Author Topic: BAHA Care Question  (Read 2702 times)

Catflower

BAHA Care Question
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:26:47 am »
How often do you microwave your jar of beads?  This must sound absolutely crazy to non-BAHA users ;)

Linda

JerseyGirl2

Re: BAHA Care Question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 04:55:49 pm »
I've only had my BAHA (and the jar of beads!) for about six weeks now, so have not had to microwave yet. The jar has been in airconditioning just about all of this time, so the humidity has been relatively low. Per the label on the jar, each activation lasts between three and four months, so I've got a ways to go. That being said, it seems to me that some of the beads have already turned from blue to beige. I liked your comment about how crazy this question must sound to non-BAHAers -- a few months ago I never would have believed I would be microwaving beads !
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:17:47 pm »
How often do you microwave your jar of beads?  This must sound absolutely crazy to non-BAHA users ;)

Oh no, it doesn't sound crazy at all, Linda. Practically everyone has a jar of beads which they microwave from time to time.
Now the nice man in the white coat would like you to go for a little walk with him, okay?

Steve  ;)
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Catflower

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 05:33:31 pm »
Steve:  I worked for 22 years in one of those places with the men in the white coats.  Now, they're comming for me. :D

Linda

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:51:20 pm »
Linda -

as you know I'm a new user also, so I haven't used my jar of beads yet.

I've been at the beach for the last few days and haven't been wearing my processor and I haven't worn it much in humidity either.

There are instructions with the beads though and the audiologist told me that once the blue beads turn biege it's time to microwave them.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:00:07 am »
I have NEVER cooked it ...  :o .. but I am carefull about wear ... never in the rain or foggy day... gave an pill bottle stuffed with a one of these " ** no not eat **"  pack of beads that from my TiVo package (or something like that) .. to keep my BAHA dry if I need to take it off in the rain or whatever... and also have my name and phone on the bottle if lost !!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital