Author Topic: Wendy's Surgery Update  (Read 22879 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Wendy's Surgery Update
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2008, 01:07:36 pm »
Wendy -  Congrats on getting out to eat so soon after surgery!  The first few times I went to noisy places, it was SUPER loud too!  I'm much better about it now tho, so it does get better.  I hope that the massage and vestibular therapy work for you!  Keep plugging away!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

lori67

« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2008, 02:09:27 pm »
Debbi - sure I'll send the window washers up.  They are also fond of Lysol wipes to clean anything that stands still long enough - including the dog.

spider poop....maybe you should potty train your spiders.

Is Wendy resting from her trip to the buffet line?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2008, 02:37:44 pm »
Hi all,
Yes I not only rested but went out like a light last night until about 4:30 or so this morning anyway.  My niece and her little boy (three years old) came over to visit today.  He really wore me out.  He's just adorable but has too much energy for me right now.  Thanks to my niece Debbi's magic AN scarf is on its way to Sue, who is having surgery on Wednesday.  I hope it gets there before she leaves for the hospital but her daughter will bring it to her if it doesn't.  UPS wanted $36 for overnight service so I had to settle for two day delivery.  She sent me an e-mail and is really looking forward to receiving it so I hope it brings her all the good fortune our wishes have invested in it.  Thanks to Debbi for coming up with this great idea!   I have written more detail under the topic "The AN magical scarf"

Sue, if you are reading this post my niece put a short note dictated by me since I forgot to send the one I wrote myself.  As I've said, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Last night's outing did seem like one of the small victories we all talk about and when I thought about the woman I almost tripped over it did seem funnier in retrospect (how's that for a big word - count 'em three syllables!).  I didn't get to go out today since my niece came over but will be checking out  physical therapy facilities tomorrow for sure -- my sister promised to drive so there will be no more delays.  My back is feeling a little better this afternoon too, so I have something else to be thankful for.  Ans really do make you count your blessings.  Now, if I can just get the kids to learn how to cook without burning down the house things will be even better -- or maybe I should settle ffor something a littlke easier -- I'll have to give this some more thought.  Any ideas are welcome!
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2008, 02:40:55 pm »
Ha - has anyone ever tried to potty train a spider?????  They can outrun nearly anything...  

Wendy, I personally like pizza as on option (even though I have to cut it into bites, which is totally un-Italian and un- NewJersey).  Easier on the house, too.

I am so glad the Magical Scarf is on it's way to another an-er - let's hope it continues to bring good luck to any head it touches!  And, yes, let's make sure it gets to a guy eventually - good for photo ops...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2008, 02:50:09 pm »
Wendy,
Thanks to you, I went out today with my husband to run errands.  I'm a little self-conscious about my scar but decided to hell with that and so I went.  It felt so NORMAL.
Thanks Wendy,
"all erranded out and need a nap"
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2008, 11:44:49 pm »
Wendy -

I'm with Debbi.  Cooking, hell.  Order pizza!

Lori -

Lysol wipes on a dog  :P  Loved the spider potty training idea, though.  Just where do you come up with this stuff?  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2008, 06:15:28 am »
Hi all,
I decided to let my fingers do the walking one more time regarding physical therapists.  I's amazing how many of them have never heard of vestibular rehabilitation, but then again they didn't know what an acoustic neuroma/vestibular schwannoma was either, so I guess it makes sense.  I finally found three facilities and went to check them out yesterday afternoon.  Two were in hospitals and the other was privately owned.  Not surprisingly, I decided on the privately owned facility.  The hospitals disappointed me again by treating me like an invalid (Ireally hate that) when all I have is a balance problem.  I really liked the owner of the privately owned facility (he will be my PT).  i told him point blank that I'm not an invalid and don't want to be traeted like one.  He agreed and siad he will push me as hard as he can.  I liked that.  I want to get better not be coddled.  My first session is next Tuesday and I am very excited.  I was glad to find that I didn't have to wait very long.  The PTs at Mt. Sinai made it sound like it would be weeks before I would get an appointment the outside.

In the meantime, my backaches continue to plague me.  Has anyone else had this problem?  They are not quite as bad as they were but I find I can't sit or stand for very long without it becomming fairly painful.  Dr. Choe's suggestion about the Chinese massage chairs has helped  short term and gotten me out of the house a couple of times but I am still having considerable pain.  Maybe the PT will help that too.

Hope you are all well,

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2008, 07:38:06 am »
Hi Wendy,

I get the headaches when I'm in one position for too long, such as when I'm asleep in bed. I have to apply heat to my neck and take tylenol, and after 30 mins or so I'm back in bed. The headaches also strike when I strain my neck, such as when I bend over to pick up a pencil from the floor. Dr tells me it's too soon to tell if they'll be temporary or permanent. I guess in 10 years, if I still have the headaches, I can assume they'll be permanent.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

lori67

« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2008, 07:53:17 am »
Wendy,

You're a brave woman asking a PT to push you as hard as he can!   I know when I was still working, if I had a patient say that to me, I'd gladly oblige and then I'd get all the usual PT jokes - like being called a Physical Terrorist or "What does PT stand for?  Pain and Torture". 

I'm shocked that the other places didn't know about vestibular therapy.  They do teach you that in PT school - it's just possible they called it something else - like just balance therapy or something.  Still, they should have known what you were talking about.

Anyway, I'd talk to him about the backaches while you're there.  Could be just a matter of doing some simple stretches to get things back where they need to be and strengthen the correct muscles.  Does walking help?  You get double duty with that - could help the pain and it also helps with balance.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2008, 09:57:58 am »
Thanks Ssyl and Lori -
Yes, I'd say if you sitll have headaches in ten years they're permanent  Syl.  I hope you don't mind my asking but should you be bending over yet?  How long has it been since your surgery, I've lost track.  I know it's almost impossible not to bend, I've stopped myself midway about a million times, or that's how it seems.  Hope your headaches go away sooner than later.

Lori,  Thanks for making me laugh, as always.  I did plan to tell the PT about my backaches next week because I thought he might be able to help.  I know I'm probably asking to be tortured by saying I want him to push me but although I preach patience it is not a virtue I find easy.  I want to get better ASAP.  In the meantime I had a scare this morning.  While I was cooking breakfast (I thought the girls deserved a treat so I made pancakes) I felt something running down my neck.  I have a bloody discharge (sorry if this is too graphic) coming from my incusion.  My nex- door neighbor is a nurse and luckily was home.  She said I have a tiny (she said one cm but I thiink maybe she meant 1 mm) opening at the bottom of my inciision.  I am leaving to see Dr. Choe in a few minutes, just waiting for Rob to get home.  Hopefully this will turn out to be nothing more than one of the bumps people often run into along the road to recovery.  I was feeling a little panicked but between writing to you and knowing I'll be seeing Dr. Choe soon, I've calmed down.  I'll  keep you posted.

Hoping for good news from Dr. Choe,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2008, 10:33:15 am »
Wendy - I'm glad that you are consulting your doctor about the incision.  Perhaps it wasn't healed all the way before they took the sutures / staples out and something made it "pop open" a little?  Regardless, you need to have it looked at by your doctor..that's good that you are doing that.  I never had severe back pain, so I can't help much there.  I do know that the less it's being used, the longer it will hurt.  So, perhaps 'stretching it out' will help.  Tylenol or something like that may help you to do that.  PT, as well, should help.   You are doing the right things.

Syl - About headaches.  I had a few post-surgery but they were primarily having to do with the CSF build up under my skin near the incision (which is still there but going down slowly btw).  When I was having the reaction to the diamox I was on, they were much worse and lasted longer.  Your body is still healing from the surgery, so I wouldn't be concerned at this point that they are permanent, but I would keep an eye on them for sure.  Also, if you have any swelling near the incision, maybe talk to the doctor about the possibility of CSF build-up that is causing the headaches and potentially going on something like diamox to relive the swelling.  Just my $0.02.. take it for what it's worth.  ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2008, 10:58:10 am »
Wendy: My surgery was 7 wks ago. Since I was never prohibited from bending over, I do it when I need to. But it is getting easier on my neck. It doesn't strain so easily anymore so the headaches causes by the strain of movement are diminishing in frequency. It's the ones that wake me up at 3 or 4 am that occurr regularly.

Pooter: Thanks for your $0.02. I don't notice any swelling near the incision, so I don't think that's the cause of the headaches. They tend to start at the center of the back of my neck, away from the incision.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2008, 01:16:30 pm »
EEK - Wendy, what did the doctor say????

I started feeling panicky the minute I read your post - it reminded me of when we discovered my incision leaking at 10 one night.  I am keeping everything crossed that it is not an infection, CSF leak or anyting else that would slow you down.  Please let me know what they say, okay.

Debbi, everything crossed
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2008, 02:49:46 pm »
Wendy:

O.K.  You scared a lot of us with your account of the incision leak.  I trust it wasn't serious but inquiring minds want to know for sure.  Please tell us.  We care.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2008, 05:10:40 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks for the advice on backaches  I guess stretching is not bending so I've started doing that.  Hopefully that will help.  Thankfully, Dr. Choe said the drainage is just some viscoius fluid and  shows no sign of infection and is not a CSF leak.  Just to be on the safe side I am on a ten day course of Cephalexin, an antibiotic for bacterial infections.  As I hoped, this appears not to be anything to worry about.  Thank goodness for small favors.  Once this is over I hope not to need so much as an aspirin for a while.  I hate taking pills but will do what I must.  Right now I feel incredibly lucky again like I dodged somethng worse.  It must be the after effects of the lucky AN scarf!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!