Author Topic: Doctors in Cleveland area, Ohio?  (Read 5049 times)

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
Doctors in Cleveland area, Ohio?
« on: July 24, 2008, 01:32:39 pm »
hey all,

i just would like to brainstorm you quickly and ask if anyone has heard or has had an experience with doctors from Cleveland area, Ohio?

thank you

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Doctors in Cleveland area, Ohio?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:36:50 pm »
Hrissy -

Pembo, Ceci (CMRochester) and Marci all had surgery at University Hospital in Cleveland.  DaughterMeg's mom had surgery there, too.  There are probably others, but they are the members that I can think of off the top of my head.

There are also others who had surgeries in other parts of Ohio like oHIo, Mama R (aka Ohio Also), sabuck, and probably more.

You might want to PM one of them.  Marci, she just had her surgery 2 days ago and is on her way home, so it might be a few days before she responds.

Jan
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:14:05 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Melissa778

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 07:01:10 am »
I did not have my surgery in Cleveland, but I did go for a consult at Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Lee.  I ended up goign with a Doc in Southeast, MI (I'm from Toledo)  and he was wonderful.  If you'd like for info on Dr. Lee PM me.  I know that oHIo and OhioAlso were both at the Univ Med Ctr in Cinci I believe.....and I've heard the docs there are great.  I had a phone consult with Dr. Pensak, but my insurance would not cover me to go for my surgery there.  Best of luck in your search.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Patch

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:16:28 pm »
  Hi HRUSS,

I live in Delaware oh but grew up in Elyria. When I was told I had a AN, I wanted to return to Cleveland to have it taken care of. When I went to my Neurologist Columbus, I read he BIO, it she trained and taught at the Cleveland Clinic. So I stuck with her and listen to her dvise and got treated at Riverside Hospital. Its nothing like getting te help from your home town area.

I have friends that work at the Cleveland Clinic and they is great
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 07:25:35 am »
I had my surgery with Dr Megerian at University Hospitals Cleveland. Ask any questions.........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 03:20:24 pm »
thank you all for you replies!

Pembo i sent you a personal message, thank you for your readiness!

Best wishes,
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 08:14:29 am »
Sorry to respond late to you.  Like Pembo, my surgery was done at UH in Cleveland--we shared one doctor, Dr. Megerian, but had different neurosurgeons.  They were outstanding and have a ton of experience with skull based tumors like AN's. I would not hesitate in recommending them. My neurosurgeon was Dr. Bambakidis, a relatively young guy who trained with Dr. Selman at UH then went to Barrows, which I think is a top-notch neurology institute. He's now back at UH and is amazing. Dr. Megerian is also just terrific.
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

NW

• 9mmx8mmx10mm Surgery Oct.17,2007
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 09:10:08 am »
Hi , I had a consult at the Cleveland Clinic witha Dr. Webber. I ended up going to Ohio State University Medical Center with Dr. Brad Welling. I was very comfortable with him & his Neurosurgeon Dr. Chiocca. Both are heads of their departments. Couldn't have asked for better care & treatment in the world! Any questions feel free to ask!!

Nancy

CMRochester

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 06:30:55 pm »
Hrissy,
I went to Dr. Megerian and Dr. Selman at University Hospital.  They are wonderful.  They are very experienced in this type of surgery; they have done over 100 such surgeries in the past year.

I had a 3cm AN on my right side.   I was diagnosed in January and spent the next two months consulting with doctors (10) in Rochester, NY as well as Cincinnati and Cleveland (I have familly in Cincinnti and Cleveland).  I also spent many hours on the internet and looking through this site.  The ANA is a wonderful source of information.

I was not at all impressed with Dr. Lee at Cleveland Clinic, but did like Drs. Weber and Suh,who are also at the Clinic.  I was very impressed with Drs. Pensak and Theo in Cincinnati, as well.   The doctors I conslted with in Rochester have not done as many of these surgeries as the doctors in Cincinnati and Cleveland.  I chose Drs. Megerian and Selman, not only because they were both so very personable, but because of the number of surgeries they have performed.  Everyone I spoke with, and everything I read, said that numbers were important.

My surgery was on May 13th and I have had no problems other than some balance issues.  I have been going to physical therapy to strengthen my upper legs (I had total hip replacement in January of 2007) and to work on my balance - and it is coming along amazingly well.

I would strongly recommend that you consult with Drs. Megerian and Selman, if you can.  They were very accomodating for me in that they tried to schedule my appointments on the same day - since I am traveling from Rochester, NY.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss any further.

Ceci (I am "daughterMeg's mom, that leapyertwins referred to in her July 24th post)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 07:39:58 pm »
Yes, those docs are amazing.  I loved them and they took good care of me.  Dr. Selman  was in a cast and couldn't operate--but Dr. Bambakidis did and he was just terrific.  I have nothing but good things to say about UH so I'm a little biased.  I'm alive, with minimal complications.  They preserved most of my hearing and my facial nerve.  Megerian especially is good with follow-up.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

stevek

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 09:56:26 pm »
Ceci, I too am out of Rochester, and also was not comfortable with their #'s of surgeries per year.  Dr. Dutcher found ny AN.  My family & I decided on Dr. Hillman and his awesome team at Allegheny General in Pitt.  I can't tell you how grateful we are for those folks.  Anyway, Hrissy, trust your gut.  I wish you the best.

stevek
Diagnosed 5/14/08   4cmx2.8cmx3.1cm
16 hr. Translab 6/9/08
Spinal Fluid Leak 6/12, under control & released 6/16
Dr. Hillman, Dr.Chen, & Dr. Aziz @ Allegheny General in Pitt.
2cm regrowth treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery & released 6/8/11
Dr. Fuhrer, Dr. Chen, & Dr. Hillman @ AGH

Pembo

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 09:08:48 am »
It is refreshing to read about Dr M here on the boards. For quite awhile I was the only person here that had my surgery with him. I can never say enough and he is accomodating and can be almost too thorough on follow-up. My husband used to tease we had to go see him because he missed us.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

mwman

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 02:46:29 pm »
I too, went to Dr. Megerian and Dr. Selman at University Hospital. They were fantastic. My 12 hour surgery was 2 and 1/2 years ago. They were wonderful to myself and my family.
2.5  cm translab Dec 2005
University Hospital Case Western Reserve Cleveland
Dr Megerian and Dr Selman

auntsherry

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 02:29:30 pm »
My surgery was done at University Hospital in 08/07 - 4.5cm AN, left side.
Surgeons were:  Magerian & Selman - excellent doctors !

aunt sherry