Author Topic: on Watch and Wait/ have a question  (Read 2742 times)

sher

on Watch and Wait/ have a question
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:22:39 am »
Hi there!

How often can you have MRI's. I am wondering if I can have one at 3 months? I don't post much but am on the Forum quite a bit. Thank you so much for all the comments and info that all of you give!!!
Sher
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: on Watch and Wait/ have a question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 11:50:48 am »
Sher:

MRI scans do not use radiation and pose no health risk so you can have one as often as medically necessary.  However, they are very expensive ($1,500. and up) and health insurance won't pay for multiple scans without good reason, due to the cost.  Your doctor would have to order the MRI and justify the reason for it to the insurance company that will pay for it.  It cannot be done on a whim or just out of curiosity, unless you chose to pay for the MRI out of your personal funds.  Even then, it requires a doctor to order it..

I've had 8 MRI scans in two years, all necessary and paid for by my insurance (Blue Cross).  No ill effects.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.