Author Topic: Waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning  (Read 2629 times)

Patch

Waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning
« on: July 12, 2008, 05:47:15 pm »
       Has anyone experienced the problem of waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning most nights with their heart racing or pounding. I never noticed this until getting my an treated.  This has been going on for about 6 months now.

If this is not related, any ideas of what it is or called.

Thanks  Mark
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:23:15 pm »
Mark:

Just a guess, from a non-physician, mind you, but I would say that anxiety is the likely cause.  I would certainly mention it to your PCP and see if a mild sleep aid could help. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 07:54:24 am »
Mark,

I too am no medical professional but I would ditto what Jim suggested. I know whenever I am stressed about something, be it work related, family related, health related etc., I get the nighttime "wake-ups". It totally sucks. Sleep aids have taken the edge off for me in the past in helping to get an uninterrupted nights worth of zzz's. But always relay your concerns to your medical professional.
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 12:06:36 pm »
Yep, sounds like anxiety to this non-medical person, too.  I've experienced it myself.  Talk to your PCP and see if there are things you can do to remedy this, either pharaceutical or natural.

Debbi, doing some of my best worrying at 3 AM...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 05:30:38 pm »
Ditto, and maybe get your heart checked by the doctor as well, just to be sure there is no cardiology problem.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:18:49 pm »
Hi Mark,
  I once had this happen as a side affect of an anti-inflamitory medication.  My doctor said it "shouldn't" be a side affect of this drug, but the problem imediately stopped when I stopped taking it.   Check with your doctor about potential side affects of any meds you're on, especially any new prescriptions.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »
Hi Mark,

Probably enough dittos, but here is another vote for anxiety.  I am currently having episodes of waking up between 2:00 a.m. and 4:00a.m., and I am pretty sure it is anxiety.  I am also pretty sure it has to do with the fact that my AN has grown this past year. I also get anxiety attacks during the day--stinks.  Get it checked out like the others have said.  A lot of people end up in the emergency room thinking they are having a heart attack when in reality they are having an anxiety attack.  But, I think you should aways have the heart checked out no matter what so be cautious and take care of yourself. 

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

JulieE

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:58:28 pm »
Hey Mark, I concur with the suggestion that you should see a Dr./Cardiologist about any other potential causes.  If ruled out, I do think there is some validity to the Anxiety suggestions.  I had similar "alarmist waking" (without the alarm) after diagnosis.  The simple fact that it swelled to larger than the original size (a common and expected reaction to your treatment, but just because you know something doesn't mean you have to like it) would cause anxiety in most folks. I'm gonna add my two cents because everyone is different, and I don't know your physical conditions or limitations - but I bought into the take a pill to counteract the anxiety, and I found I would crash later.  Then I found running would help immensely, or other phsical exsursion.  Somebody else in this thread mentioned natural, and had the jogging not fixed it, I was considereing accupuncture as my Drs. even seemed to give it credance.
Good Luck, Jules

claire1

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 08:25:47 pm »
Hi Mark

I,too, have had pre morning wake-ups with heart paplpatations. BTW---> Non-medical here, but get checked out with your PCP ,he can rule out cardiac problems and probably talk to you about your  anxiety levels. I was given a sleep aid for a week and after that never needed them again.  Also it might help to talk to a professional that deals with anxiety.  First=PCP=R/O cardiac

Best Wishes
Claire                                                                                   

goinbatty

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 08:39:10 pm »
I definitely agree with having your doc check for medical issues.  Since diagnosis, I've had intermittent periods of waking ups around 3AM.  This peaked out when I went to DC for consults in 11/07.  I was so stressed that I splurged for a massage before going to the airport.  I thought I was handling it all well but hind sight, I just hid it well from others.  In the hotel, they had TAZO calming tea.  Maybe I was just exhausted but for whatever reason, that helped out greatly. 
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change