants me to stay for a few more days. She says my balance issues need intense therapy. Its kind of disappointing since I was all set to go home. That might still happen though if my insurance 0ompany says I can't stay. Steve - you'd better start knitting bunny slippers!  Thanks to all of you, especially my faithfuk press secretary, debbi!  Kathleen, I'm sending you good thoughts and wishes. I"l post again later when I know what's going on

Just waiting to go home
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2008, 11:09:32 am »
Lori~
I use a travel Shake-Awake and you have to open a little cover thing to turn it off - some days I can't it get found under my pillow and turned off!!  Today I got up but it was raining so I went back to bed - then I couldn't go back to sleep AND it stopped raining!  I felt guilty, but then I got up & started to look on line trying to find a Wii Fit for Emee's b-day.  Anybody have any ideas??  How's that for highjacking??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2008, 11:26:00 am »
K - It's not really a total hijacking - Wendy can probably benefit from a Wii fit for her balance problems.   ;)

Wendy - hang in there.  Your balance will get better eventually.  Keep working at it and you'll be outta there in no time.  And always listen to your PT!   ;D

K - Toys R Us had the Wii Fit about 2 weeks ago when I was there.  Have you tried that?  I know Target has been out of them for a while.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2008, 11:37:45 am »
Wendy-

Hang in there!  :-*  Didn't realize your balance was that bad - but hopefully you'll regain it quickly.  Were you noticing any balance problems before surgery?  If not, it may be that your brain is in overdrive right now trying to adjust.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that this goes away FAST!  What does your doc say?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2008, 11:42:40 am »
Lori~
I called Toys'R'Us here and they said that they woud get more in Sunday - they got a shipment last Sunday & there were 50 people there lined up when they opened!!

Wendy~
Hey Sister!  Remember to take it SLOW - there is a reason for everything - even if it is hard to endure (or not what you wnat) at the time!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2008, 12:40:23 pm »
Hi again,
I had some small balance problems. I don,t think the problems I have now are bad. The tp say it will take weeks to get anothet appointment so she wants me to stay

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2008, 12:43:13 pm »
Wendy~
That sounds like good logic to me - that way you can get started on exercises NOW.  I think that was part of my problem - they didn't even put me in ANY kind of rehab for over a month even though I was VERY bad off!!  I think I would have recovered quicker if I had been able to do more SOONER!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2008, 12:43:22 pm »
Wendy -

don't be too disappointed.  You were set to be released in record time and if nothing else, IMO they should keep you a day or two more to make sure everything is okay.  I know you're anxious to get home, but you want to be in the best possible shape when you get there.  Balance issues aren't easy and it's important that the doc is certain you are "good to go" before he lets you go  ;)

K -

have you looked on craigslist?  That's how I sold my trampoline this weekend.  I know you're looking for a fairly new product, but maybe someone bought one that they are less than happy with and they now want to get rid of it.

And, Lori - I rolled over in bed today about 5:15 a.m.  Think I'm ready to exercise with K?

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2008, 12:57:07 pm »
Oh, I can't wait for the next MAN to have surgery and receive the official AN scarf!  Now those should be good pictures.

What, Lori  ???

Are you trying to imply that real men don't wear scarves?  :D

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2008, 01:09:24 pm »
I think Steve should knit them scarves...

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2008, 01:14:35 pm »
Yes, knit scarves.  Steve could use heavy weight yarn for the winter surgeries, and maybe a lighter weight for summer - in pastels.

Wendy - I think you should be glad your surgery is over with - there's no telling what these knit scarves will look like since Steve will be rushing to get them done - along with the hats and slippers.

Lori